BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-04-2011, 05:24 AM   #1
ErbyX3
Rep
Drives: X3 2.0 D SE on order

Basic Spec X3, ordered Nov due May

X3 2.0d SE ordered on November 5th. Received status 5055 (confirmed by Prod. Control) on the 30th March. Due for delivery middle of May.

Spec

Space Grey
Auto box
Sports Steering Wheel
DAB
Bluetooth (6NH)
Towbar - fully electric

Apart from above standard everything inc. trims, wheels etc

(Just how did an automatic and caravanning happen by my mid 30's??)

Most of the people on here seem to have gone for every option available, adding about £10k to the price, but with company car tax here in the UK as well as the lease rates I just couldn't justify (afford) the extra. The option for me was a specced RAV 4, Tiguan, Santa Fe etc or a "basic" X3, without even test driving the X3 I'm sure I've gone down the right route.

Looking forward to reviewing a virtually option free car and hopefully saying that it's not essential to spend >£40k to get a decent X3.

Have been an avid follower of the forum for a few months, reading about it on here made me actually believe the car existed and that I hadn't just dreamed it up.

btw saw my first one yesterday, titanium silver I think, near Wrexham.

Last edited by ErbyX3; 04-04-2011 at 08:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 05:55 AM   #2
tank531
Deckhand
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 2.0D SE xDrive (Sep 11)

Welcome to the forum, I too am one of the low spec. members. You still have time to upgrade after reading all the influence on this site. I think most people 'spend more than they wanted to' on spec.

Your early November order, before the big demand, looks like quite a wait. I would have thought you would have got your by now and joined the exclusive club of real ownership.

Do you think the DAB will work in Wales? I was not able to find spec. that told me it would switch automatically to FM in the event of poor DAB signal?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 06:10 AM   #3
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Congratulations on your order!! Welcome to the forum also. You definitely made the right decision getting an X3 over something like a Tiguan. You'll also get better fuel economy not having larger alloys or run flats.

That seems a very long wait for an early Nov order . I ordered late Oct and took delivery end of Feb

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 06:13 AM   #4
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tank531 View Post
Do you think the DAB will work in Wales? I was not able to find spec. that told me it would switch automatically to FM in the event of poor DAB signal?
DAB does work in Wales. Drove to Pembrokeshire and had pretty good coverage. I think you can set it to switch to FM automatically but haven't set this up or really needed to yet. Will take a look at this and let you know

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 06:45 AM   #5
ErbyX3
Rep

Prior to the X3 I had a 320 d Touring which had DAB. Yes it did fall out now and again but on the whole it was pretty good. Didn't work very well, if at all, in West Wales (Pwllheli, Nefyn etc) or on Anglesey (Rhosneigr) but most of my time in the car is spent in North East Wales and the North West so not an issue.

After having to listen to Lady Gaga, Bruno Mars et al in the house and in the car when the kids are with me I don't think that I could handle Radio 1, Heart etc and need the sanity of 5 Live and 6 Music even if it does drop out every so often. Oh dear, I have become a grumpy old man.

Don't think that DAB switched automatically to FM if dropped the DAB signal on the 3 series. Maybe the X3 is different.

For me DAB is essential, in fact it was the only option fitted to the 3 series.

Last edited by ErbyX3; 04-04-2011 at 07:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 06:51 AM   #6
ErbyX3
Rep

Was only when checked the forms this morning that I realised I'd ordered so early in November so does appear a long wait. I'd thought it was the end of Nov so May seemed about right. Probably good that only realised today or could have got more wound up by the delivery time.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 07:04 AM   #7
smarm
Worsier then Tupac dying.
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErbyX3 View Post

For me DAB is essential, in fact it was the only option fitted to the 3 series.
It's a shame DAB isn't even an option in Australia. They're talking about maybe releasing it for the 5/7 series.

