BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-25-2012, 09:14 AM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Post BMW i8 Spyder and 3 Series Li Presentations from 2012 Auto China Beijing

BIMMERPOST NEWS
BMW i8 Spyder and 3 Series Li Presentations from 2012 Auto China Beijing
COMMENTS

Have a look at the sights and sounds from BMW's presence at the 2012 Auto China show, currently underway in Beijing, China. The two big premieres at the show for BMW were the BMW i8 Spyder Concept and the BMW 3 Series Li Long Wheelbase model. The press conferences for each model can be viewed below, along with some more information on each and photos.

BMW i8 Spyder Concept

Munich/Beijing. The BMW i8 Concept Spyder is celebrating its world premiere at the Auto China 2012 in Beijing (23 April – 2 May 2012) and the rear-end of the car clearly bears the eDrive emblem for the new technology. In future, the designation eDrive will identify the drive technology for all electric and plug-in hybrid cars from BMW i.

BMW eDrive comprises the components of the electric drivetrain: the electric motor developed in-house by BMW, the lithium-ion battery, and finally the intelligent motor management system. This technology ensures that electromobility with BMW eDrive offers a unique experience. This is because the full torque of the electric motor is available from a standing start and the acceleration unfolds continuously in thoroughbred electric vehicles until the top speed is attained. Vehicles with BMW eDrive technology are therefore extremely agile and offer enormous driving pleasure. The lithium-ion battery cells and the intelligent motor management system also offer a substantial increase in range and power for the vehicle.

The future will see BMW eDrive technology empowering all electric drives – electric and plug-in vehicles from BMW i – giving them the capability for being particularly dynamic and smart.

Show photos courtesy of autohome.com.cn

Vital Stats
  • High performance 3-cylinder petrol engine (164 kW) in rear with i3's electric motor (limited to 96 kW) in front
  • Total torque of 550 Nm (300Nm petrol engine + 250 Nm electric motor)
  • 3 driving modes - electric, petrol, or both engines at once
  • 1,630 kg
  • 0-100kph (62mph): 5.0 seconds
  • 80-120 km/h (50-75 mph): 4.0 seconds
  • Top speed: 250kph (155mph) (limited)
  • 3 L/100km / 94 mpg imp
  • 50:50 weight distribution

3 Series Li Long Wheelbase

The BMW 3 Series Long Wheelbase Sedan has just premiered at the 2012 Auto China show in Beijing. The 3 Series Li has been announced in three models - 320Li, 328Li, and the 335Li.

The Li model adds 11 centimeters (4.3 inches) to its wheelbase over the standard F30 3 series sedan, resulting in a more spacious passenger cabin (particularly the rear). Both the BMW 3 Series Sedan in the long wheelbase version and the new BMW 3 Series Sedan will be available in China before the end of the year.

These models will be for the Chinese market only and will be produced at BMW's new Shenyang production plant.

3 Series Long Wheelbase Sedan

Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 10:00 AM   #2
kaishang
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 330d

Like the 650GC.

The whole show could do with more booth babes though.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 11:12 AM   #3
Grayson
Heisenberg
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

I will definitely feel like I'm on a futuristic movie set the first time I see one of these driving around.

AR Catless Downpipes | Berk Full Street Exhaust | HPF FMIC | COBB AP | aFe Magnum Stage 2 | E93 M3 Front Sway Bar & Bushings | Michelin Pilot Super Sports | Hardwired Radar | Eurotek BBS LM | Schmiedmann LCI Blacklines | BMW Performance: Spoiler, Diffuser, Shift Boot, E-Brake
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 03:34 AM   #4
frankR
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw series

I've learned about it too. The Beijing Auto Show got the first look at the BMW i8 Spyder in the flesh. The i8, BMW's gorgeous mid-engine, plug-in hybrid sports vehicle, is scheduled to debut in 2014, with the convertible following in 2016. With the right auto loan financing, you might be able to snatch up an i8 Spyder pretty quickly.
Appreciate 0