BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-29-2014, 09:07 AM   #23
woodchuck1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 X-drive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petex3 View Post
....To be honest from a cost factor I haven't seen a huge difference between non run flats and run flats, unless you are happy to go to a cheaper brand of tyre.
Tire Rack's price on the 245/50R18 Pirelli P Zero run flats that came with my X3 is $372/tire. The Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires I replaced them with are $204/tire. That's just a little over half the cost of the OEM Pirellis (55%.)
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2014, 02:24 PM   #24
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Gee, I didn't think this topic would have had so many threads when I started it It's a personal choice, run flats or not..so, personally, I prefer not...but had no choice when buying the X3 and was the only thing about it I didn't like.

I don't want to take up room in the back for a spare so my plan is to carry the following gear with me...
- 17mm long neck plastic sleeve 6pt socket
- 18" breaker bar, half inch drive
- Portable 12v air pump (have had one for years and never used it and it fits under the back floor)
- Old fashion puncture repair kit (you know, the reamer, sticky strips, sticky strip injector, glue)
- Jack from my 330 that just happens to fit in the tiny cargo space under the back floor and onto the jack points of the X, perfectly. This jack does in fact lift the X3 enough to get the tire off if I have to.
- A small bottle of home made soap juice to help find the puncture.

I've searched all the run flats for this car and have compared them to equal performance non run flats...the run flats were always more expensive (by a large margin) and came with poor user reviews. I drive the car 95% of the time, the wife? well, she can call me on her cell if the TPMS throw a warning.

So there you have it. By the way, my BMW dealer actually recommended I buy the portable BMW tire/slime kit (ie. Mobility System in BMW language) if I were to go non run flats but in reading my manual, it specifically says (on page 81 (2011 X3)) that the use of such a system may damage the TPM wheel electronics. Also, when looking on line at the pump/slime kits, including the BMW branded ones, I saw the same warning. Still, I may buy a can, not sure yet.
For me, unless the sidewall blows out, repairing a puncture is quite simple, providing you can find it

Thanks for all the chatter on this topic, good reading!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2014, 02:58 PM   #25
akshay1234
Private First Class
India
Rep
Drives: E90 320D, F25 X3 30D

Garage List
2011 BMW 320D  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by asinrute View Post
I was asking in a tyre dealer about changing to non run flats and he said be careful, because he had a customer with a M5 and BMW had refused his warranty claim because he had changed to non run flats. Can't really see why, but I will check with BMW before changing. Has anyone else heard this
All M cars come stock with normal tubeless tyres, so that has to be BS. Here in India too, the dealers sometimes say that you won't get warranty if you change from RFTs, but I've never seen anyone actually being denied warranty for it.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2014, 05:59 PM   #26
woodchuck1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

In over 40 years of driving I've never had a catastrophic tire blowout that needed to be changed on the side of the road, maybe because I buy good tires and change them when they need it. All the flats I've had were due to punctures by nails or screws, and most of those were slow leaks that never actually went flat. Often I'd discover them at home in the morning after sitting overnight. All were a simple matter for a tire shop to fix for about $20. Most leaks were slow enough that I could add air and safely drive to the tire shop.

I had a similar puncture and very slow leak in a Pirelli run flat on the BMW. The tire shop was willing to attempt to repair it and they tried but could not. Even though the tire was never driven with less than 20 psi in it I had to locate and buy a new Pirelli run flat, and then I had 3 half worn tires and a new one. It took about 2 days to resolve and cost over $400. In the same situation with conventional tires, I still could have driven to the tire shop, but they could have fixed it in 15 minutes for $20 and I would have been on my way. That's when I decided to ditch the run flats.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2014, 02:43 AM   #27
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBA

Just a couple of notes-
1-The cheaper 12 volt inflators available on ebay take forever to inflate a tyre. Fortunately I had Non-RFT 17" as standard so received the official BMW kit. I've used the BMW 12 volt pump which is in the kit and it's a lot faster.
2-My local 'chain' tyre dealer will not repair RFT tyres, the small local independent will. As per the other posts, I'm not sure why. If you get a clean nail puncture in the main tread, then the repair should be the same RFT or Non-RFT? (as long as you haven't driven on a very deflated tyre for far)
3- Interesting point here about Market Share of RFT-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Run-flat_tire
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2014, 04:18 AM   #28
ianfp
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40D M Sport

I couldn't be more pleased with my non run flat tires. The car is less choppy on rough roads! I bought the BMW compressor kit at the same time.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-30-2014, 09:32 AM   #29
TonyX3driver
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 (2011), X5 F15 (2017)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchuck1 View Post
In over 40 years of driving I've never had a catastrophic tire blowout that needed to be changed on the side of the road, maybe because I buy good tires and change them when they need it. All the flats I've had were due to punctures by nails or screws, and most of those were slow leaks that never actually went flat. Often I'd discover them at home in the morning after sitting overnight. All were a simple matter for a tire shop to fix for about $20. Most leaks were slow enough that I could add air and safely drive to the tire shop.

