BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-11-2015, 12:34 PM   #155
wangt86
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 WRX, F25 X3, Lotus Elise

After revisiting this issue I think the cause was bad gas.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 08:00 AM   #156
jsublime
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

Garage List
2015 BMW X3 28i  [0.00]
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Had our X3 in for service and the apparent cause was failed communication between the KOMBI and EGS modules. As others have stated, dealer offered to reprogram but they seem to have no idea why this occurred in the first place.
      01-06-2016, 09:33 AM   #157
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

Just a quick update - my father's 2011 X3 with the 3.0 N52 engine, 65,000 kms started experiencing drivetrain malfunction issues in December, gone into Limp mode, and CEL light. On moderate throttle the car would start lurching, and on idle I can hear the occasional ping, but driving lightly (simulating Eco mode) it is possible to get speed. It's worse when the engine was cold.

Turned out one of the cylinders was misfiring. Replaced all six ignition coils and spark plugs... about an hour labor at an independent shop. Runs like a champ now. My father even commented that he notices more power, so I assume that this will lead to improved fuel economy.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 11:25 AM   #158
Cajun X3
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3 M Sport

Hey, everyone. I just had this issue pop up yesterday on a 2017 N20 engine. We've had a pretty bad cold snap here in New Orleans (for us!) this week with temps going as low as about 18 degrees F. My X3 had sat for several days without me driving it. I figured I would go out and drive it to keep the battery from going dead and upon startup got the Drivetrain Malfunction error.

I figured it must be related to the cold weather so I drove it around with reduced power for about 10 minutes but the error never went away. Went back home, let the car sit for a bit, restarted it and the error was gone. I read through several pages of this thread where the PDM seems to be the cause and that a fix was on the way.

This thread started in 2014, so was there ever a fix? Mine's a 2017! Should I take it to the dealer? Or be concerned? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2018, 08:59 PM   #159
xlr8nbimbo
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 3.5i

Drive it for a few days and see if it feels okay. If the CEL doesn't go away and it's running crappy, take it to the dealer. You probably still have a warranty. My 2011 35i threw a bunch of codes with CEL all week after a cold snap here in Toronto. Today, the CEL went away. Took it to a car wash and the CEL immediately returned! Not losing any sleep at the moment as the car is running really strong.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 04:23 PM   #160
supreetsingh
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i - 2013

Hi Guys

I got my car washed bumper to bumper from someone. They did the Engine wash too.

After that and even on the day i have to pick up car , Engine Lights , Drive train malfunction with all other lights come up. They told me its because its recently washed let it dry up. I took car back home and for 3 days the problem remain the same driving without power and not starting up early in morning.

On 4th day onward the problem dint happen. But again after 2-3 weeks engine light came up with drive train malfunction. I got it checked with other mechanic , he reset the sensors.

But after a week finally they drive train malfunction light come up with other flat tire inactive and chassis stabilization lights . This time even if you start again, its not going. I had to take car back home carefully. And it stays there overnight. But in morning when i tried to start my Car, its not starting up and second its throwing some black smoke from muffler.

WHat do you guys think can be the issue.?
I have peoples choice warranty of Gold package but except High Tech Electronic coverage.
I am a little worried now.

Car kms - 125k
Fuel - Reserved.
Model - BMW X3 35i
Year - 2013
Weather = -9 feels like
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 04:24 PM   #161
supreetsingh
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i - 2013

Hi Guys

I got my car washed bumper to bumper from someone. They did the Engine wash too.

After that and even on the day i have to pick up car , Engine Lights , Drive train malfunction with all other lights come up. They told me its because its recently washed let it dry up. I took car back home and for 3 days the problem remain the same driving without power and not starting up early in morning.

On 4th day onward the problem dint happen. But again after 2-3 weeks engine light came up with drive train malfunction. I got it checked with other mechanic , he reset the sensors.

But after a week finally they drive train malfunction light come up with other flat tire inactive and chassis stabilization lights . This time even if you start again, its not going. I had to take car back home carefully. And it stays there overnight. But in morning when i tried to start my Car, its not starting up and second its throwing some black smoke from muffler.

