BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-27-2011, 05:08 PM   #1
Sheraton
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d Touring

Run flat tyres

Finalising my options list. What are opinions on run flat tyres? As the X3 doesn't come with a spare is this the best option?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 05:28 PM   #2
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheraton View Post
Finalising my options list. What are opinions on run flat tyres? As the X3 doesn't come with a spare is this the best option?
All BMW tires are run flat tires BECAUSE none of their cars come with spares. They don't include the spare because they want to shed as much weight as possible. While more expensive and a bit harder on the alignment of your spine, the run flats offer the most flexibility for even the most incapable driver who may encounter a nail or a piece of glass.

You have no choice but to get the run flat tires. Knowing that, just pick your wheels as you like.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 12:29 AM   #3
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

In the UK this isn't true. The standard 17" tyres are not run-flats. Run flats are an option that come with some alloys > 17". I had no choice because I wanted 19" alloys. They have had negative reports wrt to the ride and being expensive to replace, but weighing up the look of the 19"s, it was no brainer for me, and I'm glad I went for them at the moment

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 12:50 AM   #4
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
In the UK this isn't true. The standard 17" tyres are not run-flats. Run flats are an option that come with some alloys > 17". I had no choice because I wanted 19" alloys. They have had negative reports wrt to the ride and being expensive to replace, but weighing up the look of the 19"s, it was no brainer for me, and I'm glad I went for them at the moment
Do the 17 with non runflats have a spare tire?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 12:52 AM   #5
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Anyone know if there's room to fit a spare under the mat in the trunk? I'm thinking of getting bigger rims and different tires for the car. Also when and if I get different wheels, if I get a flat with non-runflat tires can I use one of the runflats as a temporary spare?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 01:31 AM   #6
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyu View Post
Anyone know if there's room to fit a spare under the mat in the trunk?
Nope, not enough room below the cargo floor panel for even a thin, space-saver spare.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 02:08 AM   #7
gregoryw1
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 X3 30i

Garage List
2015 X3 35i  [0.00]
wow - pretty amazing BMW would sell a car with no spare and without run flats - what do they expect you to do - just hope and pray you don't encounter a nail over many years of driving. I mean are you supposed to just sit on the side of the highway??? you would have to hire a tow truck with every flat tire??? odd
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 02:42 AM   #8
cooldude00
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x3 2.0d

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryw1 View Post
wow - pretty amazing BMW would sell a car with no spare and without run flats - what do they expect you to do - just hope and pray you don't encounter a nail over many years of driving. I mean are you supposed to just sit on the side of the highway??? you would have to hire a tow truck with every flat tire??? odd
there's a mobility kit which i think is a basically a foam that's pumped into the tyre in event of a puncture, much like a tyre weld kit. believe this is standard on the M cars too as they have no spares either.. learnt this when i swapped out the RFTs on the z4...

that.. and having a good recovery service
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 04:21 AM   #9
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude00 View Post
there's a mobility kit which i think is a basically a foam that's pumped into the tyre in event of a puncture, much like a tyre weld kit. believe this is standard on the M cars too as they have no spares either.. learnt this when i swapped out the RFTs on the z4...

I can see why not having a spare would be a much bigger issue in a country the size of the USA

The only wheels that you can get for the X3 with non-run flats are the 17" V spokes. All other alloy options add run flats.

The 17" Vs are undoubtedly the wheels and tyres that they use to get the combined 50 mpg

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 05:57 AM   #10
flash3
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3 28i

I thought 'run flats' are standard on the 28i and 35i? From what I read in the last 2 posts, I guess it's another option? :/
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 07:15 AM   #11
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash3 View Post
I thought 'run flats' are standard on the 28i and 35i? From what I read in the last 2 posts, I guess it's another option? :/
They are but this is for 20d. No 28i or 35i in the UK

Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 07:32 AM   #12
cooldude00
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The only wheels that you can get for the X3 with non-run flats are the 17" V spokes. All other alloy options add run flats.