I had a similar puncture and very slow leak in a Pirelli run flat on the BMW. The tire shop was willing to attempt to repair it and they tried but could not. Even though the tire was never driven with less than 20 psi in it I had to locate and buy a new Pirelli run flat, and then I had 3 half worn tires and a new one. It took about 2 days to resolve and cost over $400. In the same situation with conventional tires, I still could have driven to the tire shop, but they could have fixed it in 15 minutes for $20 and I would have been on my way. That's when I decided to ditch the run flats.
His is scary. Nice examle how the new technologies make ouy lifes easier and costless....
BTW- why is not possible to seal regular puncture on FRT??
Will wisit my friend who's owning small car service shop to ask...
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2014, 03:32 PM   #30
woodchuck1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyX3driver View Post
BTW- why is not possible to seal regular puncture on FRT??...
When they tried to fix mine, they took the tire off the rim and tried to grind the inside smooth around the puncture so they could glue a flat rubber patch on the inside (the same way they'd normally fix a non run flat tire.) The inside where they ground it down started to de-laminate and fall apart such that they didn't think they could make a patch seal over it.

About compressor/slime sealant kits, I bought one made by Continental from Tire Rack. It's similar to the BMW one, but about half the price.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 01:46 PM   #31
TonyX3driver
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 (2011), X5 F15 (2017)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchuck1 View Post
When they tried to fix mine, they took the tire off the rim and tried to grind the inside smooth around the puncture so they could glue a flat rubber patch on the inside (the same way they'd normally fix a non run flat tire.) The inside where they ground it down started to de-laminate and fall apart such that they didn't think they could make a patch seal over it.

About compressor/slime sealant kits, I bought one made by Continental from Tire Rack. It's similar to the BMW one, but about half the price.

Ok, i see. So it looks like not only sidewalls different on RFT. Will visit my friend and get some info about after get home later this week.
Good point about sealant, wiil check it out. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 06:50 PM   #32
Pitiful Old Man
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

I can absolutely understand brissim's viewpoint when traveling those long, lonely roads. In those circumstances, a spare is absolutely needed and a slime kit is not adequate. In our situation, I'm in PeteX3's camp, worried more about the wife getting home safe, so will stick with the run-flats.

Has anyone every actually used a slime kit? Were the results good? My one-time experience, many years ago, was not good. Even though it was a puncture through the tread and not the sidewall, the slime had little or no sealing effect.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 09:10 PM   #33
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Interested in hearing those who used slime experiences.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 06:33 PM   #34
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

New wheels & tires arrived....here's a couple of pix. So, now I can rotate, am ready for winter and with a slightly taller profile, hopefully a better ride. Am now selling the OEM wheels/tires. The pix are at a strange angle but the distance from the top of the tire to the bottom of the fender well is the same as with the OEM's.

Thanks for all the chatter on this topic, much appreciated!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-03-2014, 01:55 PM   #35
bagekko
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lots of BMWs

Garage List
2018 M4 Vert  [0.00]
2006 Z4M Roadster  [0.00]
1995 540i  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2019 i3 Rex  [0.00]
2021 X7 40i MSport  [0.00]
I havent used it in any of my BMWs and never would. Everyone says it ruins the TPMS sensor and maybe the valve too, since I have AAA, a tow is free vs $100 TPMS sensor replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X4guy View Post
Interested in hearing those who used slime experiences.
After seeing this thread lately, I began to think about the next set of tires on the wifes X3, I really want RFT, the snow Nokians are RFT. I can not believe what a poor selection there is of High Perf RFT tires for my 18" M Sport stock rims, and secondly those poor selections are outrageous in price!

When it comes time in 1.5 yrs I dont know what I will do. I cant have her driving on summer tires in Nov and Mar/Apr. Assuming the RFT for summer tires is better than all seasons.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2014, 02:02 PM   #36
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Want the thrill View Post
Yep. Ditched mine about a year ago and went with Conti Extreme DWS and love them. Don't miss the run flats at all.
2 weeks with my DWS

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 0
      12-03-2014, 05:00 PM   #37
woodchuck1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagekko View Post
I havent used it in any of my BMWs and never would. Everyone says it ruins the TPMS sensor and maybe the valve too, since I have AAA, a tow is free vs $100 TPMS sensor replacement.
I read that they can just peel the dried slime off the sensor and it's usually OK, but I have no personal experience with it.

