BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-24-2017, 04:17 PM   #1
cdumitru78
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Sierra 1500, M240xi, G80 M3

Buying advice - White 2013 X3, 4 cylinder or...

This is for sale by original older owner, 21K miles, loaded with:

- M sport package
- premium package
- tech package
- cold weather package
- BMW apps

I can get this for about 26k and it looks to be in fantastic shape based on the extended pics and videos that I have seen so far. I will know more once I get to see it though. Car is located about 4 hours away in small town, so hard to have a PPI done, will have to rely on my car experience. I have access to great independent mechanics once I bring it back, so not worried about long terms care.

Any thoughts on this, I test drove both the 6 and the 4 cylinder version, love the M package on both, the 4 cylinder seems to be plenty fast for our need for an SUV for kid duty and occasional longer trips. My wife will be the main driver but I will drive it quite a bit too.

I also found a local 2014 base model, with only heated seats, but only 5k miles, looked nearly brand new, about 28k asking price.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 04:07 PM   #2
najnad
General of the Space Forces
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 X3 35i M-sport

Garage List
Between those two choices, I would go for the 2013 with M-sport and other packages. Do a carfax check on it, and ask for the maintenance records. See if the oil filter housing gasket has been replaced, water pump, brakes, etc.

$26k might be a little high...depends on maintenance done, any other options you didnt mention, rims, condition of the seats/paint/etc. Maybe $24k, a little more if everything looks great.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 11:03 PM   #3
zcspec
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 911/Boxster/Model Y

BMW has so many monikers with their "packages" so I'll ask this...does the 13' have the HID lighting? If so, there isn't much more you could get. Last year, I purchased my wife a 14' with virtually the same package as the 13' your considering. It's a fantastic car and our longer trips from Seattle to BC or PDX are very enjoyable. The ride is smooth, freeway MPGs average around 26 and with the JB1, it has plenty of "get up and go." I would not even consider the base model.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 01:05 AM   #4
cdumitru78
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thank you for the feedback guys. Turns out the seller was quite dishonest. She figured out she had a transferable 3 year warranty and we agreed on a slightly hired price than the 26k initially agreed upon. Drove all the way to Medford to meet her, that's about 4/5 hours away. Once I got there and she started talking to BMW dealership about the warranty transfer, she realized she could cancel it and get a $1700 check, at that point in time she promptly informed me price went up by $1700 or I would get no warranty. Out of principle, I walked out and drove 4.5 hours back home. Car had way more scratches and dings than she described too, it wasn't "as new" as she kept telling me...

Anyhow, thank you all for the feedback, search continues, we will see what comes up.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 07:38 AM   #5
dcaron9999
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M package

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdumitru78 View Post
Thank you for the feedback guys. Turns out the seller was quite dishonest. She figured out she had a transferable 3 year warranty and we agreed on a slightly hired price than the 26k initially agreed upon. Drove all the way to Medford to meet her, that's about 4/5 hours away. Once I got there and she started talking to BMW dealership about the warranty transfer, she realized she could cancel it and get a $1700 check, at that point in time she promptly informed me price went up by $1700 or I would get no warranty. Out of principle, I walked out and drove 4.5 hours back home. Car had way more scratches and dings than she described too, it wasn't "as new" as she kept telling me...

Anyhow, thank you all for the feedback, search continues, we will see what comes up.
Man, share the pain with you. That is 9 hours of driving you are not getting back, and money for fuel and meals... That is why Im hesitant, some would call me anal, as i ask a ton of questions and emails, request recent pictures, etc , when im considering a car that is further than an hours drive from home.

Good luck wit your searching. Im sure it will feal even better when you land the right one...
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 10:41 AM   #6
najnad
General of the Space Forces
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 X3 35i M-sport

Garage List
If you can swing the airfare / roadtrip time...or have it shipped, check out this one for sale:

http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1364404
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 06:48 PM   #7
cdumitru78
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by najnad View Post
If you can swing the airfare / roadtrip time...or have it shipped, check out this one for sale:

http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1364404
Thank you, I like that one, such nice car, but for this purchase it will have to be stock and with some warranty left. This will be the baby carrier/longer trips SUV, so we are keeping it stock and with some warranty. We also have an E55 and a 370Z, so there are some fun toys around here too.

Thank you for all the help, much appreciated, hoping to find one in the near future.
Appreciate 0