BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-31-2011, 09:35 AM   #1
acove
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 528xi & 2011 X3 2.8i

Picked up my 2011 X3 28i Saturday

Car drives great, has a lot of power, nice and smooth compared to the old model. iDrive is much easier to use than in my 2008 5 series. Much nicer overall than the old x3. We considered getting a 2010 x3 but decided to wait. I thought the handling was going to be much more on point as the 328xi we used to have, but it is a truck and still handles better than any truck I ever owned.

All of that being said. There was an issue with our order, the dealer ordered it with the wrong interior trim so of course we weren't happy. My options were to either place a new order or take what they had ordered for me since they wouldn't change the 5 pieces of trim for me. The reasons they gave me why they couldn't do it after the fact were ridiculous. Little did they know, I used to be a technician there a long time ago and I also worked in a body shop for several years so I know what's involved, what a joke. They did take some money off the price but it wasn't about the money, if we couldn't afford the truck we wouldn't have purchased it.

The issue had nothing to do with the CA, it was the manager who put the order through at the dealer. What a big disappointment. We placed the order mid November. My wife didn't care what we did at that point, it wasn't like we didn't have 2 cars already. I wasn't going to take it but I really don't care too much about interior/exterior colors. The truck colors were picked out by my wife since it's hers and I liked them, I was unhappy because it was hers and we waited so long for it. This is the first time we custom ordered something and def. the last.

Anyway, bottom line is my CA tried making it work the best he could. The Finance Manager I dealt with that day was great. The other people I dealt with, not so much. After this experience, I wouldn't order another one from them. It's a shame, this is our 3rd BMW and this being the second from this dealership.

I don't really want to hear what everyone else would have done or would do in this situation, I had a choice of not taking it but decided to take it anyway.

My point of posting this is to make sure that you all confirm what has been ordered with a print out. I wasn't given one. I just assumed they were able to place the order with the options I wanted. Clearly, they couldn't handle it. Don't go by what it shows online either. Mine had the correct trim online.

Good luck everyone.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 10:07 AM   #2
Tauvil
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i - Black Sapphire

Yikes, sorry to hear about your misfortune. This is a HUGE concern of mine as, while I like my CA on a personal level (he's placed me in my previous 2 BMWs and is as friendly as it gets), he's also nearing retirement and I've caught him on several occasions forgetting things I've told him, including specifics on my order's specs. It would be nice if a completed order generates an automatic email to the buyer with all order details. I'd feel much better than the 100% verbal ordering process I've experienced.

Anyway, fingers crossed. Ordered late-December with a mid-February production date.

Glad you're enjoying the new car!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 10:10 AM   #3
Sp82
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5/G30 5er

dont let it be your last time custom ordering a BMW...I've custom ordered my wifes X3, my 335, and my previous 4 BMW's, and my 2 others in my family, and we've NEVER had a problem with our order..just double check your order sheet next time!

also

Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 10:22 AM   #4
acove
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

I'll post some pics, just didn't have any time yet and the weather has been horrible up here. I was going to take some pics the day of pickup but forgot my camera and I didn't want to snap any with my phone. When my wife gets back from her work trip with the truck, will post some.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 12:02 PM   #5
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by acove View Post
Car drives great, has a lot of power, nice and smooth compared to the old model. iDrive is much easier to use than in my 2008 5 series. Much nicer overall than the old x3. We considered getting a 2010 x3 but decided to wait. I thought the handling was going to be much more on point as the 328xi we used to have, but it is a truck and still handles better than any truck I ever owned.

All of that being said. There was an issue with our order, the dealer ordered it with the wrong interior trim so of course we weren't happy. My options were to either place a new order or take what they had ordered for me since they wouldn't change the 5 pieces of trim for me. The reasons they gave me why they couldn't do it after the fact were ridiculous. Little did they know, I used to be a technician there a long time ago and I also worked in a body shop for several years so I know what's involved, what a joke. They did take some money off the price but it wasn't about the money, if we couldn't afford the truck we wouldn't have purchased it.

The issue had nothing to do with the CA, it was the manager who put the order through at the dealer. What a big disappointment. We placed the order mid November. My wife didn't care what we did at that point, it wasn't like we didn't have 2 cars already. I wasn't going to take it but I really don't care too much about interior/exterior colors. The truck colors were picked out by my wife since it's hers and I liked them, I was unhappy because it was hers and we waited so long for it. This is the first time we custom ordered something and def. the last.

Anyway, bottom line is my CA tried making it work the best he could. The Finance Manager I dealt with that day was great. The other people I dealt with, not so much. After this experience, I wouldn't order another one from them. It's a shame, this is our 3rd BMW and this being the second from this dealership.

I don't really want to hear what everyone else would have done or would do in this situation, I had a choice of not taking it but decided to take it anyway.

My point of posting this is to make sure that you all confirm what has been ordered with a print out. I wasn't given one. I just assumed they were able to place the order with the options I wanted. Clearly, they couldn't handle it. Don't go by what it shows online either. Mine had the correct trim online.

