BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-04-2015, 04:48 AM   #1
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
Why is there so much X4 hate around?

I've been seriously considering changing my current F30 328i for a X4. The engine choice doesn't bother me as much as it used to (especially after driving the N20 in my current car) but I will probably spring for a 35i (shame the M40i is six months off at least).

What I don't get is why the hate for the X4. I get you don't need a licence to drive the internet, but it really appeals to me. I thought about getting a F36 428i GC but it's too similar to my current car to make me want to change.

I'd considered the Macan, but the lengthy options list and price in comparison turned me off.

The only thing that really bothered me when I checked it out was the lack of a tilt adjustable headrest! Big ticket item, I know :P

Anyway, that's that off my chest. Feel free to chime in with your views, however I suspect I'm preaching to the converted here.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 04:56 AM   #2
f4780y
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X4M Competition

I'm with you Dabaitu. I get that many folks either love it or hate it, but having just placed my order for the top spec model in the UK, I couldn't be happier. Everyone has different needs and wants, and for me, the X4 ticks all my boxes.
2001 E46 330i M54 | Orient Blue
1995 E36 318ti Compact Sport M42 | Red
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 05:06 AM   #3
robwoods
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 220d Gran Tourer Auto

Hi Dabaitu

I got my UK spec X4 2.0d SE (not even XLine or MSport!) 3 weeks ago, and I think it's brilliant. Smooth, handles well, practical enough without looking like a tank, and everyone who has been in it has commented on how nice it is.

Sure it's not cheap, and maybe the ride height could have been lowered a bit, but I have no regrets at all. How many of the folk that hate on the X4 are really in the market for such a vehicle, and how many are just bored trolls with nothing better to do?

No regrets!
Appreciate 1
      06-04-2015, 10:09 PM   #4
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Don't bother with what other say, if you like it go ahead, the X4 will polarize opinion not as bad as X6 but as mentioned here I get quite a lot of compliments. I think color choice also matters on X4 and whether Xline or MSport((more polarizing look).
Also looked at the Macan no regrets my experience here --->>> http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showth...ighlight=Macan
Appreciate 1
      06-05-2015, 12:07 AM   #5
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Thanks for chiming in everyone. Carbon black X4 will be the way to go for me. Just need to decide if I wait for the 40i.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 01:28 AM   #6
cold_fusion
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X4 30d M sport

I have met both "parties".
Some people said: Itīs the most good looking car in the city. # Makes me smile.
Others (2 people) said: Looks like a X5 that has been compressed. # I donīt listen to them!
      06-05-2015, 07:12 AM   #7
manolica1
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW X4

Hi folks, this is my first post here, what I want to say is that I never regret to replace my 2014 F30 Sport line with 2015 F26 M package, I am not saying that F30 is not a good car but because of sport suspension I've had many issues because of the lovely NYC roads, that makes me to get the X4 and I am happy with my choice...

NYC Lovely Roads

my babies

Appreciate 2
      06-05-2015, 09:17 AM   #8
newclass
Rep
Drives: x1 x35i msport, e46 sedan

That's what is great about the x4, polarizing style. I will be in the market soon for one soon. I have the x1 x35i msport so I know what a great engine it has.
Appreciate 1
      06-05-2015, 09:39 AM   #9
cold_fusion
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X4 30d M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolica1 View Post
Hi folks, this is my first post here, what I want to say is that I never regret to replace my 2014 F30 Sport line with 2015 F26 M package, I am not saying that F30 is not a good car but because of sport suspension I've had many issues because of the lovely NYC roads, that makes me to get the X4 and I am happy with my choice...

NYC Lovely Roads
Nice roads
      06-05-2015, 02:21 PM   #10
Jypsie
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X4 M40i Carbon Black

I don't care if people hate it, that is their problem, probably there is a "good" reason for it....

I loved the car, I wanted it, I bought it and I keep it. And I am happy every time I get into that car :-), makes my day, every day....
Appreciate 1
      06-05-2015, 05:57 PM   #11
ianfp
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolica1 View Post

NYC Lovely Roads

my babies

The X4 looks superb in silver!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 10:41 PM   #12
Bimar
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jypsie View Post
I don't care if people hate it, that is their problem, probably there is a "good" reason for it....

I loved the car, I wanted it, I bought it and I keep it. And I am happy every time I get into that car :-), makes my day, every day....
The X4 is the first car I have ever owned that look at admiration everyday and brings a big smile when I enter it....this is 9 months later.
Appreciate 1
      06-06-2015, 03:47 PM   #13
X3paul
Banned
Rep
Drives: E9 CSi, Z4M coup, E65 730d, E4

