BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-18-2011, 07:03 PM   #1
ScottX3
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3

Navigation Points of Interest via Google Search

The integrated Points of Interest is severely limited compared to say an Alpine system. It does look like it allows Google search but I have not figured out how to make that work. I'm never able to get it to connect. I have a bluetooth connected iPhone in the car with signal. Is there some trick to make this feature work?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2011, 04:28 AM   #2
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottX3 View Post
The integrated Points of Interest is severely limited compared to say an Alpine system. It does look like it allows Google search but I have not figured out how to make that work. I'm never able to get it to connect. I have a bluetooth connected iPhone in the car with signal. Is there some trick to make this feature work?
The car uses its own SIM for data access, not the iPhone's SIM. Sounds like it's not activated if you can't connect, or there is no coverage.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2011, 06:27 AM   #3
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

I believe the Google search requires subscription to one part of the BMW Assist, concierge service or one of those. So, I think it's connecting via it's own sim, checking subscription status, and then performing the search or not accordingly.
      02-19-2011, 01:34 PM   #4
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
I believe the Google search requires subscription to one part of the BMW Assist, concierge service or one of those. So, I think it's connecting via it's own sim, checking subscription status, and then performing the search or not accordingly.
This is true and in the UK this is included as part of the Professional Multimedia Package with a 3 year subscription to ConnectedDrive which uses the car's SIM.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 02:14 PM   #5
maestroX2
Private
Rep
Drives: 328i

There is Video in my BMW bmwusa.com website.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...8-625db5247509
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 10:24 PM   #6
ScottX3
United_States
Rep

Google search will not work with iPhone

Went to the dealer today. They said Google Search in the Points of Interest screen does not work with iPhone but does with BlackBerry Storm. They also said that Google Search was limited in the results it returned and that the internal system was better which I already find quite limited relative to what else is out there.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 01:58 AM   #7
acey81
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 40d M-sport; F80 M3

Not getting why on earth they have locked these features in 'BMW Assist', especially since it's only available in a handfull of countries around the world. Stupid.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 12:31 PM   #8
Alanintx
ATAP
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Midnight Blue 430xi GC

In the US, the Google Search (which, I believe is the same as BMW Search) requires the additional BMW Assist $199 Convenience Plan, I am told. However, the Google Maps e-mail to the car works fine without any upgrades - sends the e-mail to the message queue in the Office menu.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 04:16 PM   #9
ScottX3
United_States
Rep

Looking at pages 131 and 132 of the owners manual there are different directions for finding Points of Interest via Google Search and BMW Assist so I am suspicious that these are different. If anyone in the US has got Google Search to work, it would be great to hear about it.

When I take the car in for my first maintenance I'll ask them to "fix" my Google search and see what happens.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 04:23 PM   #10
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I asked the dealer about it -- granting that this may not be the be all end all answer -- and he reaffirmed that it's a function of the Convenience Plan. Those additional instructions are about the BMW Assist Concierge Service vice only BMW Assist.
      02-26-2011, 10:24 AM   #11
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottX3 View Post
Went to the dealer today. They said Google Search in the Points of Interest screen does not work with iPhone but does with BlackBerry Storm. They also said that Google Search was limited in the results it returned and that the internal system was better which I already find quite limited relative to what else is out there.
I'm not sure why that would be the case (Google Search / iPhone) as this function surely just uses the car's SIM for data access and is independent of your phone. Confused.

I have only just requested BMW Assist activation so when I'm online in a few days, I'll give it a go.

I tried the built in points of interest search and whilst it wasn't comprehensive, it was still pretty good (although I have nothing to compare it with other than a full Google search). It picked up all of the local petrol stations, most of the local pubs, and 2/3 curry houses nearest me

Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 11:26 AM   #12
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I think that dealer was blowing smoke to try to get you happy.
      03-01-2011, 06:14 AM   #13
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

I have now had my ConnectedDrive account activated and the Google stuff is all working well. It has nothing to do with the phone you have paired or connected as far as I can see (I have a paired iPhone 3G at the moment).

I even tried photos at location and this worked too although a little slow. Think it was using a GPRS connection rather than 3G.

I love all of this stuff and I have also used the Google Send To Car which is so much better than getting to your car and spending time tapping in route information on the iDrive.

Oh, and like the little X3 graphic that appears during the service reminder

Some iPhone pics of it in action below. Apologies for the quality
Attached Images

Appreciate 0