BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-27-2012, 08:26 PM   #1
Teemo Panda
*Bimmerpost Plasti Dip Guru*
United_States
Rep
Drives: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3

Garage List
2013 BMW X3  [5.66]
Red face Advice on what clay bar to prep for waxing?

Hey guys,

I have a 12 f25 35i in Metalic Black.
I do my own hand washing on the car. When I get my car services, I tell them to strictly not to wash my car, and also placed 4 signs that says: DO NOT CAR WASH, by owner, on top of the hood, hang one in the vent, sticker one on the driver side mirror and one at the side right of my rear window.

So yea, I am paranoid on taking care of my baby and not being molested by those people that dosent care if they scatched it or not.

Right now, I'm using the original Products from BMW.
Since I have the car for four months now. there is a lot of residue buildup onto the cars paint and I'm thinking to wax my car but before I wax my car I want to remove those particles that are still there after the car wash. can you guys suggest a clay bar that is safe for cars finish?

Thanks a lot!
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 09:24 PM   #2
paul386
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i Jet Black

I would imagine the BMW stuff is just an overpriced version of what they sell at Walmart... I use the Turtle Black Box or something like that.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 11:38 PM   #3
ando
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: i5 eDr40, G80 and F80

Garage List
2024 BMW i5 eDr40  [10.00]
2022 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
My X3 is my second Jet Black BMW. I agree proper washing is essential. I prepare my car with clay like you suggest but get Meguiars Clay kit at Target. I then follow with Klasse All In One. I imagine the BMW products are very good just never tried them. I learned about Klasse from a fellow bimmerpost member under the E90 section. Great advice.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 02:08 AM   #4
sard
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Just use any mild cut one..

http://www.detailersdomain.com/The-U...Kit_p_345.html something like that

E92 M3 - DCT - 20" BBS LM-R - KW Clubsport - Akrapovic Exhaust - Powerchip Tune - Arkym Aero Kit - HID Halo
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 02:28 AM   #5
gareth3685
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2.0D

My personal advice is to avoid clay bars.

I used one once and it picked up a tiny piece of grit from the bodywork and then proceeded to scratch the next area I used it on.

I'm sure in the right hands they give great results but its quite easy to do damage with them.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 09:34 AM   #6
bluesmachine
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 45e blue/cognac

Garage List
2011 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
1998 BMW 328ic  [0.00]
I clay my cars about 2 or 3 times a year and go with Griots Clay bar using their Speed Shine on freshly washed car and i've had great, great results.

Griots gives great, simple directions and after a wash and a clay your car is really ready to be waxed. My wax holds for quite a while using this simple method.

For washing I used PS21 products (their wheel cleaner as well)

For the clay i go with Griots and Speed Shine

For waxing I go back to PS21 and their paste wax.

Sometimes people wash thier cars after that clay but i've always done it in the three steps.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 08:04 AM   #7
turbotoy4me
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Garage List
2015 Porsche Macan ...  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2020 BMW  [0.00]
Hello,
There is an extensive discussion with several very good systems and products that others in the forum use to care for thier new X3's. I found this thread to be extremely helpful when I purchased my X3 and was looking for the best car care techniques.

Hope this helps.

http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showth...hlight=washing
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 09:30 AM   #8
JoeyO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: silver car

I'd recken any clay bar by Mequires or Mothers would be safe. They're easily found at Advance Auto or Pep Boy stores.

They often come with their own expensive lubricant, but I've found that just regular soapy and sudsy water acts as a pretty good lubricant for the clay bar to glide over your car's surface. So I just clay bar and wash the car at the same time. But I only clay bar about once a year.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 12:15 PM   #9
Jan van Zyl
Private First Class
Namibia
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 (F25) x-drive 2.0D

Smile Awesome thread...

Have just spent 2 hours reading the thread and posts. Strange that it popped to the fore now that I suddenly also developed a deeper interest in detailing...Thank you for all the info. Seems a very nice summary. I know there's still a lot on the e90 forum - but will leave that for another day. Seeing some of the pics here it can only inspire me to be like the "Avis" girls: try harder!!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 01:15 PM   #10
renderfarmer
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 xDrive35i M

Obviously they're biased, but if you go on autogeeks.net and initiate an online chat with one of their reps they can steer you towards a good product in any category. They haven't steered me wrong yet.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 06:50 PM   #11
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gareth3685 View Post
My personal advice is to avoid clay bars.

I used one once and it picked up a tiny piece of grit from the bodywork and then proceeded to scratch the next area I used it on.

I'm sure in the right hands they give great results but its quite easy to do damage with them.
You must thoroughly wash and dry the vehicle before using clay. This is user error.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesmachine View Post
I clay my cars about 2 or 3 times a year and go with Griots Clay bar using their Speed Shine on freshly washed car and i've had great, great results.

Griots gives great, simple directions and after a wash and a clay your car is really ready to be waxed. My wax holds for quite a while using this simple method.

For washing I used PS21 products (their wheel cleaner as well)

For the clay i go with Griots and Speed Shine

For waxing I go back to PS21 and their paste wax.

Sometimes people wash thier cars after that clay but i've always done it in the three steps.

Hope this helps.

+1 Griot's Garage clay bar and Speed Shine as lubricant. I also skip the "after wash", but do a full Speed Shine wipe and buff afterwards to remove any residue from the clay.

If you haven't used a clay bar before, go to Griot's website (no matter what brand you wind up using) and watch the instructional video. I would also recommend practicing on a small less conspicuous area (better yet, another car) to get the feel and hang of it. The basic key is - lots of lubrication. Don't spare the Speed Shine!

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0