Quote:
After seeing this thread lately, I began to think about the next set of tires on the wifes X3, I really want RFT, the snow Nokians are RFT. I can not believe what a poor selection there is of High Perf RFT tires for my 18" M Sport stock rims, and secondly those poor selections are outrageous in price!
This has baffled me from the start. Why would a performance brand like BMW limit it's customers to a tiny fraction of the available tires, and a pretty crummy fraction at that? I could see Lexus or Cadillac doing that based on the needs and priorities of their customers, but not BMW. Great tires are crucial for performance.

Quote:
When it comes time in 1.5 yrs I dont know what I will do. I cant have her driving on summer tires in Nov and Mar/Apr. Assuming the RFT for summer tires is better than all seasons.
It's a tough decision, and a very personal one. I thought long and hard about it, and so far I'm glad I ditched the run flats. I'd feel better if I had a compact spare and a jack back there, though.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2014, 09:06 PM   #38
gc3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 x35i

I'm okay with the RFT...at least until I have a problem. I do wish the OEM tires on my build had not been the frigging Goodyear LS2, however...
      12-04-2014, 06:39 AM   #39
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
They now sell slime that does not ruin the TPMS. It advertises it right on the can.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2014, 03:09 PM   #40
droftrah
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3 M40i

Garage List
After reading this thread, I'm still caught in the middle on whether or not to go away from run flats for winter tires....

My OEM crapyears are almost dead, after only 25k.... and my tire guy is trying to get me on a set of Pirelli winter carving edge run flats, but I feel they are too aggressive of a winter tire. I really want the Sottozero 3, but Pirelli has no more stock of those in run flat...

Should I go with a non-RFT?????

I'm so on the fence about this, no one has any experience fixing a flat with a kit? (Don't wanna carry a spare) Also, how is turn in and response in a standard compared to an RFT for those who switched on their X3s?

Last question: If I decide to stick with run flats, any recommendations for more performance based winter sets?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2014, 04:06 PM   #41
Scandic24
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: X4 30d MSport

My upcoming X4 is my fourth new BMW since 2007 and I'm getting non-RFT winter tires....as usual. Never had a tire kit but thinking about getting the BMW-mobility kit, just in case. IF I was to have a flat, I'm sure the goo and compressor will fix it good enough to get me to a tire shop.
Can't make any recommendations, in my case it's all about safety.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2014, 05:06 PM   #42
Mingstar88
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch35iM View Post
After reading this thread, I'm still caught in the middle on whether or not to go away from run flats for winter tires....

My OEM crapyears are almost dead, after only 25k.... and my tire guy is trying to get me on a set of Pirelli winter carving edge run flats, but I feel they are too aggressive of a winter tire. I really want the Sottozero 3, but Pirelli has no more stock of those in run flat...

Should I go with a non-RFT?????

I'm so on the fence about this, no one has any experience fixing a flat with a kit? (Don't wanna carry a spare) Also, how is turn in and response in a standard compared to an RFT for those who switched on their X3s?

Last question: If I decide to stick with run flats, any recommendations for more performance based winter sets?
my summer/spring/fall set is DWS all season
my winter is blizzak lm25v run flat, got them used, you get get the newer version of lm25.
2 sets of wheels/tires, pretty much set until i get bored of the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2014, 06:28 PM   #43
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Slime or not to slime

Ran across this on the tube, maybe you've seen it but thought I'd give the link since so many of the threads here are talking about it. I've never used it, don't know if I ever will, the jury is still out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_MCadBXTW4

Went for my initial ride today after putting the Continental ExtremeContact DWS in order to sync the TPMS sensors to the car, all went well. I purposely went with a higher sidewall due to the catastrophic conditions of our New York roads. Between the stiff sport suspension and the run flats, it was not an enjoyable ride. The Conti's performed well but didn't push them, they're too new yet.

I thought about keeping the OEM staggered set but finally decided that unless I move to a state with decent roads, I'll just be back where I started. Gotta move on so I've listed them and am not looking back!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2014, 08:53 PM   #44
beats
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 911 GTS

I put on a set of 18" blizzak ws80 for winter, non runflat and can't believe how much better the car rides vs the summers (19" runflats). They are winters, and slightly bigger sidewall, but it feels so much smoother, and composed. I will be replacing my summers with regular rubber and carrying the slime kit. Total improvement to the car IMO.
Appreciate 0