BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-19-2011, 11:03 PM   #1
chazqw
Rep
Drives: X3 XDrive35i

No chrome exhaust tip on XDrive 35i?

Hi all, this is my first post in this forum.

I picked up my X3 35i 2 days ago and later on I found that there is no chrome exhaust tips installed on the tailpipe. I referred to the X3 brochure that I downloaded from bmw.ca and it states that this is a standard feature on 35i (not on 28i).

Gave dealer a call and was told this is part of the M-package (optional), but he wasn't 100% sure and said he'll find out and promise will provide it to me if it's standard.

My question is:
Anyone in Canada ordered 2011 35i (no M package) have chrome tip on tailpipe?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 11:50 PM   #2
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazqw View Post
Hi all, this is my first post in this forum.

I picked up my X3 35i 2 days ago and later on I found that there is no chrome exhaust tips installed on the tailpipe. I referred to the X3 brochure that I downloaded from bmw.ca and it states that this is a standard feature on 35i (not on 28i).

Gave dealer a call and was told this is part of the M-package (optional), but he wasn't 100% sure and said he'll find out and promise will provide it to me if it's standard.

My question is:
Anyone in Canada ordered 2011 35i (no M package) have chrome tip on tailpipe?

Thanks.
I have an MSport and have the chrome tips; BUT is is not a MSport item at all. It is a regular 35i standard feature, I have seen several 35i's at the dealers and they all have the chrome tips, plus a friend has the 35i non-MSport, and it has the chrome tips.

Unless the specs have changed recently, your 35i, non-MSport should have chrome tips.
      08-19-2011, 11:54 PM   #3
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

The BMW CA configurator images clearly show the standard, non-M Sport, Canadian 35i with the polished stainless exhaust tips.

They are included with all US spec. 35i models.

Sounds like the person you spoke with at your dealership does not know his/her X3s very well. OR they simply rebadged a 28i. I'd check to see that the car has a turbocharger!

p.s. Welcome to the X3 Forum, and enjoy your new ride.
Attached Images

Last edited by Lotus7; 08-20-2011 at 12:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2011, 12:03 AM   #4
chazqw
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuco44 View Post
I have an MSport and have the chrome tips; BUT is is not a MSport item at all. It is a regular 35i standard feature, I have seen several 35i's at the dealers and they all have the chrome tips, plus a friend has the 35i non-MSport, and it has the chrome tips.

Unless the specs have changed recently, your 35i, non-MSport should have chrome tips.
Thanks I thought the same...when did your friend get his 35i non-MSport with the chrome tip if not mind me asking? Given that 2011 X3 is out not even a full year I don't see they are likely to change the spec that fast on such a small (but very eye catching) item.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2011, 12:08 AM   #5
chazqw
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
The BMW CA configurator images clearly show the standard, non-M Sport, Canadian 35i with the polished stainless exhaust tips.

They are included with all US spec. 35i models.

Sounds like the person you spoke with at your dealership does not know his/her X3s very well. OR they simply rebadged a 28i. I'd check to see that the car has a turbocharger!

p.s. Welcome to the X3 Forum, and enjoy your new ride.
Thanks for the reminding...If they dare to rebadge a 28i to 35i I'll go turn the dealership up side down!! :-)
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2011, 12:59 AM   #6
tatsu666
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3

i have no M sport pkg, but there's chrome tip!
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2011, 09:29 AM   #7
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

likely an oversight. i'd go tell the dealer politely.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2011, 08:51 PM   #8
chazqw
Rep

Follow up on this matter.

I went to the dealer today for some insurance paper work and spoke to the a customer service girl and show her the brochure, then she walked back and forth talking to several people and came back to me saying that I need to pay for the chrome tip myself!! WTF?! There are several 35i (non-MSport) parked outside all with chrome tips on!!

While I was waiting, my sales agent said he went out and see the tips are on several 35i but saying that they have the 'executive option', so basically he still thinks that the tip is part of an option. I didn't even bother to correct him, this guy needs to get his shit straight before talking.

After all I got what I wanted, sales manager called and said 'his deepest apology' for short shipping the item and told me he made a mistake in saying that I need to pay for this item because to spec it's a standard feature, he also promised me that I will be provided with the parts so now I'm a happy man :-)

Nothing big, just got really frustrated, dealer needs to get the basic straight.
I basically wasted a whole beautiful day out there with shit like this.

Too bad I submitted the survey already, wish I can correct it and re-submit.
Service quality doesn't match the BMW brand at all.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2011, 09:00 PM   #9
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep

What a sad commentary on the knowledge of your dealer's sales staff about the products they're selling.

If these people have any marketing sense (which they probably don't) they should try to make it up to you by not only installing the exhaust tips, but should throw in some additional stuff like floor mats or a set of mud guards.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2011, 09:42 PM   #10
chazqw
Rep

Quote:
What a sad commentary on the knowledge of your dealer's sales staff about the products they're selling.

