BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-14-2012, 03:16 PM   #1
Horsey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 35d MSport & 135i

BMW x3 or RR Evoque

After 10 years my Jeep Grand Cherokee has reached the end of its economic life …

… and so it was time to choose a new car.

Since seeing the Evoque concept some time ago, it was always my intention to get one to replace my aged Jeep.

Time passed … and then just over a week ago a friend told me they were buying an Evoque and persuaded me to go and test drive one …

Of course it would be the only weekend we had Snow in the UK and in my infinite wisdom I chose to take my wife’s BMW 135 M Sport in preference to my 4x4 rust bucket …

… all well and good till 2 am in the morning … now that was an interesting drive home!

… The 135 just has to hear rumours of snow and refuses to move … yes I know, apparently with snow tires its better than a 4x4 … blah blah … but that didn’t help me then!

… anyway I digress …

I was really taken back by the Evoque … it was a really cool looking car and my wife was convinced it was the car for me …

I drove the Prestige 2.2d …

It has a lovely spec and looks cool … but I couldn’t help being frustrated by is narrow rev range and acceleration … that said, it is faster than my Jeep.

… but I am spoilt by the 135.

The toys were cool, especially the polarised touch screen which allows the passenger to watch TV while the driver sees the Sat Nav.

The sales person was just about to demonstrate the parking assist … and somehow just as we were all watching the rear view camera and the wheel magically turn itself … *CRASH* … a Mini smashed straight into the back of us!

… The jury is out as to whether we drove into them or they drove into us … needless to say the parking sensors didn’t beep and we didn’t see a thing in the camera until the car shook from the impact … I am pretty sure it was the Mini drivers fault …

… needless to say, as cool as a toy which tells you whether a space is big enough to park in, it really helps to feel responsible and actively look for risks rather than “watch” your car do it for you … one can trust tech too much …

… thankfully it was the sales assistant driving not me … but I do feel bad for him.

Nevertheless, I thought the care was cool, although I would have preferred something with more grunt …

Anyway I was seriously considering buying the demo model (the other demo model) which the sales person said I could have in a month.

… next day, out of nowhere a friend suggested that I try the BMW x3 …

And so I did …

Remembering the days when we looked at a 1 series for my wife and we tried the 2 litre (or whatever it was) and were thoroughly disappointed until we drove the 135 (she used to have a Boxter S) … I made a point of trying the x3 35d …

WOW … what a cool car to drive.

It doesn’t have the presence of the Evoque, but I am the one on the inside and I have to drive it … and the x3 35d was just too much fun.

My wife was seriously unimpressed when I told her that I was considering the x3 over the Evoque …

… the next weekend I arranged for us both to try the 2.0 Petrol Evoque (in the hope it would have more grunt) and have her try the 35d to try and convince her it really was like driving her 135 (well sort of).

The 2.0l Petol Evoque does have more grunt … but it does whine through the range and still feels like hard work … also the Dynamic seems even more claustrophobic than the Prestige thanks to its sport seats … not helped that the petrol didn’t have the panoramic sun roof …

…and there I was, wanting to get the Evoque because it looked cool and my wife and the world wanted me to get one … and inside pining for the performance of the 35d.

We then went swiftly to the BMW dealer so I could show her the 35d …

… I still can’t defend the x3 looks compared to the Evoque … and my wife was thoroughly unimpressed with me having dragged her there.

… but after she drove it … she admitted that maybe the decision was not as clear cut as she had thought …

… and so the dilemma continue.

… with the Evoque dealer holding an employees cancelled slot for me, guaranteeing me an 8 week delivery when apparently there is a 12 month waiting list …

… everyone was telling me to get the Evoque and that I would be a fool to buy the BMW …

What a hard day it was …

… well in the end I decided that even though the Evoque was likely to be better off road …. Yes my Jeep spends its weekends in a field … always getting stuck in heavy mud … that at the end of the day, I spend most of my life on tarmac … and as cool as the Evoque is to look at … I am on the inside, and I don’t care … I have to drive it!

The Evoque just feels that bit too cramped … and paradoxically, unless I am complexly mistaken… the Evoque is WIDER than the x3 thanks to the Evoque’s enormous ears (Mirrors).

I didn’t think that a passenger (ok, my wife) being able to watch TV while I drive everywhere was enough of a reason … (and now I find DVD InMotion … am I brave enough to use it on a new BMW …)

… and so, with a deep intake of breath … I abandoned my original plans and everyone’s desire for me to buy an Evoque … and I ordered an x3.