I did test the X4 before trading my X3 for the Macan. I liked it. Alot. Far better handling and noise insulation than my pre LCI X3 felt bigger inside than the Macan and in looked great on the outside. IMO the X4 is better looking than the Macan but the interior omg the interior on the X4 i am sorry to all owners but my E46 had better build quality - anyone tried taking the central airvents ? they came off with one finger and wont go in anymore leaving noises after. BMW clearly needed to fill in a niche fast before others did - BMW marketing boys think that the sucess of the X6 was due to beeing first in segment and in part they were right - so fitted a dated interior with poor quality build and quality. Not on par with the Macan. And the Macan is superior in the driving department. The steering, agility, corner speeds etc. Honestly there are very few sports car that can match it for that price. Very few. And price wise you ask?! : the X4 feels like a ripoff because the difference just isnt there to the LCI X3. The X3 drives 90% aswell as the X4. The Macan drives 50% better than the X4. The interior - despite missing the idrive I must admit - is and feels 100% more special than the X4/X3. For me, the Macan was a bargain and a no brainer.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2015, 04:32 PM   #14
Bimar
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3paul View Post
I did test the X4 before trading my X3 for the Macan. I liked it. Alot. Far better handling and noise insulation than my pre LCI X3 felt bigger inside than the Macan and in looked great on the outside. IMO the X4 is better looking than the Macan but the interior omg the interior on the X4 i am sorry to all owners but my E46 had better build quality - anyone tried taking the central airvents ? they came off with one finger and wont go in anymore leaving noises after. BMW clearly needed to fill in a niche fast before others did - BMW marketing boys think that the sucess of the X6 was due to beeing first in segment and in part they were right - so fitted a dated interior with poor quality build and quality. Not on par with the Macan. And the Macan is superior in the driving department. The steering, agility, corner speeds etc. Honestly there are very few sports car that can match it for that price. Very few. And price wise you ask?! : the X4 feels like a ripoff because the difference just isnt there to the LCI X3. The X3 drives 90% aswell as the X4. The Macan drives 50% better than the X4. The interior - despite missing the idrive I must admit - is and feels 100% more special than the X4/X3. For me, the Macan was a bargain and a no brainer.
Macan drive claim its 50% better is pushing it! Maybe max 20% interior material way better and the Macan seats best I have ever sat in!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2015, 07:32 PM   #15
X3paul
Banned
Rep
Drives: E9 CSi, Z4M coup, E65 730d, E4

Quote:
Originally Posted by X4guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by X3paul View Post
Macan drive claim its 50% better is pushing it! Maybe max 20% interior material way better and the Macan seats best I have ever sat in!
Sound macan wins, grip wins, corner speed wins, steering feel that alone puts the x4 to shame. The only thing I could say MAYBE x4 slightly more comfortable but my macan runs 20's and the x4 I drove had 19's. Sorry but there is no contest when it comes to who the "ultimate driving machine" is.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2015, 09:34 PM   #16
manolica1
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW X4

I feel like we are going in the wrong direction with this topic...

Ferrari is better than BMW, Veyron is better than Lamborghini... WTH?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2015, 12:58 AM   #17
Tjalle
Major
Rep
Drives: X4 35i

My analysis: It started with 1:st gen X6 being vulgar.
From front 3/4 view X4 is "funny looking" with sloping/undistinct rear end.
Sideview reveals unproportional ride height - C/O from X3.

Since lowering my X4, I got the "Combi Coupe" impression I was looking for- while still having a lot of interior space and easy in/out.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-07-2015, 01:05 AM   #18
Tjalle
Major
Rep
Drives: X4 35i

I was kicked out - I wanted to add:
-better/less sidewind sensitivity
-better overall handling
-less ride comfort on bumpy roads - 20" RFT:s.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2015, 02:28 AM   #19
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Yeah look I get the Macan is a good auto but we're staring to go off topic a bit. However...

It's also ridiculously more expensive if you option it to the same standard as the X4. At least or is in the Australian market.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2015, 09:56 AM   #20
Tchgrif
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X4 M40i

x4 love

i test drove the macan and the x4 back to back as the dealers are next door to one another here. I preferred the x4 in almost every category and placed my order, i love this car. I don't care what others think and frankly haven't since i was 12. most days im forced to drive a company vehicle and some days I cant get home in time to take the x4 out and i miss it like a pet. if you are happy with your macan good for you but to go on the x4 forum to gloat about how you feel your choice is superior is childish, i cant imagine having such an empty life that I would go to the macan forum to do the same. luckily i have a fantastic car to distract me from these feelings.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2015, 10:53 AM   #21
djrobx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X4 m40i Flamenco Red

I'm not sure why X4 these sorts of threads always seem to devolve into "but OMG the Macan". When I priced out a Macan heavily optioned to match what I was getting in my X4, it was around 10k more. To me, that puts it in a different class of car. It should be, being a Porsche.

Style is a preference thing, and I prefer the look of the X4 anyway. The X4 and X6 look like huge cars, the Macan has nice style to it, but it looks more like an SUV to me. Never been a big fan of Porsche SUVs, but the Macan is the nicest I've seen so far.

Folks who say the X4 is the car that nobody asked for are wrong. Before the X4 came out, I loved the X6. I didn't need anything close to that large though, and it was quite a bit more than I wanted to spend. The X4 is exactly what I was looking for.

I like the interior of my X4. I'm not a fan of the "iPad on the dashboard" look of more recent redesigns. I'm not experiencing rattles. To each their own!
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2015, 04:08 PM   #22
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by djrobx View Post
I'm not sure why X4 these sorts of threads always seem to devolve into "but OMG the Macan". When I priced out a Macan heavily optioned to match what I was getting in my X4, it was around 10k more. To me, that puts it in a different class of car. It should be, being a Porsche.

Style is a preference thing, and I prefer the look of the X4 anyway. The X4 and X6 look like huge cars, the Macan has nice style to it, but it looks more like an SUV to me. Never been a big fan of Porsche SUVs, but the Macan is the nicest I've seen so far.

Folks who say the X4 is the car that nobody asked for are wrong. Before the X4 came out, I loved the X6. I didn't need anything close to that large though, and it was quite a bit more than I wanted to spend. The X4 is exactly what I was looking for.

I like the interior of my X4. I'm not a fan of the "iPad on the dashboard" look of more recent redesigns. I'm not experiencing rattles. To each their own!
Well said.
Appreciate 0