Quote:
If you write 'Wash Me' on my car, I'll carve 'Resuscitate Me' into your chest
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 07:13 AM   #8
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarm View Post
It's a shame DAB isn't even an option in Australia. They're talking about maybe releasing it for the 5/7 series.
Depending on your mobile network coverage you can get DAB for free by getting an app like FStream on your iPhone and then streaming it via bluetooth to your car. I appreciate you're in Australia where you're only likely to have good enough coverage in cities

Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 07:20 AM   #9
Pugger
Second Lieutenant
Wales
Rep
Drives: 4 GC 2.8i MSport

I looked at getting DAB, realised I had run out of cash and read that analogue isn't getting switched off until 2015. So thats 3 X3's in Wales now! Still trying to find out the cost of picking the Car up at BMW Welt. Have a feeling it ain't going to be cheap!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 07:31 AM   #10
tank531
Deckhand
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 2.0D SE xDrive (Sep 11)

The trouble with DAB is its like HD TV. I bought an early Pioneer, 5.5 yrs ago and its only 720 not 1080 res. (though the quality is still better than most 'modern' HD sets) Likewise DAB has DAB 1.0 and DAB 2.0. In the UK only DAB 1.0 is broadcast, where as in Germany DAB 2.0 is broadcast in areas and growing (dont know about Aus) I assume, therefore, that the BMW DAB hardware can operate on both stds. I am not sure UK is planning to switch to DAB 2.0 anytime soon. I believe DAB 2.0 should hold the signal better but most of the time its a bandwidth thing that the brodcasters throttle back speeds to the bare minimum, this refelcts in 'poor signal' dropout in places.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 07:34 AM   #11
Andrewob
Private
Rep
Drives: X3

Don't knock the auto box, I'm mid 30's and a big fan having had a few autos over the years and cant wait to get back into one, in a bigger car I think autos are most suitable, especially with all the stop start driving these days. Still hoping that my end of June delivery is still holding.

I also fancy getting a caravan, must be a 30 somethinglol:
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 07:43 AM   #12
Pugger
Second Lieutenant
Wales
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewob View Post
Don't knock the auto box, I'm mid 30's and a big fan having had a few autos over the years and cant wait to get back into one, in a bigger car I think autos are most suitable, especially with all the stop start driving these days. Still hoping that my end of June delivery is still holding.

I also fancy getting a caravan, must be a 30 somethinglol:
I was torn over the autobox. I test drove the auto only and having only driven manual for 25 years I kept on trying to change down coming to junctions and lights, found the car grinding to a halt in a hail of screeching tyre and smoke. The brakes are good mind! When I did get use to it I was impressed with the auto, but budget dictate's manual for me.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 09:35 AM   #13
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

Welcome

Ordered mine after you and car arrived at the dealers off site compound today in leicester, collecting friday, monday or tuesday as soon as its ready (hoping for friday) - its been in the country since 21st march and unsure what continued delays in making it ready can be?

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 09:40 AM   #14
Pugger
Second Lieutenant
Wales
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMMER UK 76 View Post
Welcome

Ordered mine after you and car arrived at the dealers off site compound today in leicester, collecting friday, monday or tuesday as soon as its ready (hoping for friday) - its been in the country since 21st march and unsure what continued delays in making it ready can be?
The delay is probably due to them knocking all the dents and T cutting out all the scratches, due to it's trip across the atlantic
Seriously, any chance of you get some pictures up Bimmer, as you know I have chosen the same colours as you and it would be nice to see what it looks like!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 10:04 AM   #15
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

Camera will be primed and ready

As I've said before pugger - we got good taste!

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 04:07 PM   #16
AJWilson
First Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2.0D SE

Enjoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErbyX3 View Post
X3 2.0d SE ordered on November 5th. Received status 5055 (confirmed by Prod. Control) on the 30th March. Due for delivery middle of May.

Spec

Space Grey
Auto box
Sports Steering Wheel
DAB
Bluetooth (6NH)
Towbar - fully electric

Apart from above standard everything inc. trims, wheels etc

(Just how did an automatic and caravanning happen by my mid 30's??)

Most of the people on here seem to have gone for every option available, adding about £10k to the price, but with company car tax here in the UK as well as the lease rates I just couldn't justify (afford) the extra. The option for me was a specced RAV 4, Tiguan, Santa Fe etc or a "basic" X3, without even test driving the X3 I'm sure I've gone down the right route.

Looking forward to reviewing a virtually option free car and hopefully saying that it's not essential to spend >£40k to get a decent X3.

Have been an avid follower of the forum for a few months, reading about it on here made me actually believe the car existed and that I hadn't just dreamed it up.

btw saw my first one yesterday, titanium silver I think, near Wrexham.
Alpine White, Black Leather, HUD, Auto, Pro media, Visibility, Climate Comfort,Storage, Cold weather Packs, Pro Loudspeaker system, Sun Protection Glass, Electric Adjust Front Seats, Reversing Camera with Top View, 19" 309's,Variable Damper Control,Variable sport steering, Sports Seats, Sports Steering Wheel. Re-ordered 27/7/11, Arrived 28/9/11
Appreciate 0