The 17" Vs are undoubtedly the wheels and tyres that they use to get the combined 50 mpg
i added the run flats as an option to the 17"s... so undoubtedly i won't get the 50mpg not that i like the run flats but they have been a lifesaver on more than 1 occasion... wouldn't see them on a sports car but on a SAV, sure...

then again.. i'm still deciding whether to go for the dynamic package or not... love the X1 18" 322s but doubt BMW will allow me to add that other than an aftermarket option.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 09:37 AM   #13
flash3
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3 28i

Quote:
They are but this is for 20d. No 28i or 35i in the UK
- Great. I am leaning towards the 28i w/standard tire options and was like OH SNAP!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 11:25 AM   #14
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

4 years with run flats on my E60 and not a single problem with tyres (slight issue early doors with sensors)

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 01:41 PM   #15
Razel
Rider and driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude00 View Post

If you go this route, repairing a tire with a tire "sealant", be sure the person changing the tire off of the rim knows this in advance. Otherwise, you'll experience loud noises with words you've not heard in the native language.

I work for Keyser Söze
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 03:14 PM   #16
X5plug-in
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Interesting discussion. I was advised to avoid run flats for UK roads, especially if most trips are local so a BMW dealer, never mind a tyre shed, is no more than 30mins away. Harsh ride, poorer handling, reduced mpg, expensive to repair and replace, the biggest single complaint BMW had in the UK before they offered an option of normal tyres. My mate who had them on a 1 said it completely ruined it. Now a 1 is not an X3 but ... I went for the 2EB 17s with no runflats. Was that a boo boo?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 03:17 PM   #17
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

We have had three 5 series and two X5s in fleet with no run flat problems, complaints or issues - dont be worried about them

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 03:57 PM   #18
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

I've only had mine a week but they seem OK to me . Certainly no problem with the ride or the handling.

mpg not great so far though (oh no! ) but it's too early for accurate figures and I am on 19s and expected it to be worse than advertised ...

35 mpg BTW for mixed driving over 350 miles and no, before you ask, I haven't been driving it around like a madman

Last edited by sfax; 02-28-2011 at 04:05 PM.. Reason: 34=>35 :)
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 04:00 PM   #19
Bimmer Bertie
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 Coupe 325i

4+ years with run flats on my 3 series coupe. Dropped pressure only once while going down M1 (actually to see Bon Jovi later that evening). Nil issues...just drove into nearest service station and contacted BMW thru emergency warranty service. As it was a Sunday I was given contact details of nearest Kwik fit. Went to one in Nottingham, tyre changed, job done all sorted in under an hour and got to O2 in time and had a real buzz. Can't comment on like for like with standard tyres as never had them in my coupe, but overall I think there isn't much difference in ride quality and I think run flats are definitly a safer option. Dread to think having a flat tyre while doing ~70mph down the M1...
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 11:32 PM   #20
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMMER UK 76 View Post
4 years with run flats on my E60 and not a single problem with tyres (slight issue early doors with sensors)
You mean for 4 years you have never changed the tires? how about punctures? New to runflats, my E60 were regular tires with a tiny spare wheel. Been worried of the Runflats.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 02:54 AM   #21
cooldude00
First Lieutenant
Rep

i tend to find the runflats a little more "bouncier" than non-runflats so wouldn't want them on a coupe/roadster but in the case of my e60, it's actually quite a nice ride hence i'm sticking with it on the F25.. also had 3 punctures and it's a nice feeling not having to even stop until have the time to get it replaced... think can travel up to 150 miles at 50mph...
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 03:47 AM   #22
marmite
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Don't know whether solely a BMW marketing rumour or not, but I heard that there was a push (at EU level) for run-flats to be standard on all cars in Europe. Motivated by safety.
I've been in a car in the fast lane and had a blowout, it's a scary experience - I count myself lucky that there was no crash. I've seen strewed bit of tyres, skid marks and glass on the road from other incidents.
I for one, would accept a little harshness for the safety benefits.
BMW xdrive30d M Sport Space Grey, Black Nevada, Aluminium Trim, 19" 369M alloys, Prof. Media package, Visibility package, Access package, VDC, Sun Protection Glass, Front Seat Heating, Split-folding rear seats, Sun Blinds, Lumbar support, Extended Storage, Business Stereo, DAB, Tel. USB audio interface, 6NR, 614 Internet.
Appreciate 0