BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-04-2024, 07:49 PM   #1
doubledax3
Rep
Drives: 05 E46 iT, 12 X3 28i

Removing grilles from 12 F25

Hey all .... just need some info about removing the grilles. I'm a pretty damn good mechanic, Ill admit the X3 is new to me.
I swear it looks like you practically have to pull the whole front cover assy. to access the tabs that need to be relieved to pop the grilles out. It cant be that complicated ?? I removed a bunch of bolts across the top , above radiator, plastic trim piece. No luck ...
Any tips would be nice. thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 09:07 PM   #2
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Use a hose tool or a flat blade screw driver bent in a U-shape through the front of the grille to unlatch the clips.

Name:  hose tool.bmp
Views: 69
Size:  4.12 MB
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 02:25 AM   #3
Beeeming
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X3 35i

Thanks for the info on needed tool
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 02:13 PM   #4
doubledax3
Rep

Im sure I can probably make a tool like that. SO.... put it between the slats and pull UP ? on the clips, or, toward the center of the grill ???

Looks like theres about three clips at the top and three at the bottom ??

Thanks for the tip ...
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 02:25 PM   #5
mwat
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 & LCI X3 35i M Sport

Garage List
2016 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
2001 BMW M3  [0.00]
Mine was an LCI X3 and it was quite literally impossible to use any tool to release the grill fully without taking the bumper off.

After reading a million forum posts someone said to get as many clips as you can (I think I only got the top 2 after pulling the bumper back) and then yank the grill (by the slats) outwards towards with two hands. They both popped right out, I think I broke maybe 1 tab on each grill.

I'm convinced it is not possible to remove an LCI grill "the right way" without removing the bumper.

Pre-Lci, i'm not sure.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 02:29 PM   #6
mwat
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
2001 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledax3 View Post
Im sure I can probably make a tool like that. SO.... put it between the slats and pull UP ? on the clips, or, toward the center of the grill ???

Looks like theres about three clips at the top and three at the bottom ??

Thanks for the tip ...
If I'm remembering correctly there's 6-10 clips total.
2/3 on top, 2 on each side, 2/3 on the bottom. (look at the substitute grills for an idea of where they're located)

In my experience the top ones are doable, the rest are impossible. Maybe I'm just being negative.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 06:38 PM   #7
doubledax3
Rep

OK, Its OFFICIAL !!!! You are NOT getting the grilles out without taking the cover off !!!!!!!!!!
I pulled the top 6 bolts across the top and yes, I did release the top 3 grille clips, but the side and bottom ones, FORGET IT !!!!!!!!!
I made a tool similar to the one you posted and NO LUCK !!!!!!!!!

If someone is in my area of Central Oregon and wants to come and show me how its done, Ill even pay you !
I just want to pull my grilles so I can separate them and leave the outer rim chrome-ish and paint just the slats black !
Sorry guys, their not coming out !! I tried most of the day !!
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 07:46 PM   #8
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
OK, Its OFFICIAL !!!! You are NOT getting the grilles out without taking the cover off !!!!!!!!!!
I pulled the top 6 bolts across the top and yes, I did release the top 3 grille clips, but the side and bottom ones, FORGET IT !!!!!!!!!

If someone is in my area of Central Oregon and wants to come and show me how its done, Ill even pay you !
I just want to pull my grilles so I can separate them and leave the outer rim chrome-ish and paint just the slats black !
Thanks
Sorry, I don't live anywhere near by or I'd give you a hand. It's OFFICIAL, I was able to remove mine, lol. It took ~1/2 hour to figure out how to remove them, would take < 10 minutes now that I know the technique. As I unclipped each clip I used a few trim removal tools to keep them from popping back in.

Sure it would be much easier to get to the clips with the cover off, but it IS doable with the cover in place. Start at the top and do it on a warm day so the plastic is more flexible.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 06:52 AM   #9
mwat
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
2001 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:

Thanks
Glad I'm not the only one.

I'm telling you all it works, undo the top clips then just grab firmly and pull towards you.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 08:04 PM   #10
doubledax3
Rep

OK.... Im not right... again ! SO..... I am not one who does not like to feel I cannot do something ! SO.. i went back at it and pulled back the upper edge of the cover farther and wedged my long screwdriver down there and released the 3 top clips and 2 side clips and rigged up a stiff wire bent to shape to release the bottom ones.
I guess I just didnt curse enough, it ALWAYS helps I have found this to be
true !!!!!
Then separating the chrome surround from the grayish center section\ the
slats, so I could paint the slats matte black and leave the chrome surround.
Thats the look I am after !!! SO... Im off to paint after hours of cleaning !!

Ill do my best to take some pics and post them when Im done ..
Thanks guys for all your advise on my project...
Appreciate 0