WHat do you guys think can be the issue.?
I have peoples choice warranty of Gold package but except High Tech Electronic coverage.
I am a little worried now.

Car kms - 125k
Fuel - Reserved.
Model - BMW X3 35i
Year - 2013
Weather = -9 feels like
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 12:49 PM   #162
payamfor@gmail.com
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011

Drivetrain Malfunctioning error - injector problem in diagnosis and shuddering

I drive a 2011 X3 2011 28i xDrive ,
I am experiencing the Drivetrain Malfunctioning error on my iDrive, with the engine shuddering, problem arose some months ago in uphill driving and now is constantly there - I took it to a European local experienced shop which shows issue in Injection # 3 in diagnosis. He changed the Injector # 3 and the issue stayed the same. He swapped different injectors (1, 2, 4, 5, 6) to the position of injector # 3 and still saw the problem. He checked all connectivity from ECU to Injections and made sure its working.
He told me he is sure its the ECU problem and most likely a hardware wiring issue on the ECU box!, but I think its very unlikely. I am skeptic to Spark Plugs, Vanos Solenoid, Air Intake sensor, coil pack or PDM.

Any thought?
I am out of warrantee and do not want to go to dealership games and spend grands for this car!
Thank you!
Could you help me repair this?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 10:49 AM   #163
malicem3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3

We experienced this issue on Friday.

Ambient temp was about 27* and the car had not been driven in 3 days. We have not had any issues with cold starts previously. About 200ft after start-up we received the "Drivetrain Malfunction" error and subsequently limp mode. Parked the car and turned it off. Tried starting it 3 times but the engine wouldn't turn over. After the 4th attempt, it started as if there were no issues.

Scheduled an appointment with our Indy on Thursday. I'll follow-up with their findings.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 09:16 AM   #164
klungie
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 F25 28i

Hi all, newbie to BMW car and bimmerpost here

I just got drivetrain malfunction 3 days ago. Bought the car 3 weeks ago and I haven't got my plate yet and the car already breaks down, please help.

Basically in the morning, it started fine, used it to go to office like usual 25miles one way.
In the afternoon, planned to go home, the car started fine. Suddenly in the highway, DTMF message came up. Car started to shudder, lost power, I had to park on the side of the highway, then the car died. I tried to start it, no luck. It still cranks though.

I checked the battery, was 12V, so I replaced it, but didn't solve the issue, car still cannot start.
I looked up the history of carfax, it had 1 service for cleaning the spark plugs, so I thought the plugs might be bad, so I changed all 4, and still no start. I have ordered myCarly, hopefully it will help me diagnose the issue better.

I checked all the fuses in the trunk, right rear side, every fuse is good; the relay for CAS is also good.

My guess is
1. fuel pump control module (EKPS)? I do not hear any whirring sound from the electric fuel pump
2. ignition coil? but I never experienced any lost power or shuddering before
3. fuel injector?
4. fuel pump?

My car is 2013 X3 28i, Please help somebody, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 03:49 PM   #165
malicem3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by malicem3 View Post
We experienced this issue on Friday.

Ambient temp was about 27* and the car had not been driven in 3 days. We have not had any issues with cold starts previously. About 200ft after start-up we received the "Drivetrain Malfunction" error and subsequently limp mode. Parked the car and turned it off. Tried starting it 3 times but the engine wouldn't turn over. After the 4th attempt, it started as if there were no issues.

Scheduled an appointment with our Indy on Thursday. I'll follow-up with their findings.
Resolution: Eccentric Shaft and Valvetronic Motor. $3000.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 02:50 PM   #166
chmsalman
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 535i x-drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by northX3 View Post
I did learn physics. I was 14 when I had my first physics class, and had my doctorate degree at age 22.
Your block lose no heat by convection when you're not moving (if I understand physics well enough, your car isn't moving when you start it first thing in the morning). There is no difference between starting your car at -20 with zero wind or at -20 with 60km/h wind. Once the engine is firing on all cylinders and you start driving, it may even get hotter in the 60km/h wind scenario, assuming you're driving with a tailwind.