The stress has been terrible … but somehow I feel better now having finally paid the deposit and the dilemma is over …

… I think I have made the right choice, but everyone I know (except 2 people) are telling me I am a fool.

Time will tell …

Not one to do anything by halves, I have ordered a fully loaded x3 35d M Sport …

Including …

HUD*
TV*
Professional Media package *
Visibility package*
Cold weather package
Access package
Electric seat adjustment
Variable Damper Control
Electric Tow Bar*
Panoramic Sun Roof
Professional Sound*
Top view camera*
Internet*

*Haven’t seen a demo, so my car will be the first time I see the features …

Etc …

I think the only option I left off was the boot compartment split netting 

I am pretty sure some of the features are probably frivolous ….

… the only feature I wish BMW I could have chosen was wasn’t available was an “Auxiliary Heating feature” to pre-warm the car in winter … but they don’t do it on the x3 …

I am curious as to whether anyone has managed to get any Discount on a UK 2012 x3 … what would be considered a “good” deal?

Well the order has been placed … I now have to wait 10 weeks!

… I have a few days to settle on the colour …

… a whole new nightmare …

My wife and mother have picked “White” … I am not sure I have a choice …

White looks nice, but is a bit WAG …

… I am sure it will be constantly filthy!

I will be happy once I am past the point of no return and the choice is out of my hands!

… although I am thinking of getting it made up in a Zebra print Vehicle Wrapping … but that’s probably too crass!

One thing I would like to know is how fuel economy compares in real life …

… if you take manufacturers specs for combined fuel economy

BMW 135 – 43.5 mpg (45.7mpg)*
BMW X3 35d MS – 48.7mpg
Evoque Petrol – 40.9mpg (43mpg)*
Evoque Diesel – 49.7mpg
Jeep Grand Cherokee – 39.2mpg

*normalised for Petrol/Diesel fuel price differential.

The Evoque doesn’t have a significant efficiency advantage over the x3 35d …

But when you factor the 0-60mph times …

BMW 135 – 5.6s
BMW X3 35d MS – 5.8s
Evoque Petrol – 7.1s
Evoque Diesel – 8s
Jeep Grand Cherokee – 8.2 (And mine does 9.6s after 12 years)

Is it true that for “similar” (in the loosest sense) efficiency … the 35d is massively quicker?

… how?

Anyway, I don’t know if I have made the right choice in terms of long term value, but I feel loads better having chosen the x3

Just hope I am happy with the colour!

Anyway, it’s a bit after the event, but I have really enjoyed reading everybody’s postings here … it’s a fine community and I thought I would contribute …

Thanks for sharing

P.S. Sorry if it was too waffley … and I will be sure to report back when I get it in … god … 10 weeks … how will I pass the time!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 03:36 PM   #2
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep
Drives: Like a Demon!

Garage List
2010 BMW Z4 35is  [10.00]
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
You dont get fuel efficiency WHILE setting fast 0-100 times.
That being said I drive my 30d hard, and I still get 8l per 100km compared to the manufacturers claim of 6l per 100km.
(And the 14 & 15 l per 100km I used to get in my last two petrol 4WDs)

And, man, you should have optioned the cargo net. I have it and it is fantastic for keeping loose loads where they belong.

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 03:39 PM   #3
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

Horsey, you made the right decision.

I test drove the X3 after my second test drive in the RR Evoque and that test drive sealed the deal. (OK I haven't put my money down yet but my decision to buy the X3 over the RR was made).

I think the RR is a nicer looking car but as you pointed out the RR interior is claustrophobic.

Like your Wife and Mother my Wife wants a White X3 since it will be her car four years from now. I think I'd prefer the carbon black.

p.s. I'd be glad to wait 10wks for a 35d... can't get 'em were I live.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 05:56 PM   #4
E92LNGCGY
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F97/Q5/982 GT4

You made the right choice. I test drove RX/RDX/GLK/Q5/Evoque/X3 and the choice was so obvious. To me Evoque is small and with options gets pricey. The 2L motor felt under powered and not very refined compared to the X3. 10weeks is pretty typical for factory order but well worth it. I should have mine in a few weeks. White is a great color although hard to keep clean. Congratulations on your purchase.

PS. I'm envious you can get the 35d. No diesel X3 in Canada.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 12:41 AM   #5
Jan van Zyl
Private First Class
Namibia
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 (F25) x-drive 2.0D

Have never driven the 3.5D - but believe it's a lot of fun. Have a look at babyrr.com - fuel consumption seems to be a major complaint. Think you've made the right choice though - now having to wait through the 10 weeks...
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 03:11 AM   #6
Rodion
First Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25)

Good choice. It is always good to take what you want, not what you think others would want you to take. And do not be scared "oh, what will they think about me now".

