BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-19-2014, 02:16 AM   #1
Chris55
Second Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35d M Sport

Suddenly too much oil warning?!? Advice please!

I had an oil change in November and the oil level showed a full green bar. I've checked now and then and it always reflected the same level.

2 weekends ago we drove from Zurich to Vicenza and back for the weekend, about 1,100 kms.

This morning I checked it by curiosity and it now shows a full YELLOW bar and says to much oil, contact dealer! And no, I haven't added any oil.

I've been trying to contact the dealer over the phone to no avail (busy I guess).

I have a hard time imagining the the oil has increased on it's own and suspect the problem must be in the sensor.

Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be and is it dangerous for the engine?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 02:36 AM   #2
02420X3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

If you didn't add any oil then either the sensor is bad, needs to be reset, or there is liquid entering the system from somewhere else (unlikely). I recently had a sensor error that occurred a few thousand miles after an oil change, where the sensor reported that it could not read and wanted me to visit the dealer within 2300 miles. I resolved the problem by rebooting. Try pushing in and holding the radio volume button for about 30 seconds.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 02:42 AM   #3
Chris55
Second Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02420X3 View Post
If you didn't add any oil then either the sensor is bad, needs to be reset, or there is liquid entering the system from somewhere else (unlikely). I recently had a sensor error that occurred a few thousand miles after an oil change, where the sensor reported that it could not read and wanted me to visit the dealer within 2300 miles. I resolved the problem by rebooting. Try pushing in and holding the radio volume button for about 30 seconds.
Does that reboot only the oil sensor or all the settings on the car? Also I guess
the ignition must be on and engine running?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 02:58 AM   #4
02420X3
Captain
Rep

It reboots the iDrive system. No settings will be lost. I did it with the engine running.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 03:00 AM   #5
Chris55
Second Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep

OK thanks, I'll give it a try.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 07:36 AM   #6
Chris55
Second Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02420X3 View Post
It reboots the iDrive system. No settings will be lost. I did it with the engine running.
I gave it a try and it does reboot but the reading is still yellow and to much oil. I guess the sensor is defective. I also checked the dipstick and the level is fine right below the max line.

Thanks anyway.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 07:51 AM   #7
Rodion
First Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25)

At least in Volvo diesel engines there was a known fault that diesel got into the oil and they mixed-up, ending "too much oil" fails and even engine failures because of thinned lubrication oil.

It was linked to the DPF regeneration burns. Everytime when DPF was burnt, some diesel got into the oil system.

I hope this is not the same thing, and the dipstick shows that it shouldn't be the same thing.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 07:54 AM   #8
Chris55
Second Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodion View Post
At least in Volvo diesel engines there was a known fault that diesel got into the oil and they mixed-up, ending "too much oil" fails and even engine failures because of thinned lubrication oil.

It was linked to the DPF regeneration burns. Everytime when DPF was burnt, some diesel got into the oil system.

I hope this is not the same thing, and the dipstick shows that it shouldn't be the same thing.
I hope not. I have an appointment for Monday. I just don't know if I should drive it till then.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 07:59 AM   #9
Rodion
First Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris55 View Post
I hope not. I have an appointment for Monday. I just don't know if I should drive it till then.
To be on the safe side: ask with the service that should you drive or not (telling that dipstick did not show excess oil level). If they say "yes, just drive", then it is sort of their mistake if anything happens
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 12:46 PM   #10
CatFlap
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ...

Not sure which engine you have though on the 30d there's a dipstick under the plastic engine cover on the right hand side as you're facing the windscreen. At least you can check the actual level. I had trouble with my 30d when I park it on a slope whereby the idrive warns of too much or too little oil (depending which way the car is tilted) Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 02:25 PM   #11
Chris55
Second Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by saggo View Post
Not sure which engine you have though on the 30d there's a dipstick under the plastic engine cover on the right hand side as you're facing the windscreen. At least you can check the actual level. I had trouble with my 30d when I park it on a slope whereby the idrive warns of too much or too little oil (depending which way the car is tilted) Hope this helps.
Thanks, I have the 35d and did check the dipstick this afternoon and the level of oil was right beneath the max level.

I just went to the dealer and he checked the oil and it was now right above the max line but then again the car was on a slight incline - which I thought was not too smart but I wasn't going to offend him. Anyway he said not to worry about driving it and bring it in the morning and they will remove a bit of oil.

Of course it still doesn't explain why it was green and ok for the last few months and is now yellow and showing too much oil
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 03:54 PM   #12
Pitiful Old Man
Private
Rep

It pretty much has to be related to the sensor. I had an old Porsche 911 which exhibited an oil "increase" problem and, on that car, it really was a problem. I was driving short distances in cold weather and it never got warm enough to purge the moisture from the oil. Over time the oil-water mixture would froth and the oil (-water) level would rise. Needless to say, not good for the engine. My eventual solution was to change the oil really often; not so good when it took 12 quarts each time.

All of the design elements leading to that type of problem are fixed in today's engines (they warm up way faster for emission control) and your driving pattern would preclude the issue anyway. Sounds like a connection problem or a flaky sensor.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 07:34 AM   #13
Chris55
Second Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep

Well the dealer took a look at it this morning and removed about a third of a liter. All is good now yet I'm still puzzled as to why it suddenly went from green to yellow. I'll keep an eye on it.
Thanks for all the advice.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 09:47 AM   #14
neil0779
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 30d

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Hi has anyone had any other issues with the oil level being too high as I have suddenly got the message as well. I have checked the dipstick on a cold engine in the morning and it was below the max fill mark. I have had the car for 5 months now without any messages. I think it might be the sensor. I also went through a bit of water during the recent rainfall so it could be water in the sensor wires depending on where it is located.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 07:09 AM   #15
Msportdriver1
Rep
Drives: X3 35d M sport

ok i know its a bit after the post in reply but my 35d has just done the same thing. Been green and ok for a while after oil change then all of a sudden too much oil see dealer. Dealer checked the level and it was a mismatch between sensor and engine ECU, they had to reset the sensor and do an oil change to ensure correct level from physical to ecu and sensor. All ok now and a free oil change on BMW
Appreciate 0