BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-02-2011, 03:13 PM   #1
shabbs81
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 5 SERIES 2007

Diesel

Can anyone please tell me what are possible problen can occur if i drive my X3 with low quality diesel. Because in our country we have only one kind of diesel which is not thst much purified.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 06:08 AM   #2
powertech83
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 20d

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabbs81 View Post
Can anyone please tell me what are possible problen can occur if i drive my X3 with low quality diesel. Because in our country we have only one kind of diesel which is not thst much purified.
Are the diesel engines officially sold by bmw in your country? If yes, bmw should have a "local solution" for you. Could be modification of the engine/emission system, or modify the maintenance schedule (ie. replacing fuel filter sooner), etc. We have several diesel fuel grade here, and most manufactures detuned their common-rail diesel engines to allow their customer to use low quality diesel fuel. Some extra maintenance work are also performed.
Using low qulity diesel fuel on unmodified diesel engine designed to take higher quality fuel could result in blockage of the catalytic converter, increased engine wear, and eventually the particle in the dirty fuel could damage the injector system. Usually manufacturers won't even offer diesel engine if the local diesel fuel quality is not up to their standard.
BMW, as currently the only premium brand to offer diesel engines here, only allow us to use higher quality diesel fuel.
Appreciate 0