BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-08-2011, 11:13 AM   #45
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlili4190 View Post
What exactly is the "Sport Suspension Delete"
See now to me, Sport Suspension Delete, would mean that the Sport Activity package gives you a sport suspension compared to the normal one and its being deleted with the M Package.

Now originally most people (including dealerships) thought it was there as an option, so that if someone was getting the DHP then the dealer would select the sport suspension delete option on the M Package since you don't want that and the DHP. Would make sense, sort of like how you could delete the X-line part on the sport package... Or if someone just didn't want the Sport suspension but wanted the M Package.

But now it makes you wonder if it is actually being deleted because the M Sport does come with DCC! If in fact it does come with DCC and performance control (which an M Sport should) that why in the world is BMW charging $1300 for "active steering"? Way to go BMW, confuse the hell out of your customers
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 11:25 AM   #46
carlili4190
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 Nissan 350Z, 11 BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
See now to me, Sport Suspension Delete, would mean that the Sport Activity package gives you a sport suspension compared to the normal one and its being deleted with the M Package.

Now originally most people (including dealerships) thought it was there as an option, so that if someone was getting the DHP then the dealer would select the sport suspension delete option on the M Package since you don't want that and the DHP. Would make sense, sort of like how you could delete the X-line part on the sport package... Or if someone just didn't want the Sport suspension but wanted the M Package.

But now it makes you wonder if it is actually being deleted because the M Sport does come with DCC! If in fact it does come with DCC and performance control (which an M Sport should) that why in the world is BMW charging $1300 for "active steering"? Way to go BMW, confuse the hell out of your customers

As I posted before... The M package does NOT come with DDC. The reason Dynamic Handling Package goes down to $1300 is because the M Package comes with Performance Control and so does the Dynamic Handling Package. The reason I am confused is that the M package does not come with the DDC and not with the sport suspension... What does it come with? Normal suspension?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 11:31 AM   #47
lhsa
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: kia

mako,

of course i was concerned my CA might just look to the website, so i confirmed in writing that he's not relying on the website and indeed contacted headquarters to confirm the information.

again, he knows i'm cancelling the order if he's wrong, so it makes little sense to lie, but you never know.

Quote:
Its sad when different CA at different dealerships all have different information!!! BMW really really needs to give their dealers the correct information and update them ASAP, and dealerships need to have daily sales meetings for 10 minutes with these guys to update them on stuff.

*So you probably have 1 sales guy going onto bmwusa.com and building it and seeing DDC is included so he reports that to his customer because he trusts the site and thinks its the most up to date...

*then you have another sales guy who looks at his order forms and sees its not included and figures that must be correct so he tells his customer that its an error on the site and is not included...

Both guys tell their customer that they are 100% sure on their facts, and probably even say they checked with BMW NA (which we know they didn't, they probably didn't even check with their SM, or if they did that guy is just as clueless).

these are supposed to be going into production this month, so hopefully in the next 3-4 weeks we will find out for sure when people get them, hopefully for anyone on this forum you have time before your order goes through or before you want to buy (like me). This could be a deal breaker for a lot of us (as far as getting the M package or not)
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 11:34 AM   #48
lhsa
Second Lieutenant
Rep

i don't know what you're basing this on. for now absolutely no once is certain one way or the other. the sport suspension delete is most likely because DDC is included and a fixed suspension is unnecessary.

Quote:
As I posted before... The M package does NOT come with DDC. The reason Dynamic Handling Package goes down to $1300 is because the M Package comes with Performance Control and so does the Dynamic Handling Package. The reason I am confused is that the M package does not come with the DDC and not with the sport suspension... What does it come with? Normal suspension?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 12:02 PM   #49
carlili4190
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhsa View Post
i don't know what you're basing this on. for now absolutely no once is certain one way or the other. the sport suspension delete is most likely because DDC is included and a fixed suspension is unnecessary.
Based off of this. The package options straight from the dealer. This is how they order the car, with this sheet.

Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 12:16 PM   #50
lhsa
Second Lieutenant
Rep

that's an old sheet distributed prior to April 1 and certainly not dispositive.

again, no one is certain at this point one way or the other, and any CA will tell you the order sheets can be wrong.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 12:22 PM   #51
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Quote:

again, no one is certain at this point one way or the other, and any CA will tell you the order sheets can be wrong.
I agree with Ihsa, that is an old, maybe outdated sheet, I have the same thing for Canada but it's not necessarily correct.
      04-08-2011, 02:53 PM   #52
Mako
Rep

Quote:

+1

and I was just looking at the X6 build your own, and noticed that they charge $1550 for active steering on that, now I know the higher the series the more they charge for the same options, but it makes you think that $1300 for just that option on bmwusa.com makes sense! and that with the performance control its $100 more. Especially since the only way to get DDC now is with the M Package. So those of you that ordered the base version with DHP (including DDC) got a bargain, you got DDC for free!

I am starting to think the bmwusa.com configurator is correct and this is how the cars are now being packaged starting with April production.

Active steering would be cool, but not worth $1300 to me (or $1550 on the X6), wish they included it in the M Sport package and made it $3500 in total.