If these people have any marketing sense (which they probably don't) they should try to make it up to you by not only installing the exhaust tips, but should throw in some additional stuff like floor mats or a set of mud guards.
Yes...it was actually my first luxury brand vehicle (was driving a Toyota before) and expect the service to be top-notched. I guess I am just few out there with frustrated experience like this. Today is actually my first day I drove the vehicle out, great car but crappy service from Day 1.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2011, 09:51 PM   #11
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

It just baffles me how little they tend to know about their product. Can't see that as a winning approach.

Despite the crappy path, glad it's resolved.
      08-20-2011, 10:56 PM   #12
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep

You are not the first customer to be frustrated by a XXX* sales person. It's not rocket science or brain surgery to study the sales literature of products one is representing. Unfortunately, it's not just car dealerships that employ incompetent sales staff. There seems to be little correlation of the cost of the product and the ability of the sales staff, the one exception possibly being Apple stores.

It’s a sign of the times and one can complain to the parent company’s “higher ups” (which I’ve done many times and which occasionally actually accomplishes something), but more often than not, makes one feel like a member of the Don Quixote Society.**

Sometimes it’s best to bite the bullet and “deal with it”.

*BMW, Mercedes Benz, Lexus, Infinity, Acura, Toyota, Honda, Subaru, etc. (Insert your brand here).

**Don Quixote: “Truly I was born to be an example of misfortune, and a target at which the arrows of adversary are aimed" (Book 2, Part 3).”
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2011, 11:54 PM   #13
02420X3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Gee, thanks guys, for the forum-induced paranoia, LOL! I just grabbed a flashlight and walked outside to doublecheck my exhaust for chrome tips. They're there.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2011, 11:55 PM   #14
Zoo54924
Getting there...
Rep
Drives: X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02420X3 View Post
Gee, thanks guys, for the forum-induced paranoia, LOL! I just grabbed a flashlight and walked outside to doublecheck my exhaust for chrome tips. They're there.
LOL
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2011, 12:00 AM   #15
powertech83
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 20d

Quote:
You are not the first customer to be frustrated by a XXX* sales person. It's not rocket science or brain surgery to study the sales literature of products one is representing. Unfortunately, it's not just car dealerships that employ incompetent sales staff. There seems to be little correlation of the cost of the product and the ability of the sales staff, the one exception possibly being Apple stores.

It’s a sign of the times and one can complain to the parent company’s “higher ups” (which I’ve done many times and which occasionally actually accomplishes something), but more often than not, makes one feel like a member of the Don Quixote Society.**

Sometimes it’s best to bite the bullet and “deal with it”.

*BMW, Mercedes Benz, Lexus, Infinity, Acura, Toyota, Honda, Subaru, etc. (Insert your brand here).

**Don Quixote: “Truly I was born to be an example of misfortune, and a target at which the arrows of adversary are aimed" (Book 2, Part 3).”
I guess it is because most salesperson is not really passionate about the products they sell. It's only a job for them, and to memorize all the details of the products is a chore. Probably chat around, busy with his/her blackberries, or fell asleep during a briefing for a new product the company just launched.

That said, not all of them are like that, it is a real pleasure if we shop around for cars and met a salesperson who is into cars him/herself.
Perhaps they should start doing some test like in school, about product knowledge, and whoever failed 3 times will be fired
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2011, 01:47 AM   #16
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazqw View Post
After all I got what I wanted, sales manager called and said 'his deepest apology' for short shipping the item and told me he made a mistake in saying that I need to pay for this item because to spec it's a standard feature, he also promised me that I will be provided with the parts so now I'm a happy man :-)
Glad that everything is resolved. However, I'm surprised that the dealership had to order the exhaust tips since they're standard on the 35i so you would think that it comes installed from the factory.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2011, 03:08 AM   #17
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyu View Post
Glad that everything is resolved. However, I'm surprised that the dealership had to order the exhaust tips since they're standard on the 35i so you would think that it comes installed from the factory.
It appears that the factory "screwed up" and forgot to put them on.
The robot at the end of the 35i production line who presses them in place must have been on a coffee break.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2011, 10:26 PM   #18
skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i, M2C, Ferrari 328

Quote:
There seems to be little correlation of the cost of the product and the ability of the sales staff, the one exception possibly being Apple stores.
That is an interesting observation that I can confirm. It seems a key difference is that the Apple Store staff are there because they love the products -- they're more like enthusiasts than sales staff (and on top of that, no sales pressure on customers!).

Out of all the car salesman I have encountered over the years, maybe only 2-3 out of dozens of them were true car enthusiasts who loved the products they were selling and knew all the details. Most BMW CAs I have worked with are fairly professional, but so far none of them have crossed the line into enthusiasts. Car-enthusiast buyers are almost always far better educated about the products.
Appreciate 0