BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-27-2011, 10:11 AM   #1
kozzi
Pygocentrus Piraya
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3MC

Garage List
2021 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
Sudden stop issue...

I've had my F25 X3 35i for a few weeks now with almost 1,000 miles on it. Needless to say I have been driving it a lot harder after 500 miles and enjoying it all. Last night while driving home, I was caught off-guard by a stop sign. I was going about 40ish down a side street when I saw the sign. I was about 20 feet away and didn’t want to fly through the intersection so I slammed on my brakes. The engine shut off and the transmission went into neutral after the car came to a stop. The X3 wouldn’t allow me to do anything until I started her up again. I tried to replicate the same exact thing this morning but couldn’t. I have DHP but was in Normal mode. I am surprised. I have heard of this before in other vehicles but never in any BMW. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

kozzi
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 11:37 AM   #2
gregoryw1
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 X3 30i

Garage List
2015 X3 35i  [0.00]
i did PCD delivery a few weeks ago. on the course one of the exercises is to really jam on the breaks when going 55 mph. what happened to me 8 times in a row is the ABS would kick in and it would do the ABS shake and come to a quick stop - but the car never shut off ... and let me tell you, since it wasn't my car, and since the instructor told me so, I stepped on those brakes so hard you would think my foot was going to go through the floor - lots of fun!!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 12:26 PM   #3
torzeck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i, 2020 X3 30i

Hmm... Just thinking out loud here

Because the car stopped like you turned it off it sounds like an electronics issue. Like a sensor fault , the equivalent to a throttle position sensor or a cam position sensor in a modern BMW .

Also, the CPU threw it into neutral.

If it was a fuel thing then I doubt the car would have died so perfectly. It would have starved and sputtered , or put itself in limp mode if the fuel pressure dropped. Again, the CPU put it into the neutral.

I would take it in for a diagnosis and to see if it threw an error code.

It's interesting so keep us posted.

Last edited by torzeck; 02-27-2011 at 12:27 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 02:58 PM   #4
alpineweiss
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, F25 X3

Mine shut off like that when I stopped at the first red light straight off the dealer floor! No fault codes stored, car has ran perfectly fine since. Just let the service dept know so they have it on file.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 03:59 PM   #5
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

I've also experienced an electronics issue. Occasionally when driving, the iDrive system will bong and tell me that my braking has been compromised and that I should brake moderately. I then pull over, turn off the car, turn off the electronics, and turn it all back on and the notification will not reappear. I am just a little worried what this could be, as there has been no hard braking done so far whatsoever.

If it helps, the iDrive displays the 4x4 warning.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 07:07 PM   #6
kozzi
Pygocentrus Piraya
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3MC

Garage List
2021 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineweiss View Post
Mine shut off like that when I stopped at the first red light straight off the dealer floor! No fault codes stored, car has ran perfectly fine since. Just let the service dept know so they have it on file.
Thanks...will notify dealer first thing tomorrow. I'll post after I have it checked out.
kozzi
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 08:46 PM   #7
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by juddholland View Post
I've also experienced an electronics issue. Occasionally when driving, the iDrive system will bong and tell me that my braking has been compromised and that I should brake moderately. I then pull over, turn off the car, turn off the electronics, and turn it all back on and the notification will not reappear. I am just a little worried what this could be, as there has been no hard braking done so far whatsoever.

If it helps, the iDrive displays the 4x4 warning.
I had the exact same thing happen a couple of days ago. I started pulling away from a light and got up to 10 mph or so. Got a warning "bong" and the scary "There is a problem with your brakes" on the screen. My foot was not even near the brake pedal. Also, several warning lights including the ABS and Park went on. The brakes felt fine - perfectly normal, and I'm sure all (4) were working. Pulled over, shut it off, waited 10 sec., restarted and all was well. Has not done it since, but if it happens again it's back to the dealer.

Sounds like it may be a software "glitch" or a sensor issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 09:44 PM   #8
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
I had the exact same thing happen a couple of days ago. I started pulling away from a light and got up to 10 mph or so. Got a warning "bong" and the scary "There is a problem with your brakes" on the screen. My foot was not even near the brake pedal. Also, several warning lights including the ABS and Park went on. The brakes felt fine - perfectly normal, and I'm sure all (4) were working. Pulled over, shut it off, waited 10 sec., restarted and all was well. Has not done it since, but if it happens again it's back to the dealer.

Sounds like it may be a software "glitch" or a sensor issue.
Yeah if it happens again I'm going to call and schedule a time for me to bring it in.
Appreciate 0