BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-12-2011, 05:01 PM   #1
Kalopop
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: x3

Thumbs down 2 major reasons that are keeping me from enjoying my new x3

The 2011 x3 is a great car, with a couple problems. Its like a the best burger u've ever had..exept with a cold piece of cheese and stale paddies.

First, the electronic steering wheel. This just completely spoils the driving experience, my 335i hydraulic steering wheel was 1000x better..I am NOT feeling the joy of driving... I rather play with my Wii controller, because that's what it feels like. It takes out the experience from driving, and really gets on my nerves everytime I drive the car out.

Second, the new n55 engine. It sounds like a grandma coughing. My old n54 engine had a strong, solid growl. But even on cold start, the n55 rattles, and sounds like a lawn mower. There is also a steady rumbling sound that definitely doesnt sound like a healthy engine. I dont know how much better, the n55 is compared to the n54 if it is, but the sound is just dissapointing.

All of you new x3 owners out there..do you notice the same problems or have any opinions on this?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2011, 05:08 PM   #2
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

Cant comment on the engine but I find the steering fine verus my previous E60.

I purchased the F25 as a family wagon, what were you looking for?

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2011, 05:10 PM   #3
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Did you test drive the car before buying it? If you have the 35i and got the sport activity package, switching into "sport" mode make a nice difference in the steering and suspension and is definintly more "tight" and controlled. I have the 35i and the engine sounds great. Always has a nice "growl'" to it and doesn't sputter like a lawn mower. I have no complaints thus far!
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2011, 05:17 PM   #4
Le Chef
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i

You have a couple of options on steering. Tires maybe an issue. Have you checked your tire pressures? Do you remember what tires were on the car you road tested? You could ask your dealer to try another X3 with different tires. Have you had your dealer check toe-in? If it's not correct that can impact steering feel.

On engine note, what did your test X3 sound like? Was it different? I'm assuming it was otherwise you wouldn't have bought the car if sound is that important to you, correct?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2011, 05:21 PM   #5
Kalopop
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: x3

No I didnt have the time to test drive the x3, I never thought the steering and feel would be so different from my 335. Maybe I got a bannana, thats why my engine note doesnt sound as nice? If that is the case and I complain do you guys think they can replace my x3?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2011, 05:30 PM   #6
northX3
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalopop View Post
No I didnt have the time to test drive the x3, I never thought the steering and feel would be so different from my 335. Maybe I got a bannana, thats why my engine note doesnt sound as nice? If that is the case and I complain do you guys think they can replace my x3?
No time to test drive the X3 ? you commited on buying a $60K car without trying it first ? you know who's to blame... sorry for being harsh, but you know, that's not the correct way to buy a car ! especially if you're going to be picky about the car's handling afterwards (unlike 90% of MB or Audi owners)...

You can try to get a refund from BMW Canada because you don't like how the engine sounds. Just expect it to fail ! Try to find something better next time...

Handling and engine sound are subjective things, and you could've spared you all this questionning if you test drove the F25 X3 first
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2011, 05:34 PM   #7
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
You seriously bought a car without test driving it assuming it would feel like your 335? If I'm spending $50k +, I'd be darn sure to make time for a test drive.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2011, 05:35 PM   #8
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by northX3 View Post
No time to test drive the X3 ? you commited on buying a $60K car without trying it first ? you know who's to blame... sorry for being harsh, but you know, that's not the correct way to buy a car ! especially if you're going to be picky about the car's handling afterwards (unlike 90% of MB or Audi owners)...

You can try to get a refund from BMW Canada because you don't like how the engine sounds. Just expect it to fail ! Try to find something better next time...

Handling and engine sound are subjective things, and you could've spared you all this questionning if you test drove the F25 X3 first
North X3, you took the words right out of my mouth! I was typing just about the same thing you were.....I'm speechless.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2011, 05:48 PM   #9
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
I agree with the posts regarding buying without testing, so no need to add my rhetoric.

Coming from an E90 with Sport pak, I did not have any expectation that the X3 would feel and handle like my E90 - in fact, I was resigned to give up that 'feel' once I stepped out of the E90 and into the X3. But I have been very pleased with the feel and handling of the X3 and think it is literally as close as you can get to a taller 3 Series.

As others have suggested, play with the Sport and Sport + options if you have them becuse you can feel the difference. But ultimately you need to realize that you are trying to compare two totally different type vehicles, and you'll just keep being disappointed if you don't realize that.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2011, 05:48 PM   #10
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

I test drove both the 28i and the 35i more than once.

I am totally pleased with my new 35i as to steering and engine. In fact, I find the growl of the N55 engine to be great sounding, and I have had others comment on that already. I think my car is better than either of the demo cars I drove.

If one buys something without driving it, and then complains they don't like it, I think you only have yourself to blame. Guess one must have a lot of money to buy an X3 without a test...??
      06-12-2011, 05:56 PM   #11
509trooper
Staff Sergeant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 35i

Buying a car without test driving is like buying a home without a home inspection. This is probably going to be a really expensive lesson.
      06-12-2011, 07:25 PM   #12
LFC
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 28i

Quote:
The 2011 x3 is a great car, with a couple problems. Its like a the best burger u've ever had..exept with a cold piece of cheese and stale paddies.

