BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-30-2012, 10:06 AM   #1
gemuk
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 35d M sport 2012

Ventialation on rear passenger compartment

the little wheel in the centre of the rear passenger compartment is supposed to vary the temperature between cool and warm but even when turned towards the red for a warmer temperature there is no heat and the temperature still feels very cool. Has anyone else noticed whether or not they are getting warm air out of these vents?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 10:28 AM   #2
renderfarmer
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 xDrive35i M

I get warm air out of the rear vents but only after the car engine has warmed up. I have all of my climate settings on Auto and 20C for reference.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 10:30 AM   #3
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
It takes quite a while before the back vents start blowing warm. Much longer than the front and it never seems to be near as warm as the heat coming from the front vents. I think this is def. one of the X's weaker points (rear heat and a/c). I'm glad I have the heated rear seats for the kids.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 12:18 PM   #4
tank531
Deckhand
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 2.0D SE xDrive (Sep 11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
Mine pumps out plenty of warm (not "hot") air when set to "full red". However, it takes a little while longer for the air to reach full temperature at the back duct. I'd guess it takes about 4 or 5 minutes longer than when the front duct air becomes warm, probably because there is a lot of plastic pipe to warm up. I tend to keep the temperature controls set to 70 deg. F. The rear vent wheel can only vary the temp. from cool to the air temp that is coming out of the front ducts, not any hotter. Keeping the front duct regulators set to about "1/2 - open", and using a higher blower speed will force more air to the rear.

I've been surprised by how fast the front ducts actually start producing heat. On our 35i, I can feel warm air within a couple of minutes, which is faster than the last few cars we've had.
I dont have any experience of the rear vent temp and air volumes as I usually drive in the front seat

However, I agree with Lotus on the front vent/temp 'speed'. Since the new-year I have started up a F25 and a Mini simultaneously on sub-zero mornings. Both are 2011 and although its only one model vs another I noticed the windows on the F25 will defrost minutes quicker than the Mini and much quicker than I can recall other cars I have owned.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 02:31 PM   #5
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Agree that the front heats up quickly and cools quickly in the summer. It's the rear vents that are lacking.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 08:53 PM   #6
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Would love to have had vents in the cargo area -- the "way back" -- for dogs and temp sensitive stuff; also think conditioning the rear air volume would help keep back seat passengers comfortable.
      01-30-2012, 09:26 PM   #7
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Quote:
There actually appears to be some powered air circulation in the cargo area. There are air intakes on the side of the cargo area just behind the roll out cover and there are louvered vents that direct the air to the fixed rearmost side windows (probably for defrosting). There must be a small fan on each side because when the front fan is switched on, there is some forced circulation back there. I can feel air moving (slowly) through the louvers when the front fan is on.
No kidding? I tried to feel air there and failed. Will have to check AC settings and try again. Glad to have that! Would still take more, but happy to have some! Thanks.
      01-31-2012, 07:47 AM   #8
gemuk
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 35d M sport 2012

Quote:
Mine pumps out plenty of warm (not "hot") air when set to "full red". However, it takes a little while longer for the air to reach full temperature at the back duct. I'd guess it takes about 4 or 5 minutes longer than when the front duct air becomes warm, probably because there is a lot of plastic pipe to warm up. I tend to keep the temperature controls set to 70 deg. F. The rear vent wheel can only vary the temp. from cool to the air temp that is coming out of the front ducts, not any hotter. Keeping the front duct regulators set to about "1/2 - open", and using a higher blower speed will force more air to the rear.

I've been surprised by how fast the front ducts actually start producing heat. On our 35i, I can feel warm air within a couple of minutes, which is faster than the last few cars we've had.
I set the front vents to 1/2 open as you suggested, and it does help with the warm air in the rear compartment. The temperature isn't as warm as that from the front vents but at least its warm. Many thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 08:42 PM   #9
bigblackwolf
Private
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 xDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemuk View Post
the little wheel in the centre of the rear passenger compartment is supposed to vary the temperature between cool and warm but even when turned towards the red for a warmer temperature there is no heat and the temperature still feels very cool. Has anyone else noticed whether or not they are getting warm air out of these vents?
I did not check the rear passenger compartment, but I have the same behaviour with the front ventilation. It seems that the little wheel with the blue and red dot has no effect at all. The only way to change the temperature is turning the temperature setting dials. In my case, I checked this with AC/Auto off, and just the ventilator running.

I have the "automatic climate control with enhanced features" and I wonder if this is a feature of this version of the climate control. If yes, that is fine with me, just a bit misleading.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 01:25 PM   #10
Alligator69
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 2.0d Mineral Silver

I believe those two wheels help in setting "slightly" different temperatures than the one set via the A/C system. At least this was my discovery with the old 320d I had, didn't fiddle much with my brand new F25 (just arrived!!!).

For example, I don't like the too cold air to come on my face when driving in summer, but I do like to have the car fresh enough. I usually turn the wheel half way towards the red and while the cold air goes to screen, lateral grids and feet, the central grid blows "normal" temperature air, not causing headaches :-)

Ciao.

A.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 08:28 PM   #11
bigblackwolf
Private
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 xDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alligator69 View Post
I believe those two wheels help in setting "slightly" different temperatures than the one set via the A/C system.
I usually turn the wheel half way towards the red and while the cold air goes to screen, lateral grids and feet, the central grid blows "normal" temperature air, not causing headaches :-)
Yes, that is it!
Originally, I thought it would be cold or warm air, like in all the cars I owned before, but this is the explanation.
This is the best for hot climates: cool air to keep temperature down in the surrouding, but not directly on the face.
That is also what is explained in the BMW videos:
http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...s4Uh1hJ91VZAU=
Generally, I find the videos quite helpful, better than the manual.

Looking forward for more good hints from you later Alligator!
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 09:39 AM   #12
Alligator69
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 2.0d Mineral Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblackwolf View Post
Yes, that is it!

Looking forward for more good hints from you later Alligator!

Happy to be of any help.

Good hints (hopefully) will come in a while....
Appreciate 0