Good luck everyone.
what trim did you get and what trim did you want?
we got the standard wood trim
and my wife now likes the aluminium trim
maybe we can trade
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 02:55 PM   #6
acove
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

We wanted Aluminum as well but Fineline Siena wood trim was installed. I would have at least settled for Fineline Wave Wood Trim .

Last edited by acove; 01-31-2011 at 02:57 PM.. Reason: -----
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 07:47 PM   #7
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Sorry to hear about mess-up with your order. It's not like it's rocket science. You pick the stuff, they itemize it, they give you a price. You'd think they could key it in properly. Not like there's much else to do. A little focus and it's nailed. I'd be seriously bummed; as you said, particularly so if it was for my wife. Bummed for y'all and a bit worried about mine that's on order! I confirmed 4 times, I hope that was enough.
      02-03-2011, 07:46 PM   #8
acove
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Here are some pics as I promised. Was taken later in the day. I snapped some with the flash and some without the flash which is why some are grainy. Now that I have driven it more, I'm really impressed with the way it drives. A lot more zippier than my 5 series.

Exterior Color: Jet Black
Interior: Leather Nevada Mojave
Trim: Fineline Siena wood trim
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 07:51 PM   #9
JamesBimmer
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 28i

Looks great! I originally had that color combo, changed, and am now regretting it!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 08:02 PM   #10
acove
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Glad you like it. We didn't order it with the wood trim, we wanted the aluminum, but I'm kinda diggin it now!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 08:05 PM   #11
fedinand
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3, '11 GTI

I think it goes better with the wood than the aluminum. I think this is another color similar to chestnut that is hard to get a good grasp on the color from pics - is it more brown or is it more grey?
      02-03-2011, 08:32 PM   #12
maestroX2
Private
Rep
Drives: 328i

Nice color. We ordered space gray/mojave/wave wood. What all weather mat u hvae? Bmw?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 08:50 PM   #13
Brutus1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 x3 -Alpine white

Are those the standard wheels that came with yours or part of a package? Even though I ordered the sports Activity package I told my CA I wanted the ones like yours which was on the pre-production model shown at the dealership. I am due to pick it up Monday at the PCD and emailed my CA to clarify the wheels-he said, "those could have come from a 3 series but I am sure the wheels BMW selected will look great on it so we shall see and go from there!" I ordered what I wanted so it had better be right! One assumes on something this expensive people could get things right and I see you being disappointed.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 06:20 AM   #14
mike185
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 X28i ; M235i xdrive Convert

Garage List
Congrats !
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 07:19 AM   #15
Sp82
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5/G30 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus1 View Post
Are those the standard wheels that came with yours or part of a package? Even though I ordered the sports Activity package I told my CA I wanted the ones like yours which was on the pre-production model shown at the dealership. I am due to pick it up Monday at the PCD and emailed my CA to clarify the wheels-he said, "those could have come from a 3 series but I am sure the wheels BMW selected will look great on it so we shall see and go from there!" I ordered what I wanted so it had better be right! One assumes on something this expensive people could get things right and I see you being disappointed.

If your ordered the Sports Act. package, chances are you are going to get the 18" wheels that come with it...I'm saying this because I ordered this pacakge, and tried EVERYTHING i could to get them to put the 19's that are an option on the 3.5, I even said I'd pay whatever difference, and they still wouldnt do it.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 07:35 AM   #16
acove
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Those are the standard wheels that come with the 28i.

As far as the color goes, it's def not on the gray side, it's more like milk chocolate to me. The online configurator needs work, the color looks gray when you look at it on the computer. I tried it from 4 different screens, they all looked the same.

If someone gets the Mojave interior with wave wood, I would love to see it.

Now as far as the mats go, they are bmw's. We also have the carpet mats on order. The dealer threw them both in for us.
      02-04-2011, 03:36 PM   #17
davidwfx
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 3.5i

Would it be possible to get a shot of the Mojave interior with a gray card or macbeth chart in frame? That will make it easy to neutralize the photo and really get a sense of what the color is. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 11:08 AM   #18
alpineweiss
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, F25 X3

Congrats! Mojave seems to be a colour that needs to be appreciated in person. The sample I saw at my dealer looked good.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 02:44 PM   #19
JTreehorn23
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Bummer they goofed from your original order but I think the wood is a nice combo with that color leather, the aluminum with the Mojave might have made things to cold looking day in/day out. Enjoy it.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 03:20 PM   #20
acove
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Thanks all!
      03-28-2011, 12:39 PM   #21
jacb1301
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35d AW-Tobacco

Mojave leather?

ACOVE,

We just ordered our X3 as well. We originally ordered the space grey ext with black interior. But we are considering making a change to either the mineral or white ext with the mojave interior. So you are pretty happy with the mojave? Like you, this vehicle is for my wife and I just want to get her a really nice combination. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 01:38 PM   #22
Hawkshaw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive28i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Nice!