First, the electronic steering wheel. This just completely spoils the driving experience, my 335i hydraulic steering wheel was 1000x better..I am NOT feeling the joy of driving... I rather play with my Wii controller, because that's what it feels like. It takes out the experience from driving, and really gets on my nerves everytime I drive the car out.

Second, the new n55 engine. It sounds like a grandma coughing. My old n54 engine had a strong, solid growl. But even on cold start, the n55 rattles, and sounds like a lawn mower. There is also a steady rumbling sound that definitely doesnt sound like a healthy engine. I dont know how much better, the n55 is compared to the n54 if it is, but the sound is just dissapointing.

All of you new x3 owners out there..do you notice the same problems or have any opinions on this?

My 28i engine sounds horrible to me at idle. It sounds like a diesel engine, and i'm still wondering if maybe i have a defective one. I had some worries because my production video never showed my car being driven off the factory floor (camera was unavailable). I actually don't mind the steering (i have the variable steering) and my previous car was an 2002 M3 which had great a steering feel. I love how the car handles despite the not so great look (compared to the X5 and the audi Q5). I've also been enjoying the premium sound and can definitely notice the difference in my iphone songs (encoded between 128k and 256k) and the HD radio vs normal FM. Lastly, top view with parking assist is a great feature that i've already used more than 15 times in 3 days making sure that I know where my vehicle is between the lines or how close to the curb I am so I don't curb my rims.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2011, 07:31 PM   #13
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
If that is the case and I complain do you guys think they can replace my x3?
Well, imagine yourself in the dealer's shoes would you really replace someone's car just because they asked nicely or in your cause complained? Hoping the dealer will replace your car because you have buyer's remorse is about as naive as dropping $60k on a car without test driving it.

With that said I do agree that the electric steering is crap, you can make the steering tighter by putting the car into "sport" or "sport+ mode" but even then it still feels very artificial. To make matters worse the car reverts back to "normal mode" every time you turn off the car. The N55 engine does sound quite loud and not in a good way but it's something that I could live with. If you really can't live with the sound perhaps you should look into putting in a better exhaust system.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2011, 11:40 PM   #14
nonagon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayenne GTS

Kalopop, do you have the standard steering or the variable sport steering?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 06:32 AM   #15
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
I agree with the posts regarding buying without testing, so no need to add my rhetoric.

Coming from an E90 with Sport pak, I did not have any expectation that the X3 would feel and handle like my E90 - in fact, I was resigned to give up that 'feel' once I stepped out of the E90 and into the X3. But I have been very pleased with the feel and handling of the X3 and think it is literally as close as you can get to a taller 3 Series.

As others have suggested, play with the Sport and Sport + options if you have them becuse you can feel the difference. But ultimately you need to realize that you are trying to compare two totally different type vehicles, and you'll just keep being disappointed if you don't realize that.
+1

+more if we're talking 335i to X3 28i
      06-13-2011, 06:56 AM   #16
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

when i buy mine and God forbid I get buyers remorse, i will definitely will not be posting that on this forum, you will get no love
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 01:37 PM   #17
ManMachine
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E60 528

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want the thrill View Post
Did you test drive the car before buying it? If you have the 35i and got the sport activity package, switching into "sport" mode make a nice difference in the steering and suspension and is definintly more "tight" and controlled. I have the 35i and the engine sounds great. Always has a nice "growl'" to it and doesn't sputter like a lawn mower. I have no complaints thus far!
Not in suspension, but in throttle response.
      06-13-2011, 02:13 PM   #18
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

I wish sport mode had more than just three options to select. At the moment there's chassis, powertrain, and both. Chassis controls steering tightness, powertrain controls shift points and throttle response. It would be cool if they could add throttle response as it's own option because w/ powertrain selected the car holds gears for way too long even when lightly pressing the pedal. I've definitely turned some heads before, it's like "hey look at me my penis is this big and I like reving my car to 3-4k rpm when going 10-20 mph."
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 02:23 PM   #19
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManMachine View Post
Not in suspension, but in throttle response.
I'm not even going to start in on this debate again. Yes, more changes than just the throttle. Have you tried it?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 04:17 PM   #20
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Individual Edition

I've yet to read any reviews where BMW's new EPAS is praised.

BMW once claimed to build the 'ultimate driving machine'. Sadly that's now just a distant memory and it's all about 'joy', whatever that means!

For any keen driver, steering feel is very important, it seems that the EPAS system feels too artificial.

I reckon the motorsport cars, sorry 'marketing' cars will be next with EPAS
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 05:30 PM   #21
ManMachine
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E60 528

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want the thrill View Post
I'm not even going to start in on this debate again. Yes, more changes than just the throttle. Have you tried it?
Assuming that you are not referring to faster transmission shift points with sport auto of X335i, are you claiming that your sport activity package allows you to change the suspension responses, aka giving you electronic dampers?
      06-13-2011, 05:39 PM   #22
northX3
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManMachine View Post
Assuming that you are not referring to faster transmission shift points with sport auto of X335i, are you claiming that your sport activity package allows you to change the suspension responses, aka giving you electronic dampers?
Yes

In Sport Mode, the suspension gets tighter, firmier. That is, if you don't uncheck this option in the Settings menu of the iDrive.
Appreciate 0