BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-31-2011, 09:58 PM   #1
sand99
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 X5/F80 M3

Is smartphone integration exclusive to iPhone?

Okay, so I'm just about ready to place my order for an X3 35i. I've got the final price worked out (thanks for the BMW Salem tip MA78!!) and now I'm just trying to go over the options list one last time before I sign on the dotted line.

I have a question on phone compatibility with smartphone integration. As best I can tell, this feature should basically be called "iPhone integration" instead of smartphone integration, as I can't find a list of phones it works with other than the iPhone.

I've got a blackberry now, but my company will be switching from bberry to android in the next year. I'm trying to figure out if there are any uses for smartphone integration if you don't own an iPhone? The only semi-useful feature I could maybe use this option for would be to charge my iPod touch, and I'm not even sure if it can do that!

Does anyone know if BMW plans to add support for more phones in the near future? My Bberry drops calls every once in awhile, so it would be great if I could use smartphone integration to boost my cell signal.

I'm definitely getting the technology package so I have no problems adding smartphone integration to my order also, but as best I can tell I'll have no use for this feature.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2011, 12:44 AM   #2
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

You get more functionality with a Blackberry than you will with an iPhone. Office for one (reading emails and texts out loud, calendar synch etc). I think you're confusing smartphone integration with mobile applications (6NR) which is exclusively for the iPhone

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2011, 09:05 AM   #3
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
You get more functionality with a Blackberry than you will with an iPhone. Office for one (reading emails and texts out loud, calendar synch etc). I think you're confusing smartphone integration with mobile applications (6NR) which is exclusively for the iPhone
You don't need either one for it to read e-mails from the phone, thats included with the mobile office which is in the tech package (assuming you are in the US because you mention Tech package which I don't think Europe has)
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2011, 09:45 AM   #4
sand99
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Yep, I'm getting the technology package, which includes Mobile Office (6NL) so I'm good to go there.

According to BMW USA, smartphone integration (6NF) adds the following features:
1) allows access to stored music (don't need this feature)
2) can improve signal reception
3) recharges the battery

I've found the list of compatible phones for the X3 and which Bberry's support Mobile Office features like email, SMS, calendar, etc, but it doesn't mention anything about smartphone integration compatibility. If I can get the latter two 6NL features to work with my phone I'd order it, but I'm skeptical if it will work based on the amount of info I've found so far.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2011, 10:03 AM   #5
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by sand99 View Post
Yep, I'm getting the technology package, which includes Mobile Office (6NL) so I'm good to go there.

According to BMW USA, smartphone integration (6NF) adds the following features:
1) allows access to stored music (don't need this feature)
2) can improve signal reception
3) recharges the battery

I've found the list of compatible phones for the X3 and which Bberry's support Mobile Office features like email, SMS, calendar, etc, but it doesn't mention anything about smartphone integration compatibility. If I can get the latter two 6NL features to work with my phone I'd order it, but I'm skeptical if it will work based on the amount of info I've found so far.
It's just the preparation for the cradle that sits in the arm rest from that description. All of these features are available to iPhones and other smartphones. I think you have to buy a cradle too (specific to your phone)

On the other point I was talking about general compatibility. BMW Office is not compatible with iPhones at all but it is compatible with Blackberrys and other smartphones. The connection is wireless (Bluetooth) so no need for cradle

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2011, 10:45 AM   #6
sand99
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
It's just the preparation for the cradle that sits in the arm rest from that description. All of these features are available to iPhones and other smartphones. I think you have to buy a cradle too (specific to your phone)

On the other point I was talking about general compatibility. BMW Office is not compatible with iPhones at all but it is compatible with Blackberrys and other smartphones. The connection is wireless (Bluetooth) so no need for cradle
Ah gotcha, thanks sfax! Sounds like I'll go ahead and get it with the hopes that a cradle will be made available for my phone at some point in the future.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2011, 10:57 AM   #7
iFroze
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 35i

Except to be careful with bluetooth security:
http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/bluetooth4.htm
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2011, 02:54 PM   #8
Razel
Rider and driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

HTD Incredible (Android) works fine. Phone calls with three people speaking in the car and all conversation was understood. So, cellphone conversation in the car: check
Sucked up all my contacts, and the Navigation system now has the addresses of everyone I put an address in the cellphone contacts. Navigation: check.
Music? No music stored on my cell phone. Haven't had any reason to do that.

All good for me, anyway.

I work for Keyser Söze
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2011, 04:49 PM   #9
sand99
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razel View Post
HTD Incredible (Android) works fine. Phone calls with three people speaking in the car and all conversation was understood. So, cellphone conversation in the car: check
Sucked up all my contacts, and the Navigation system now has the addresses of everyone I put an address in the cellphone contacts. Navigation: check.
Music? No music stored on my cell phone. Haven't had any reason to do that.

All good for me, anyway.
Agreed, I see no reason to put music on my cell either. Thanks for the feedback. I'll definitely add this option to the list now!

Do you feel 6NF improved your signal reception?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2011, 06:26 PM   #10
Razel
Rider and driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by sand99 View Post
Do you feel 6NF improved your signal reception?
To be honest, I don't know. I've had pretty good reception with the phone (on Verizon). I'm not on the phone that much, and the only spotty areas have been either stairwells or elevators.

I work for Keyser Söze
Appreciate 0