I just leave this for you to read :
https://www.maine.gov/mema/prepare/f...shtml?id=83671
http://www.autos.ca/winter-driving/f...fect-your-car/
http://www.arch.ced.berkeley.edu/kap...esequipment/p1
http://weather.about.com/od/winterwe...Wind-Chill.htm

Lol go return your doctorate and start from scratch. I started learning physics at age 0.1 and got my doctorate at age 0.11 so you’ll have a hard time beating me.

Now to educate you:
Convection. Car isn’t moving when you start it first thing in the morning. Glad you got that much figured out. But if the wind is moving... the car is effectively moving in relation to air particles. It’s all a matter of perspective. Therefore moving car = moving air = effected by convection.

But then again what do I know, I’m just a dumb MD.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 10:16 AM   #167
oVeRdOsE.
Major
Rep
Drives: F25 E91 Audi Avnt E90 Cayenne

a non-energetic corps, @ ambient T° and no exothermic or endothermic effect = the wind won't lower the corps T°, and might increase it by air friction, depending the speed/pressure and surface type.

In other word, a BMW in the driveway since 24 h , @ -20°C drybuld, the engine block is @-20°C, even if the wind chill ''feels like'' -137°C.

back to topic :

According to my reading and experience, it seems like voltage variation more than anything else, for most people. I have this issue on a 13' 35i X3, this morning @-17°C drybuld. I had few weeks ago battery drain issue, and engine code related to low voltage at the JB+.

Someone can confirm, but BMW don't seem to rely on voltage only, but on amp also. According to the voltmeter I have 12.4V off, 14.4v ON, and the Genius tender saying its 100% charged, BUT I still have battery message, and drivetrain malfunction.

The issue seems to be the battery or the power module box, in most case. Which can be a good news, since its nothing permanent.

Last edited by oVeRdOsE.; 02-13-2019 at 06:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2019, 07:10 PM   #168
kjfxke
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3

I have a 2013 X3 and the following happened. Car stalled and DRIVE TRAIN MALFUNCTION LIGHT went on and then it went off and CHECK ENGINE light went on. Car started. Had car brought to dealer. Dealer reviewed and wrote following:
" Fault code for stiff eccentric shaft /sensor.Connected charger, performed short test, received faults for Valvetronic; performed test plan, performed Valvetronic sweep; Valvetronic is currenty working. Fault may return. "
What kind of problem, if any, do I have. Do I have to replace drive shaft and/or sensor. Car has 58000 miles.
Weather was about 35 degrees F when this happened - not really cold.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 09:53 AM   #169
malicem3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjfxke View Post
I have a 2013 X3 and the following happened. Car stalled and DRIVE TRAIN MALFUNCTION LIGHT went on and then it went off and CHECK ENGINE light went on. Car started. Had car brought to dealer. Dealer reviewed and wrote following:
" Fault code for stiff eccentric shaft /sensor.Connected charger, performed short test, received faults for Valvetronic; performed test plan, performed Valvetronic sweep; Valvetronic is currenty working. Fault may return. "
What kind of problem, if any, do I have. Do I have to replace drive shaft and/or sensor. Car has 58000 miles.
Weather was about 35 degrees F when this happened - not really cold.
I just replaced my eccentric shaft and valvetronic motor at our independent shop for $3000 - dealer would have been $4500-$5000. Are you under warranty? If anything, I'd be worried this replacement is where you're heading sometime in the future.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2019, 05:50 PM   #170
Humarocker
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

