BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-23-2011, 10:45 AM   #1
wb47
Rep
Drives: N/A

What is Variable Steering?

Hey Guys, I am soon to purchase a X3 but I have a few questions on some options.

I know i must get the Dynamic Suspension but is the variable sports steering any good? I would think it would be a little confusing, having the steering feel change.

What is Sports Suspension and how does it differ with dynamic?

And what is Performance control?

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 10:48 AM   #2
Harplayr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 28i, F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb47 View Post
Hey Guys, I am soon to purchase a X3 but I have a few questions on some options.

I know i must get the Dynamic Suspension but is the variable sports steering any good? I would think it would be a little confusing, having the steering feel change.

And what is Performance control?

Thank you.
I had it on my 2010 X3.
The change is very subtle and you forget its there.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 11:50 AM   #3
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
I believe sport suspension is a fixed suspension and the dynamic dampers are dampers that stiffen or soften based on detected road imperfections.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 04:48 PM   #4
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Allows you to maneuver either left or right at variable rates, simply by turning the steering wheel one way or the other to varying degrees.

Okay, but really... it increases the amount of wheel steer per degree of steering wheel movement at low speeds (for ease in parking, etc.) and decreases the degree of wheel steer at higher speeds to help avoid over-steer.

We have it in our X5 and it takes some getting used to.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 12:34 AM   #5
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

You should also bear in mind that if you spec VSS or VDC (Variable Damping Control) you will also get Dynamic Drive Control which gives you a switch to change from Normal to Sport to Sport+.

For performance control, see description on the BMW website or in the brochure (changes power to individual wheels)

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 04:53 AM   #6
wb47
Rep

Can I get the Dynamic Drive Control without getting the Variable Sports Steering?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 05:30 AM   #7
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Can I get the Dynamic Drive Control without getting the Variable Sports Steering?
No you can't as far as I know. In theory you could use DDC only for changing the throttle response if you had neither VSS nor VDC but the only way to get DDC on a UK spec X3 (and Australia is similar) is by adding either VDC or VSS. I would recommend you get at least servotronic steering and then going one step further and getting VSS (which includes servo) is a relatively cheap way to get DDC too

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 05:57 AM   #8
AussieMarkF
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 G01 X3 30d M Sport and 20

Simple answer, if you like a sporty drive, get the Variable Sport Steering. You will also need to buy it with Performance Control. The items will cost an extra $1000 all up, but well worth it as you get the Sport mode selector switch, to go between normal, sport an sport plus. If you value tight handling, get the sport suspension too.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 06:26 AM   #9
wb47
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
No you can't as far as I know. In theory you could use DDC only for changing the throttle response if you had neither VSS nor VDC but the only way to get DDC on a UK spec X3 (and Australia is similar) is by adding either VDC or VSS. I would recommend you get at least servotronic steering and then going one step further and getting VSS (which includes servo) is a relatively cheap way to get DDC too
I plan on getting Dynamic Damping, so will i be able to buy DDC with this option only without VSS?
Also what is Servotronic steering???
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 06:57 AM   #10
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I plan on getting Dynamic Damping, so will i be able to buy DDC with this option only without VSS?
Also what is Servotronic steering???
Thanks
Dynamic Damping = VDC and aleady includes DDC. No need for VSS which is purely about tightening up the steering in Sport mode.

I've never quite got to the bottom of steering comparisons but I have sports suspension, 19s, performance control and servotronic steering (no VSS) and like the feel of the steering and don't find it at all floaty as some people have observed. I wouldn't mind trying a car with VSS in Sport mode to see the difference.

Servotronic steering: http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...rvotronic.html

I would recommend you add this

Appreciate 0