BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-24-2013, 03:05 AM   #1
Smithy2014
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 2.0d msport Auto

Newbie about to order

Hello all, returning to the BMW fold after 6 years in a Land Rover Freelander 2, had a 2001 3 series saloon and 2005 3 series coupe before that. Very impressed with the X3 although yet to testdrive, just a couple of queries for now

1) I have read on this forum about the instrument cluster being updated for MY14 however after speaking with a local BMW dealer they have said there are no updates planned - whats the verdict?

2) Does the current instrument cluster have a digital readout of your speed, a Q5 I looked at did and I found it much easier to keep to speed limits by looking at numbers rather than a dial

3) Dependant upon the above answer I may opt for HUD - is it any good / worth the money

4) The voice activation button on the steering wheel - is this purely for phone calls or does it control other functions (ie - putting radio on etc?)

5) Is there any space in the boot for a spare wheel if I opted to buy one? Not a believer in foam spray cans and would rather have a spare although ive heard rumour there isnt room to put one?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 07:03 AM   #2
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBA

My two penny (bits) worth...

1) All I know is that you get a 'black' display if you order the car with HUD. Can't see it being worth that much other then aesthetics.

2) No digital read out, but you can set a speed warning chime which I hear on a regular basis :-)

3) HUD is expensive but will give you the digital readout. I understand the HUD was upgraded recently and is now colour (color for those in the US!)

4) The voice activation button on the steering wheel - can control other features of the car, but I never use it. More of a gimmick. The normal controls are very clear.

5) No room for a spare tyre. There is an underfloor compartment but it's too shallow for a spare. I've not heard of anyone with a space saver. Some have RFT. I just have standard 17" tyres, and have not had to use the slime kit yet...

I would recommend cutting back on the extras like HUD and go for the 3.0d rather than the 1.8/2.0d.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 03:16 PM   #3
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithy2014 View Post
Hello all, returning to the BMW fold after 6 years in a Land Rover Freelander 2, had a 2001 3 series saloon and 2005 3 series coupe before that. Very impressed with the X3 although yet to testdrive, just a couple of queries for now

1) I have read on this forum about the instrument cluster being updated for MY14 however after speaking with a local BMW dealer they have said there are no updates planned - whats the verdict?

2) Does the current instrument cluster have a digital readout of your speed, a Q5 I looked at did and I found it much easier to keep to speed limits by looking at numbers rather than a dial

3) Dependant upon the above answer I may opt for HUD - is it any good / worth the money

4) The voice activation button on the steering wheel - is this purely for phone calls or does it control other functions (ie - putting radio on etc?)

5) Is there any space in the boot for a spare wheel if I opted to buy one? Not a believer in foam spray cans and would rather have a spare although ive heard rumour there isnt room to put one?
Quick addition on some of these 2). If you set cruise control it shows your exact speed as a digital readout and then if your speed deviates there is a marker that goes red as it follows the speedo or stays green if under or at the preset speed. Has the added advantage of looking very cool

Oh, and on 1), I was told that they were expecting them in any time but it was all a bit vague. Do not trust the dealers to know about anything like this. They couldn't care less once you've ordered. Try BMW customer services instead.

And 3) I think the new HUD looks awesome. Expensive gadget but very nice touch IMHO. The instrument cluster also looks much better if you order HUD - big difference to resolution I think

4) Voice activation is dreadful. There are only so many ridiculous mistakes you can put up with, e.g. Phone Book - John Smith would open Settings etc. Never use it personally - but yes, in theory it does menu functions - although in practice you learn how to feel for radio, nav, CD etc

Post your spec if you want "help" choosing options. Enjoy your time on the configurator

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 03:18 PM   #4
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

And I agree with philtrick123 on the 30d. Get it instead of the 20d. I love my 20d but would still prefer a 30d

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0