Last edited by Mako; 04-08-2011 at 03:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 07:08 PM   #53
roders
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 3.0D MSport F25

MSport Package here in Australia does not come with DDC. You get MSport Suspension.
You have the option to "delete" that suspension and go back to standard suspension. Some people do not like the ride of the sports suspension, hence the option to delete.
DDC is optional, if you take the DDC option, Suspension is different again.....DDC is different to Sport Suspension.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 08:47 PM   #54
Mako
Rep

DDC is a confusing point right now because it doesn't mention this anywhere on bmwusa.com with options.

Last edited by Mako; 04-09-2011 at 08:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 10:57 AM   #55
Mako
Rep

Well I guess that answers that!

BMWUSA.com has UPDATED their site yet again, still no carbon black color BUT they have REMOVED Damping control feature from the list of specs in the M Package on the builder. I guess that just confirms Damping control is NOT included in this package.

Really makes it a tough $1750 upgrade now (really just getting: anthracite headliner, bigger wheels, colored bumpers, and shadowline trim, which isn't the basic version black trim too?) to me thats all worth maybe $1000, not $1750.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 12:11 PM   #56
carlili4190
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Well I guess that answers that!

BMWUSA.com has UPDATED their site yet again, still no carbon black color BUT they have REMOVED Damping control feature from the list of specs in the M Package on the builder. I guess that just confirms Damping control is NOT included in this package.

Really makes it a tough $1750 upgrade now (really just getting: anthracite headliner, bigger wheels, colored bumpers, and shadowline trim, which isn't the basic version black trim too?) to me thats all worth maybe $1000, not $1750.
Think of it this way. You are getting a completely new front and rear bumper. (If you did it yourself on any other car... You are looking anywhere from ~$300-$400 a bumper + paint. That is ~1200 from paint and parts alone in the front and rear bumper) You then are also looking at paint prices for the sideskirts+fender trim. Also look at BMW's MSRP on wheel prices! To me its more then worth the $1750.

Just my opinion though...

EDIT: Whoa... The dynamic handling package doesn't come with Dampening control either... BMWUSA needs to sort this out before I order a car...
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 12:18 PM   #57
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by colton_matthias View Post
are you sure.....???? cuz both canada and us sites say that it comes with standard suspension. It also says it includes standard suspension on the sheet BMW gave to the CA.... =S....
Nope. "Sports Suspension Delete" in the M package is because they provide the DDS to allow you to adjust it.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 12:26 PM   #58
Mako
Rep

Quote:
Think of it this way. You are getting a completely new front and rear bumper. (If you did it yourself on any other car... You are looking anywhere from ~$300-$400 a bumper + paint. That is ~1200 from paint and parts alone in the front and rear bumper) You then are also looking at paint prices for the sideskirts+fender trim. Also look at BMW's MSRP on wheel prices! To me its more then worth the $1750.
Well the 19" wheel upgrade when you get the sport package is $600, so why would the M cost more than that?

Also have you compared pictures of the M Sport bumpers and the regular ones? they aren't different, they are just colored the same as the body! All other M Sport models from BMW have significantly different bumpers except the X3, they look identical, its all just paint work, they removed the black part of the standard front bumper and painted part of the lower grills black instead of body color to make them appear larger, its the SAME bumper, the back is the same way, just reworked the paint to make them look different. To me thats not worth anything, maybe $100-$200 in paint cost to BMW...
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 12:58 PM   #59
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
The front and rear bumpers are totally different parts. While they may look like just the stock parts painted body color, they are a bit more.
Also, the 369M wheels are not available as an option, only as part of the M Pack, to distiguish it.
I personally love the M steering wheel.

It really all comes down to personal taste and what can/will make the final build list.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 01:47 PM   #60
colton_matthias
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
The front and rear bumpers are totally different parts. While they may look like just the stock parts painted body color, they are a bit more.
Also, the 369M wheels are not available as an option, only as part of the M Pack, to distiguish it.
I personally love the M steering wheel.

It really all comes down to personal taste and what can/will make the final build list.
Other than the fact that the M sport package's steering wheel is black instead of a chrome piece, is it any different? (thicker/smaller)??
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 02:10 PM   #61
carlili4190
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by colton_matthias View Post
Other than the fact that the M sport package's steering wheel is black instead of a chrome piece, is it any different? (thicker/smaller)??

Thicker
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 03:54 PM   #62
ManMachine
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E60 528

1. X3 (with or without the sport activity package) in the U.S. does not have a sport suspension to start with, so essentially all have the sport suspension delete (just to differentiate the sport activity package from models for other countries).

2. With the updated brochure - assuming that it is correct, then dynamic handling package is part of the M Sport package. However, it seems that BMWNA is just as confused as their CAs. The brochure lists the 19" performance tires as standard on the X335 sport activity package, while the M Sport for X335 get all season tires. Makes sense?
      04-12-2011, 07:46 PM   #63
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

M finishes on a non-M car just doesn't work for me. Screams "wannabe" and "cheap". Ya, I know there's currently no X3M, but there may well be shortly.