BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-03-2011, 02:05 AM   #1
MattUK
Captain Unsensible
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 M240i Coupe - Estoril

Garage List
2016 BMW M240i  [0.00]
High Beam Assist

A line that reminds me of something from Alan Partridge 'Full Beeeeeem'

Anyway.. how are people finding the responsiveness of this.. I've stopped using it as it doesn't seem that smart / quick at turning off the lights when a car is in front or approaching.

Its not an option I wanted, but I did want one of the light options, and BMW 'Pretend' its a bundle, I suspect its in fact its all part of the same kit so they charge you for it.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 06:59 AM   #2
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattUK View Post
A line that reminds me of something from Alan Partridge 'Full Beeeeeem'

Anyway.. how are people finding the responsiveness of this.. I've stopped using it as it doesn't seem that smart / quick at turning off the lights when a car is in front or approaching.

Its not an option I wanted, but I did want one of the light options, and BMW 'Pretend' its a bundle, I suspect its in fact its all part of the same kit so they charge you for it.
Cool for rural backroads and residential areas. Worked well there, but would sense it's own reflection off stop signs to be another set of headlights. Not really an urban option.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 10:53 AM   #3
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

in the US its a stand alone option for $250. I checked it off but my CA told me not to get it! He said he has driven a few cars with it and it doesn't respond that well yet and is more trouble than its worth. He figures in a few years they will perfect it and include it in a light package in the US but not to get it now (also does nothing for resale). First time I ever had a dealer tell me not to get something.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 11:38 AM   #4
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

I didn't get it because I couldn't see how it could possibly be clever enough to work properly all the time and I thought I would end up blinding oncoming traffic and pedestrians. Good to see some positive feedback on it though. Sounds like it works well in certain conditions

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 04:36 PM   #5
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Got it in my 1M, and it's not that smart. It has problems on curves and turns. I suspect it would be fine in highway driving. That's why I didn't get it on the X3.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 06:04 PM   #6
cheesebag
Debadged and Alpine Weiss!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 Msport

I got it on order as part of the visability pack, is it possible to disable?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 11:11 PM   #7
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesebag View Post
I got it on order as part of the visability pack, is it possible to disable?
Yes. There are two buttons on the outer side of the turn signal stalk. The top one is for the LCD information readouts on the dashboard, and the bottom one is for activating/deactivating automatic highbeams. You can use your highbeams and turn them on/off as you please without ever using the auto function.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 03:44 PM   #8
IHS
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive 3.0D MSport

Garage List
I find the automatic dip works well although it does have to register the headlights of the other vehicle first whereas if you a doing it manually you can dip before, say, another vehicle appears over the brow of a hill although I often found that the other driver failed to respond the same so I got blinded! At least with the automatic dip the other driver is encouraged to dip as well. Does get confused by reflective signs though.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 11:58 PM   #9
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep
Drives: Like a Demon!

Garage List
2010 BMW Z4 35is  [10.00]
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
Got it in my 1M, and it's not that smart. It has problems on curves and turns. I suspect it would be fine in highway driving. That's why I didn't get it on the X3.
100% agree.
Have it on the Z4.
Am that impressed that I have turned it off. (I tried to live with it for a year, then gave up)
Did not bother to option it on the X3.

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2011, 12:07 PM   #10
paul386
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i Jet Black

I have it and it seems to work pretty well. It does get confused by reflective street signs but in more rural areas it is perfect. For $250 I found it to be a nice option. For $500? No way.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2011, 08:56 AM   #11
GenX3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

Had it once...

I had this option on a car and it never did seem to work responsively enough. Seemed like I was always monitoring it, which at that point, you might as well just take over and pull the leaver when you want.

Especially on hills and windy roads (even in rural areas). I usually can see a car's headlights before they crest a hill, so I kill my own high beams before hand. There's no way a sensor could pick that up.

Therefore, on this car, I elected not to check the option.

Packages | M-Sport | Cold I & II | Tech | Premium | Sound | BMW Apps, HUD, Net
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2011, 04:25 PM   #12
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep
Drives: Like a Demon!

Garage List
2010 BMW Z4 35is  [10.00]
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenX3 View Post
I had this option on a car and it never did seem to work responsively enough. Seemed like I was always monitoring it, which at that point, you might as well just take over and pull the leaver when you want.

Especially on hills and windy roads (even in rural areas). I usually can see a car's headlights before they crest a hill, so I kill my own high beams before hand. There's no way a sensor could pick that up.

Therefore, on this car, I elected not to check the option.
+100

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 05:37 AM   #13
SANK_CH
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: A Number 4

Well let me share my experience after 4 monthes and 18'000km. The option came in a package, so I was very curious on how it would work when I picked up my car.
And like many of you I was very upset with the result. On highways the high beam were on as other cars were in front of me, or on the other side. I discovered that in left curves it was able to recognize other users but not on right curves. Then for sure the central fence of the highway plays a role as well as it usually covers the lights of others user coming in from the opposite direction. Then on Countrysides roads, like said by other, if you see another car coming from faraway, most of the time the system doesn't see it.

Anyway 10 days ago coming back from a long trip, my windshield received a small stone. Enough to ask a replacement of the windschield. After reading this topic yesterday, I decided to give it a new try. So I used it to go back home. 15 km of city dive, 30 km of highway, 4 km of countryside road. And it worked perfectly. It turned the high beam on the only part he has to do it, and for the rest of the drive kept it off. I used it this morning, same result. Even with cars 200meters in front of me, he did not turned on the high beam.

I still need to test it on countryside's road where it could be less efficient.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 05:44 AM   #14
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

I have had this in all my bmw's and it has worked great for me.
      11-08-2011, 12:58 PM   #15
SANK_CH
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: A Number 4

small update to my previous post:
following cars on highway with a distance of 300-400 meters and the high beams are not turned on.
Country side driving 10km, worked well, even in turn up and downhill. Of course if the opposite car is coming out from a curve covered by the landscape or a house/bulding then the system will wait until the opposite car's lights are in the field of the system. Be reaction time is very quick. So for me it becomes a good option.
Appreciate 0