I test drove X3, Tiguan, Volvo XC60, Audi Q5 and I took the X3. It was best and I don't care if everyone thinks I am a cock if I drive a BMW. Though it might be that cocks drive Audis these days...

About the electric towbar, take a look at this:

My wife says it is a bit pervert thing, car growing a dick... but we bought it as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 03:25 AM   #7
Horsey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

The retracting tow bar looks cool ... had no idea ...

Jeep has a fixed one ... but it has been useful to keep people from "touch parking" on your behind ...

... not sure I would want to leave it extended on the x3 though ... I was super surprised to find the x3 longer than my Cherokee when I parked them side by side at the dealership ... thats probably my only worry going forwards ... its subtle but every inch counts in London!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 03:44 AM   #8
Yurka
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi, CLS55 AMG, E31 850i

Woah, that's an awesome option!
Anyone know if that's available in the U.S.? I tried building an X3 on the site but didn't see it listed as an option.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 04:06 AM   #9
RichardBR
Second Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X3 30D Msport DSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yurka View Post
Woah, that's an awesome option!
Anyone know if that's available in the U.S.? I tried building an X3 on the site but didn't see it listed as an option.
I don't think you have this option in the US. Thankfully we have it in Europe
It is, however, avaliable in Europe as a retrofit with 4,5 hours to mount. You should be able to get it as retrofit.

Not sure what part number it's got, but in the list of options it's called
"3AC - Towbar, electric"

Edit:
Found this: 3AC Towbar, electric 672.34 117.66 790.00
There are other standards in the US that in Europe on towbars, so there might be a chance that this won't work for you.

Last edited by RichardBR; 02-15-2012 at 04:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 04:42 AM   #10
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Nice review - long! Thanks for sharing

If you're going to get everything but the kitchen sink, upgrade the alloys to 19s or even 20s and add BMW Apps

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 06:09 AM   #11
Horsey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Yes, sorry, being lazy ...

It’s got the 19" and the Apps ...

Currently my biggest dilemma is that the car appears to be a March build for May delivery ...

... but if I push it back to an April build (June delivery) I can have “ECO PRO Mode” (is that any use on this car) and more interestingly the “Speed Limit Info System” (which sounds kind of useful).

Would you wait an extra 4 weeks for that?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 06:16 AM   #12
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsey View Post
Yes, sorry, being lazy ...

It’s got the 19" and the Apps ...

Currently my biggest dilemma is that the car appears to be a March build for May delivery ...

... but if I push it back to an April build (June delivery) I can have “ECO PRO Mode” (is that any use on this car) and more interestingly the “Speed Limit Info System” (which sounds kind of useful).

I think the new speed limit info may hook up with RTTI and could be pretty useful particularly with HUD. I don't know for sure though.

No idea on ECO PRO but doesn't sound like something I would wait 4 weeks for!

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 06:46 AM   #13
Rodion
First Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25)

Quote:

Might be MY 2013 if built April 2012, worth waiting IMO.

I ordered mine few months back and still waiting. It seems order-to-delivery time is shorter this year. Damn.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 08:32 AM   #14
bluedevils
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 XDrive 35i

I was deciding between the evoque and x3 too, but I think I made the right decision. I'm not sure with the rest of the world, but the US has 4 years maintenance and 4 years bmw assist (if you get the right option) built into the cost. That's peace of mind I like. I also am reading in the evoque forums complaints about the NAV system, the backup camera takes like 20 secs to kick in, and the heated windshield blocks GPS reception if you use your own navi or phone.

Jason Plato of fifth gear summed the X3 up “not a looker, but it’s a great driver.”

Last edited by bluedevils; 05-24-2013 at 08:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 11:50 AM   #15
Horsey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Spoke to the dealer and they have been super cool and changed my order to include the Speed Limit Display. I know it will delay it a bit, but hopefully they will be able to get me an early April slot ... fingers crossed!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 01:23 PM   #16
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

Horsey,

Was the speed limit display a 'no cost' option, i.e. standard on the April production?

Quote:
Spoke to the dealer and they have been super cool and changed my order to include the Speed Limit Display. I know it will delay it a bit, but hopefully they will be able to get me an early April slot ... fingers crossed!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 01:52 PM   #17
Horsey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

No, the Speed Limit Display appears to be a paid option ... £250 I believe.

... I can't help it, I am a sucker for toys, and I imagine it will complement the HUD nicely.

