BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-01-2011, 11:13 PM   #1
sard
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

BMW Apps.

The BMW Apps does not work with the BMW Y-Cable, but it works with the Apple 'white' cable. Are there different types of BMW Y-Cables? Is the one I have maybe too old? Does it work at all? Thanks.

Also my flash stick doesn't work in the USB port in the glove box, but works in the under armrest USB port. Is this the way it is?

E92 M3 - DCT - 20" BBS LM-R - KW Clubsport - Akrapovic Exhaust - Powerchip Tune - Arkym Aero Kit - HID Halo
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 02:46 AM   #2
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by sard View Post
The BMW Apps does not work with the BMW Y-Cable, but it works with the Apple 'white' cable. Are there different types of BMW Y-Cables? Is the one I have maybe too old? Does it work at all? Thanks
I don't think the BMW Y cable will work. You shouldn't be using it all if you have BMW apps. It's only for cars that can't use a normal USB Cable because they can't decode the music (i think this is cars without the tech package in the US)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sard View Post
Also my flash stick doesn't work in the USB port in the glove box, but works in the under armrest USB port. Is this the way it is?
Yes. The glove box USB socket is only for uploading to iDrive, e.g. music collection, software updates

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 11:27 AM   #3
sard
Major
Rep

Thanks sfax! What's weird is I don't think I can play music through the iPhone 3Gs if I don't use that Y cable. It will stop playing music if I pull just the mini jack pigtail out. I'll go retest it later today.

E92 M3 - DCT - 20" BBS LM-R - KW Clubsport - Akrapovic Exhaust - Powerchip Tune - Arkym Aero Kit - HID Halo
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 12:03 PM   #4
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

I'd be surprised if it doesn't work with a 3GS so worth a re-test definitely

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 05:43 PM   #5
sard
Major
Rep

Ok, it does work with just the Apple 'White' cord =D Thanks!

Appreciate 0