I just paid nearly $800 for BMW in Rockland MA to address/fix this issue (Drivetrain Malfunction/Chassis Stabilization warning) on my 2014 X3. The car would not go over 40mph and could have caused a major accident in heavy traffic... After almost 2 days of "researching" the issue I was told that they "found the carpet by the accelerator pedal wet" (They car has weatherguard floor mats). They apparently sprayed water on the car to see if there was a leak. Apparently no leak. So, they removed and replaced the gas pedal. ($177.29) and charged $571.49 in LABOR charges. I dont think this has anything to do with simple cold weather but some software bug they can probably clear in a few minutes.
I have really had it with all the electronic issues with BMW's that are not covered by my still in place "Certified Pre Owned" agreement... an $800 service charge for this "bug" should be part of a full recall!!
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2019, 11:24 PM   #171
Commerce
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humarocker View Post
I just paid nearly $800 for BMW in Rockland MA to address/fix this issue (Drivetrain Malfunction/Chassis Stabilization warning) on my 2014 X3. The car would not go over 40mph and could have caused a major accident in heavy traffic... After almost 2 days of "researching" the issue I was told that they "found the carpet by the accelerator pedal wet" (They car has weatherguard floor mats). They apparently sprayed water on the car to see if there was a leak. Apparently no leak. So, they removed and replaced the gas pedal. ($177.29) and charged $571.49 in LABOR charges. I dont think this has anything to do with simple cold weather but some software bug they can probably clear in a few minutes.
I have really had it with all the electronic issues with BMW's that are not covered by my still in place "Certified Pre Owned" agreement... an $800 service charge for this "bug" should be part of a full recall!!
I did not have any drivetrain malfunctions or chassis stabilization warning but I had the same issue of the carpet being very wet by the gas pedal last year. I also have rubber floor mats and always make sure to remove any excess snow off my boots. I did not take it to the dealer but I tried to replicate the leak by pouring water on the vehicle with no success. Also tested both sunroof drains which were not clogged as they were draining normally.
Appreciate 1
      02-24-2019, 04:55 AM   #172
Bilbofraggins
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6M, 2019 X3 M40I

Some battery drain issues...(two occasions). 2015 28i sits outside all weathers.

No problems since installing a Noco Mini 1... and using on colder nights...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 10:46 AM   #173
Cnd Pharaoh
------------
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW - X3 - 30i

I have a 2013 X3 28, bought it 2 years ago, never had this alarm coming up, winter temperatures in Kitchener are pretty much the same extreme cold as everybody is mentioning, have had battery recharge alarms but not drive train so far, the car has 78k on it .
      03-04-2019, 07:36 AM   #174
oVeRdOsE.
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnd Pharaoh View Post
I have a 2013 X3 28, bought it 2 years ago, never had this alarm coming up, winter temperatures in Kitchener are pretty much the same extreme cold as everybody is mentioning, have had battery recharge alarms but not drive train so far, the car has 78k on it .
I guess it will depend on many factors.

x3 is my 2nd car ( 3rd transportation, using the train here ).

so,
- it sleeps outside at -20°C for weeks
- it does about 40-50 km /week (daycare , groceries)
- battery never get to T° , or be charged with the alternator.
- gas get old

right now, im just not clearing the code anymore, using the 1st car more.
Anyway it wont go on the highway. even with power limitation, its fine.
will figure this out when it will be warmer.
Pretty sure this is related to coil packs. Im used to this issue, I own german cars
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 09:11 AM   #175
malicem3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oVeRdOsE. View Post
I guess it will depend on many factors.

x3 is my 2nd car ( 3rd transportation, using the train here ).

so,
- it sleeps outside at -20°C for weeks
- it does about 40-50 km /week (daycare , groceries)
- battery never get to T° , or be charged with the alternator.
- gas get old

right now, im just not clearing the code anymore, using the 1st car more.
Anyway it wont go on the highway. even with power limitation, its fine.
will figure this out when it will be warmer.
Pretty sure this is related to coil packs. Im used to this issue, I own german cars
Cold weather has been causing a misfire on cylinder #2 for us. I'm guessing it really won't be an issue once it's warmer.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 09:22 AM   #176
oVeRdOsE.
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by malicem3 View Post
Cold weather has been causing a misfire on cylinder #2 for us. I'm guessing it really won't be an issue once it's warmer.
hopefully.

when I reset code, and we used it for a day long trip, the car 's fine.

Went it sits for 2-3 days, then it reappear, so yeah, probably cold whether and battery voltage related.
Appreciate 0