Also as dnw mentioned in my Optimal Build Date thread, it's the little things they don't mention ...

So I am happy to wait ... I think!
F25 X3 xDrive 35d M Sport Alpine White, Black Nevada Leather, Speed limit info, TV, Prof. Nav & Speakers, HUD, M Sport steering wheel, Sport gearbox, BMW Apps, Internet, VDC, Comfort with Powered boot, Hi-speed synch, VSS, Top View, Electric tow-bar, Heated steering, Storage, DAB, Heated electric seats, Moonroof, Adaptive High beam assist Xenons, Servotronic, Performance control, etc.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 04:26 PM   #18
calagod
Green Light
Germany
Rep
Drives: 11/11 X3 20d MPack Carbonblack

Lightbulb

Quote:
No, the Speed Limit Display appears to be a paid option ... £250 I believe.

... I can't help it, I am a sucker for toys, and I imagine it will complement the HUD nicely.

Also as dnw mentioned in my Optimal Build Date thread, it's the little things they don't mention ...

So I am happy to wait ... I think!
...I think you did 100 % right to wait 1 month to get Speed Limit Info -- I was hoping it would be available earlier, I.e. when I got my Xdry in November 2011.
NowI am a little bit gelous - - because IMO HUD is only perfect with this information in the display. I know it from our 5 series F11 and it is really a nice gadget.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 03:17 AM   #19
Yurka
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi, CLS55 AMG, E31 850i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardBR View Post
I don't think you have this option in the US. Thankfully we have it in Europe
It is, however, avaliable in Europe as a retrofit with 4,5 hours to mount. You should be able to get it as retrofit.

Not sure what part number it's got, but in the list of options it's called
"3AC - Towbar, electric"

Edit:
Found this: 3AC Towbar, electric 672.34 117.66 790.00
There are other standards in the US that in Europe on towbars, so there might be a chance that this won't work for you.

Thanks for the help, I'll look into it!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 03:33 AM   #20
RichardBR
Second Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X3 30D Msport DSB

This is a test of Evouqe in a Norwegian paper. http://www.vg.no/bil-og-motor/artikk...artid=10075290

For those of you that can't read Norwegian, here is a short summary:

They look at a car in 8 different categories: Price, Design, Interiour, Safety, Reseller Value, Driving experience, Environment, Warranty and owner costs.

The RR is set up against X1 and Q3 as competitors. NOT the X3 because RR is a smaller car and is in another category. The RR is more expensive that the X1 and Q3, and even the Mercedes GLK class.

It got 3 out of 6 for the interior and reseller value. 2 out of 6 for the price.

The total score for the RR was 4,15 out of 6 wich is not good.

When they tested the X3 last year, it scored 5,5 out of 6 wich is really good.

http://www.vg.no/bil-og-motor/artikk...artid=10083342

I think the RR looked great in the first pictures, but the minute I saw the car in real life, I quickly decided against it. It's too small and looks like i big Mini Countryman. Besides it has the same price as the X3. Unless you go for the cheaper 2 wheel drive version.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 06:38 PM   #21
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep
Drives: Like a Demon!

Garage List
2010 BMW Z4 35is  [10.00]
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardBR View Post
This is a test of Evouqe in a Norwegian paper. http://www.vg.no/bil-og-motor/artikk...artid=10075290

For those of you that can't read Norwegian, here is a short summary:

They look at a car in 8 different categories: Price, Design, Interiour, Safety, Reseller Value, Driving experience, Environment, Warranty and owner costs.

The RR is set up against X1 and Q3 as competitors. NOT the X3 because RR is a smaller car and is in another category. The RR is more expensive that the X1 and Q3, and even the Mercedes GLK class.

It got 3 out of 6 for the interior and reseller value. 2 out of 6 for the price.

The total score for the RR was 4,15 out of 6 wich is not good.

When they tested the X3 last year, it scored 5,5 out of 6 wich is really good.

http://www.vg.no/bil-og-motor/artikk...artid=10083342

I think the RR looked great in the first pictures, but the minute I saw the car in real life, I quickly decided against it. It's too small and looks like i big Mini Countryman. Besides it has the same price as the X3. Unless you go for the cheaper 2 wheel drive version.
Gotta love the Norwegians.
Go Norway! Yay!

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 11:12 AM   #22
jk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '12 x3 35i

from consumer reports, re the evoque: "... [it] momentarily- but repeatedly- lifted a wheel in our avoidance maneuver. That is disconcerting and reduces driver confidence during emergency maneuvers."
Appreciate 0