BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-13-2024, 05:55 AM   #1
xben
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 x3 xdrive 28i

2012 x3 28i xDrive 3.0L won't start after replacing the starter

Hi everyone, new to this forum as just 6 months ago I purchased a 2012 BMW X3 28i xDrive 3.0L which after a thorough research I did before purchasing (no accidents, all services done on time, low mileage 120.000km) seemed like was a good option.
And then from the first days that my wife was driving it she told me that sometimes while she was trying to break while coming to a stop on a traffic lights or when attempting to park the car felt like was not stopping and she had to use the hand break to bring the car at a full stop. We checked the brakes and replaced the break pads and the car seemed to drive well until a few days ago when she was trying to enter a underground parking garage and while she was breaking to bring the car to a stop in front of the barrier pole the car didn't come to a full stop but was sliding and to avoid hitting the barrier she used again the hand brake and the car came to a stop but in her panic she heard a noise (she described it like spinning) and then she turned the car off.
After calming down a few minutes later she tried to start the car again and it won't start anymore although it showed there was still power.
After some unsuccessful attempts trying to boost the battery we towed it to my mechanic.
The mechanic tried to crank it manually and the crankshaft gave the impression that sometimes was moving around easily and sometimes harder and based on his suggestion we agreed to change the starter but now he is saying that the car still isn't starting and that engine is gone (crankshaft ceased!!)
I was prepared to spend some money considering getting a used car but a new engine so soon without any other indication!!!
I there anything else I need to check ?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 10:41 AM   #2
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by xben View Post
The mechanic tried to crank it manually and the crankshaft gave the impression that sometimes was moving around easily and sometimes harder and based on his suggestion we agreed to change the starter but now he is saying that the car still isn't starting and that engine is gone (crankshaft ceased!!)
Welcome to the forum...
This post is confusing at best...
If the crank rotates by hand, it is NOT ceased, either your mechanic doesn't know what they're doing or something has been lost in translation
What type of shop did you take it to, do they specialize in BMWs?
Appreciate 0