BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-04-2012, 11:33 PM   #1
CaliRubicon
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X3 35i

Anyone else having strange locking behavior?

1 month and 1500 miles on 2012 x3 35. So far we love the car but have had a couple of strange events recently.
First I was getting fuel and locked the car with sunroof open. Went in paid and came out. Unlocked car to fuel the locked it again to go in for change. All of this with the fob. When I came out the car did not respond to the fob except I could open and shut the rear hatch. Had to unlock with the hard key in fob.

Second:the next day I was with the family out shopping and the boy and I went into a store and left mom and baby in the car with the engine running. When I came out the wife had rolled the window down halfway so I began to speak to her. As I did the boy wigled not fully opened the passenger door handle. As soon as he did the car locked all doors and rolled up passenger window. Once again fob did not work and this time as my wife was inside I was able to determine that the master lock button on the dash was also not functioning. The rear hatch was still operable though. Unlocked with key as before.

The next stop locked up as normal. When we returned I opened the rear hatch via fob and then unlocked the car via fob. As I opened one of the rear doors the alarm went off and would not stop until I started the car.

When we were back at home I tried recreating these problems but no such luck. But I did notice as I was doing so that when I giggled the door handle front passenger side that the gas hatch made a clicking sound as if the locking mechanism was actuating on and off.

Also when I went out later, maybe an hour or so after the daytime running lights were still on and I had to turn the car on then off again to get them to turn off.

I know chasing things like this can be a pain so I was hoping one of you out there had already delt with an issue like this so I could point my shop to the cause. They have it in for "evaluation" and we will see what they come up with. At least I was not told that " they all do that". But they did give me a super fresh ford escape to drive so I guess I should feel fortunate. Can't think of a ford that I have ever said that I had the pleasure of driving. Feels like a stripped down evoke. Haha I kid. Not trying to start anything. But please if you have any insight please share. Thanks and have a great day.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2012, 04:30 AM   #2
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Only thing I can offer you is that I haven't experienced any of those things and found any easy/obvious solution to it. Sounds odd. Hope the answer pops out and is easily repaired!
      04-05-2012, 08:26 AM   #3
saulgoodman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 N52T

Garage List
2015 BMW 328XI  [0.00]
Just curious if your other Key fob was inside the car or in your wife's purse when she was inside the car?

I might be wrong..but here is a clue.

If you have comfort access key then you walk away from your car with key fob in ur pocket the car locks automatically and also the intruder/occupant-motion sensor activates, not sure if it will activate when engine is running. There is a chance that system thought some occupants inside the car when primary key fob is not in the perimeter...that might trip the alarm and auto-locking.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2012, 08:41 AM   #4
bren
user
Rep
Drives: German Camaro

No mention of comfort access, but there is a blurb in the book about external interference from cell phones and the other electrical sources that could cause malfunction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivakumarbalu View Post
If you have comfort access key then you walk away from your car with key fob in ur pocket the car locks automatically.
I've tested this and found it not to be the case - at least not for a good 15 minutes.

I can't find anything in the manual to describe this either. Have you actually seen this happen? How long did it take?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2012, 08:49 AM   #5
CaliRubicon
Enlisted Member
Rep

Just had the one key with us. And I tried to walk away as well and could not get it to lock. My main concern is that the fob and the master button cease to function. So hypothetically I could get out of the car with it running and leave fob inside. The car could lock and there would be no way to unlock outside of BMW assist.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2012, 08:56 AM   #6
saulgoodman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 N52T

Garage List
2015 BMW 328XI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
I've tested this and found it not to be the case - at least not for a good 15 minutes.

I can't find anything in the manual to describe this either. Have you actually seen this happen? How long did it take?
I never tried it purposefully but it did happen for me two times,

once I had to carry lot of bags and went inside without locking. After couple of hours I realized that I didn't lock doors, came out but the doors were locked automatically.

second time I unlocked the doors but didn't open the door to get in. Went in and came out after sometime and saw the doors locked automatically, I have to unlock it again.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2012, 12:57 PM   #7
sodermalm
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivakumarbalu View Post
I never tried it purposefully but it did happen for me two times,

once I had to carry lot of bags and went inside without locking. After couple of hours I realized that I didn't lock doors, came out but the doors were locked automatically.

second time I unlocked the doors but didn't open the door to get in. Went in and came out after sometime and saw the doors locked automatically, I have to unlock it again.
I have no idea what could have caused the car to lock in the first scenario, but the automatic re-locking in the second scenario is normal. Every BMW (and VW) we've had will automatically lock the doors if you unlock them and then do not enter the vehicle (via doors or trunk/hatch) after a set time (about 3 minutes on our 7 series).
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2012, 01:02 PM   #8
bren
user
Rep
Drives: German Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by umsvenska View Post
I have no idea what could have caused the car to lock in the first scenario, but the automatic re-locking in the second scenario is normal. Every BMW (and VW) we've had will automatically lock the doors if you unlock them and then do not enter the vehicle (via doors or trunk/hatch) after a set time (about 3 minutes on our 7 series).
Yes, exactly. The second scenario I get, but I haven't seen anything that has the car lock itself otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 07:08 AM   #9
NYC_340i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M340i xDrive, '11 X3 28i

I have never experienced what you explained but I have had my share of problems.

One day my wife went shopping and I stayed in the car. After she left, I locked the door with me still inside with the key fob (locked via the button on the dash). When she came back, I forgot to unlock the doors and instead pressed the open trunk button next to the hood release. All of the sudden my car started beeping (not the alarm but the beeps from when you lock/unlock the car) and it kept going in the lock and unlock cycle. I couldn't stop it until I turned the power fully off.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 01:36 PM   #10
CaliRubicon
Enlisted Member
Rep

Well problem resolved. Took 5 days in the shop but was finally identified as a bad jbe controller module. Ordered and installed. Picked up yesterday and everything seems good again. Nice to have the x back. Had a 3 series loaner and it made the whole family really appreciate the size, comfort and higher visibility of the x. And boy did I miss the sport seats. In the river canyons around here they are essential. Thankfully it was an easy fix to a strange problem.
Appreciate 0