BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-11-2011, 04:02 PM   #1
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport

Variable Damping Control vs M-Tech Suspension

In my neck of the woods, options are very expensive due to taxes. Now, I have a choice between M-tech suspension & VDC, & the former is 1/3 of the price of the latter.
Wht I want to know is, as M-tech is not adjustable, will it be very harsh riding (on either 18" or 19") compared to VDC in normal mode? Also, is the VDC's sports mode comparable to M-tech's setting (or is it even firmer)? From the parts catalogue, it seems that the only difference between M-tech & VDC are the dampers as the part numbers are the same for the roll bars & springs.

Anybody able to help?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 04:11 PM   #2
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

I thought I read somewhere that the M suspension setting (same as sports package) is equal to "sport" on the Damping option, so not as stiff as the "sport +" but not as comfortable as the "normal" setting.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 04:26 PM   #3
carlili4190
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 Nissan 350Z, 11 BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
I thought I read somewhere that the M suspension setting (same as sports package) is equal to "sport" on the Damping option, so not as stiff as the "sport +" but not as comfortable as the "normal" setting.

Are we talking about the suspension that comes with the M-Sport Package? If so, I was told the "normal" setting with the M-Sport package is softer then the "normal" on the stock 35i. (I seriously hate this m-package... but it looks soooo good)
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 11:31 PM   #4
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlili4190 View Post
Are we talking about the suspension that comes with the M-Sport Package? If so, I was told the "normal" setting with the M-Sport package is softer then the "normal" on the stock 35i. (I seriously hate this m-package... but it looks soooo good)
In Europe, the M package comes with fixed-setting sports suspension as standard (VDC is optional), that suspension is what I'm now enquiring about.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 07:24 AM   #5
Mako
Rep

Quote:
that doesn't make any sense, if the rest of the world is getting a stiffer sport suspension why would they make a softer one for the US?

BMW is just confusing so many people with their options right now, saying Damper control is included on bmwusa.com, not saying anything about sport suspension on the sport or M packages, saying all season tires only on the M Package (I think this was supposed to be optional but lost in translation somewhere).

These are all big reasons I am waiting for 2012 models and hoping they clear it all up by then.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 08:44 AM   #6
frankwin
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive35i w/MSport and +

Quote:
Are we talking about the suspension that comes with the M-Sport Package? If so, I was told the "normal" setting with the M-Sport package is softer then the "normal" on the stock 35i.
Wow, that can't be real?? Seriously I am not arguing you but this is a matter of BMW credibility, you can't make a M Sport package with a softer suspension then the standard!
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 09:01 AM   #7
Kota
Enlisted Member
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 coupe, X3 3.5i on order

I think many imagine to get a sportier X3 because they call it "M sport" but in fact that version is exactly the same as the others, as you can get all its options for the SE anyway, like i did. They just painted out the black plastic and changed the 2 bumpers, plus few badges here and there.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 09:11 AM   #8
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankwin View Post
Wow, that can't be real?? Seriously I am not arguing you but this is a matter of BMW credibility, you can't make a M Sport package with a softer suspension then the standard!
People are just not paying attention here (typical of car forums). If you have MSport, you can adjust the settings, so no matter what is set for the "default"........
      04-12-2011, 09:22 AM   #9
Mako
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kota View Post
I think many imagine to get a sportier X3 because they call it "M sport" but in fact that version is exactly the same as the others, as you can get all its options for the SE anyway, like i did. They just painted out the black plastic and changed the 2 bumpers, plus few badges here and there.
Not really, can't get the antracite headliner, or 369M wheels, or shadowline exterior trim and black gloss roof rails... Now if you don't care for any of that, than why would you get it, BUT if you do like all those things, then you can't get it with the SE! And if it does in fact include performance control and damping setup, then $1750 extra on the 35i is a bargain!
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 09:27 AM   #10
frankwin
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive35i w/MSport and +

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuco44 View Post
People are just not paying attention here (typical of car forums). If you have MSport, you can adjust the settings, so no matter what is set for the "default"........
What do you mean, you can adjust suspension stiffness and transmission shift speed via a sport button even if you don't have the dynamic comfort package? Sorry but I haven't read all the posts on that forum yet.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 09:28 AM   #11
Kota
Enlisted Member
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 coupe, X3 3.5i on order

Quote:
Not really, can't get the antracite headliner, or 369M wheels, or shadowline exterior trim and black gloss roof rails... Now if you don't care for any of that, than why would you get it, BUT if you do like all those things, then you can't get it with the SE! And if it does in fact include performance control and damping setup, then $1750 extra on the 35i is a bargain!
Well, at least here in italy you can order everything separate included the shadowline and of course all the sport settings. I respect everyones taste of course, i just dont get why one should order a SAV and then try to make it look as if it was a sport car, which will never be!
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 10:31 AM   #12
CdnE90
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 335i, 11 X3 x35 (on order)

Quote:
Sorry tuco44, you do not get the adjustable suspension with the M Sport pkg. In Canada, you can only get that if you get the Dynamic Comfort pkg. The M Sport includes standard suspension.

