BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-10-2012, 11:53 AM   #1
cc3
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, GT4, M2 M140i G40

Which options retain most value??

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
It's easy to spec a vehicle with lots of nice options but from a financial point of view I wonder how much value they retain after say 2 years at trade in?? Navigation seems a must and appears to retain the most value (50% of cost?) but after that what do think?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 12:23 PM   #2
RichardBR
Second Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X3 30D Msport DSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaz26
It's easy to spec a vehicle with lots of nice options but from a financial point of view I wonder how much value they retain after say 2 years at trade in?? Navigation seems a must and appears to retain the most value (50% of cost?) but after that what do think?
There are lot's of nice cars out there with lots of options on them. I figure it all comes down to yours having a better package than the competitors. If you do they might just choose you car for a better price. You must check what's avaliable in your market and pick up something more equiped. Makes sense?

I would personally go for a bigger engine, large NAV, Panoramic roof, Bluetooth, el. leather seats, el. tailgate and perhaps the bigger soundsystem. If you add some of the cheap options as auto highbeam and climate windshield you would most likely stand out.

If you top it off with M sport it would really make a difference.

But in the end of the day it's all down to the money...
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 12:54 PM   #3
QTPie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2.0D M Sport

I think that I heard that M Sport, automatic gearbox, professional nav and sunroof were the most "valuable" options. There is some disagreement re engine size, I think.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 01:32 PM   #4
troggy1969
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335D MSport 2016

Garage List
The general rule is options don't retain value, they just help a car to sell. Nav is good for about 3 years then it's outdated and I'm not sure how updateable the BMW system is.
Big engine and auto box will lose less as a % but probably lose more in money terms due to there being less around
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 02:27 PM   #5
Borns
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 20d

"A bigger engine in Europe" is a negative.... For example, in Austria, for a 5 liter engine you would pay around 7000 USD a year just in taxes))
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 02:51 PM   #6
jsbos
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X3 28i

In the US, conservative and popular color combinations, sunroof, premium package are important.
Get what you want and enjoy it
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 03:08 PM   #7
RichardBR
Second Lieutenant
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borns View Post
"A bigger engine in Europe" is a negative.... For example, in Austria, for a 5 liter engine you would pay around 7000 USD a year just in taxes))
That depends on where you are. It differs between countries.

The thread was started by a guy from the UK. The difference in the UK between a 20D and a 30D is only GPB6300 in purchase and the emmisions is not that different. It's the same in Sweden. No additional taxes per year based on engine size. Just a annual road tax wich is equal for all personal car types. In Norway the cost of buying is a lot more because of government taxes and the difference between 20D and 30D is much more. But you don't have to pay an extra tax per year if you have a larger engine.

In the used car market the difference between engines are smaller. Myself and a lot of others would gladly pay that extra for the bigger engine on a used car because there are not many of those around compared to the standard i.e. 20D engine.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 03:36 PM   #8
Borns
Rep

I did not mean the "engine size" per se, I meant that the larger engine emits more CO2. In Austria, every engine that emits more the 160 grams per km must pay 25 euro a gram extra. For example, my previous car was Mercedes E500 (W211) - petrol. It had around 290 grams. Now do the math: 290 - 160 = 130*25 = 3250 euro*1.32 = 4290 + you have to pay annual tax for horse power, which totals to around 6-7 thousand USD... Also, the insurance will be more expensive with the bigger engine. I had it and I think case closed...
Also, don't forget fuel prices in the EU, they are exactly two times more expensive than in the US. A person who buys a "used" car will definitely care about car's "fuel consumption" A rule of thumb is: the larger the engine the more fuel it consumes. These are the reasons why in the EU the most popular model is 20d and in the US 35 and 28i.

All in all, of course, I agree that the bigger engine is much more fun to own, however, for people who count every cent in their pockets, this might be an issue...

When I lived in the US, I did not care much about fuel prices but living in Europe, I have to pay 130$ to fill up the tank))

Last edited by Borns; 04-10-2012 at 03:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 04:11 PM   #9
Dr Goethe
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 28i

Value of options

You can check this question out by simply going to whatever car-valuation website you believe in the most. Enter your car brand , year, and model; and it will ask which options you have in that vehicle. After entering the options and checking the value of your vehicle, do it again without entering whichever options you want to question. The difference in residual value is what those options are "worth". Very few options retain much residual "added value" in truth.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 09:43 PM   #10
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

If I was counting every cent, a BMW wouldn't be on my shopping list.
      04-11-2012, 03:00 AM   #11
RichardBR
Second Lieutenant
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
If I was counting every cent, a BMW wouldn't be on my shopping list.
Spot on
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 04:06 AM   #12
vojak
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3 Competition Xdrive

Only Leather and Sat Nav. The rest just make it easier to sell later on.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 04:42 AM   #13
Borns
Rep

If money is not an issue why buy a used car?

Nahoa, don't forget that you would pay 30% more for your car in Europe and much much more in annual taxes...
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 05:11 AM   #14
RichardBR
Second Lieutenant
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borns View Post
Nahoa, don't forget that you would pay 30% more for your car in Europe and much much more in annual taxes...
The thing about annual taxes are not accurate in all of Europe.... There are no difference in the annual taxes in Norway. There are no other annual tax than road tax, wich is a equal annual amount for all cars (except electrical cars and hybrids)

I can't document this, but I'm sure that there are several other countries that have the same system.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 08:17 AM   #15
jdmass
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 xDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Goethe View Post
You can check this question out by simply going to whatever car-valuation website you believe in the most. Enter your car brand , year, and model; and it will ask which options you have in that vehicle. After entering the options and checking the value of your vehicle, do it again without entering whichever options you want to question. The difference in residual value is what those options are "worth". Very few options retain much residual "added value" in truth.
Agreed. If you look at a source like Galves, commonly used by car dealers as a reference for trade in values, they tend to completely ignore options other than as a negative if an extremely common one (e.g. Automatic transmission in non-sport models) is missing.

Condition of the car and mileage seem to far out-trump any option. I wish it were otherwise 'cuz I love toys!
Previous BMWs: 2000 528i, 2003 540i, 2007 335i Sedan, 2009 335i Sedan, 2012 X3 xDrive35i
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 08:42 AM   #16
swamp
Rep
Drives: X3 30d

I reckon my electric towbar (£768 / $1223) is probably now worth the least.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 09:49 AM   #17
Borns
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardBR View Post
The thing about annual taxes are not accurate in all of Europe.... There are no difference in the annual taxes in Norway. There are no other annual tax than road tax, wich is a equal annual amount for all cars (except electrical cars and hybrids)

I can't document this, but I'm sure that there are several other countries that have the same system.
You are probably correct. From what I know, in Austria you also pay taxes from the horsepower of your car...
In Norway, cars are extremely expensive from the beginning))) As well as everything else))
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 10:38 AM   #18
JoeyO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: silver car

Options never retain much value. After finding a car with the year, engine, color, and exact condition that you want, consider yourself lucky and good luck trying to find the exact options you want. The only option that might be a deal breaker for me is leather vs vinyl seats. But if I can find a used car that meet's my first four criteria, I'm going to jump all over it.
Appreciate 0