See the attachment here: http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showpo...1&postcount=12

However, to confuse the issue, you do get the sport transmission, which (I believe) includes a similar switch on the console for switching the transmission settings between Normal and Sport. Your suspension is not affected by this switch.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 10:37 AM   #13
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
In Europe/ROW, the M-tech suspension included in the M-pack is not adjustable. U'll need to specify the optional VDC in order to have adjustable suspension.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 10:39 AM   #14
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnE90 View Post

However, to confuse the issue, you do get the sport transmission, which (I believe) includes a similar switch on the console for switching the transmission settings between Normal and Sport. Your suspension is not affected by this switch.
That switch is called "Dynamic Driving Control". So many of these "Dynamic x" "Dynamic y", BMW is I think trying to confuse us deliberately.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 10:40 AM   #15
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Quote:
Sorry tuco44, you do not get the adjustable suspension with the M Sport pkg. In Canada, you can only get that if you get the Dynamic Comfort pkg. The M Sport includes standard suspension.

See the attachment here: http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showpo...1&postcount=12

Actually it was me that was not paying attention. I know in Canada you need Dyn Comfort to make the settings adjustments. CdnE90s post above is correct and mine was not.
      04-12-2011, 11:01 AM   #16
Mako
Rep

I really think both the sport and M sport packages have a sport suspension setting, why else would the spec sheets show the "delete sport suspension" option, that is letting you delete the altered suspension if you don't want the stiffer ride. What is any sport package without a stiffer suspension? I couldn't see them charging $1250 on the 35i for just sport seats, sport steering wheel, and paddle shifters, thats all its really adding to the cost. I think part of that price is the adjusted suspension.

Some of you out there must have driven one with and one without the sport package, could you tell if there was a difference?

Last edited by Mako; 04-12-2011 at 11:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 11:35 AM   #17
CdnE90
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I really think both the sport and M sport packages have a sport suspension setting, why else would the spec sheets show the "delete sport suspension" option, that is letting you delete the altered suspension if you don't want the stiffer ride. What is any sport package without a stiffer suspension? I couldn't see them charging $1250 on the 35i for just sport seats, sport steering wheel, and paddle shifters, thats all its really adding to the cost. I think part of that price is the adjusted suspension.

Some of you out there must have driven one with and one without the sport package, could you tell if there was a difference?
$1250?!? Try $2900 in Canada, and all we get is the same as you list there:

- wheels, sport seats, sport transmission, performance control, and a bunch of extra trim items

In my opinion, not worth it! If it came with the adjustable suspension I would probably get it.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 11:39 AM   #18
Mako
Rep

Quote:
$1250?!? Try $2900 in Canada, and all we get is the same as you list there:

- wheels, sport seats, sport transmission, performance control, and a bunch of extra trim items

In my opinion, not worth it! If it came with the adjustable suspension I would probably get it.
sorry meant $1250 for just the sport package, $3000 for M SPort
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 12:07 PM   #19
carlili4190
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 Nissan 350Z, 11 BMW X3

Quote:
I couldn't see them charging $1250 on the 35i for just sport seats, sport steering wheel, and paddle shifters, thats all its really adding to the cost. I think part of that price is the adjusted suspension.

I would pay $1250 for the sport seats alone...
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 12:24 PM   #20
CdnE90
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I would pay $1250 for the sport seats alone...
I was going to paying $1800 for the sport seats and 309 wheels. Order was in and everything. That is until they cancelled production of the regular sport pkg as of April. Now I have to get the M Sport pkg to get the sports seats.

I have the sports seats in my 335, and they are sooo worth the $1250 like carlili says!
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 12:45 PM   #21
Mako
Rep

Quote:
I was going to paying $1800 for the sport seats and 309 wheels. Order was in and everything. That is until they cancelled production of the regular sport pkg as of April. Now I have to get the M Sport pkg to get the sports seats.

I have the sports seats in my 335, and they are sooo worth the $1250 like carlili says!
they canceled the sport package in Canada? ouch!

my problem is that the sport seats are a must for me too, but I just don't like that X-trim especially with the colors we are considering (blue or red) so I either have to go no sport package (meaning no sport seats) or to the M sport for $3K.
Appreciate 0