BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-04-2014, 10:31 AM   #1
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Do I want DHP / VDC

Being in the UK my current MSport has sport suspension, unlike the US spec vehicles. Only rarely do I feel I would want to switch to a softer setting.

Before I order a 35D I need to get my head around how DHP / VDC works. I can have normal and sport settings, that I understand.

I presume I could also have it in dynamic mode where it will sense bumps in the road and soften the rear shocks ready for the bump once the front has hit the bump.

If you drive hard around corners does the suspension harden to reduce roll? How smart is the setup?
      04-04-2014, 11:18 AM   #2
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

From my experience dynamic dampers or variable dampers or whatever you call em only adjusts the dampening (reactive) meaning there is no proactive adjustment (regardless what the sales literature states). There also is no improved corning ability between sport and normal.

I typically leave the dampers in normal mode even when the drivetrain is in sport mode.

It would be nice if BMW permitted the heavier steering feel, with sport mode and the normal damper setting but the heavier steering is tied to the firmer damper setting.
      04-04-2014, 02:26 PM   #3
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Interesting. I know many feel DHP is a no brainer but if I'm good with my sport suspension 95% of the time then the option seems a bit pointless....or am I missing something?
      04-04-2014, 02:30 PM   #4
tango131
Private
Rep
Drives: Boxster S; 2013 X3 28i

I say get it, best option for me. click on the link in my signature for more.

i do feel that even in the normal setting, the ride is very plush and comfortable,but automatically firms up on its own in hard cornering. in other words, it reacts to what the car is doing and firms things up accordingly. the sport setting keeps things harder all the time. well worth the $1,300 i paid for it, it's like having two cars in one. and having driven in the crappy London streets and country B roads (I was out there for work for 6 months last year), the additional "plushness" the comfort setting gives would be well worth it.

2010 Porsche Boxster S (Mine)
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 03:02 PM   #5
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by clivem2 View Post
Interesting. I know many feel DHP is a no brainer but if I'm good with my sport suspension 95% of the time then the option seems a bit pointless....or am I missing something?
My question is, what do you want from your suspension?

If you want a passive system with the consistency it gives whatever the road condition, (including its limitations) leave adaptive alone. But if you are after widening the suspension working envelope, refining the ride quality, while still keeping a good handling balance, then adaptive is worth consideration, plus you have the modes which widens your choice to "how do I want to drive today".

I drive on roads where a passive sport suspension would get tiring and be unsettled. (Too many compromises). The ability to run a softer setting and still have good damping control when working the suspension, is exactly what I want and appreciate.

The adaptive suspension is not simply a reactive system, (some functions are reactive) there are functions within the strategy which anticipate your actions, like assessing steering angle and brake intervention. The reaction is within milliseconds to a sensor input, so in a cornering manoeuvre for example, the outside dampers have stiffened up before you are really into the corner. OK, it won't be better than a sport damper already running a firmer damping characteristic, but you don't have to suffer that firmness while running on straight roads and can benefit from a more refined ride in that situation.

The modes don't simply work as a changed damping characteristic curve, as in a passive system, but have a characteristic map which translates to varied damping as we drive. "Softer where possible, firm when necessary", this applies to both modes, even if the base damping level is changed by the mode selection.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 03:06 PM   #6
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks Pete, this is what I was wanting to understand. It sounds useful.
      04-04-2014, 03:41 PM   #7
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by clivem2 View Post
Thanks Pete, this is what I was wanting to understand. It sounds useful.
I experimented with selective dampers (Koni FSD) in my E91 330d, so got the feel of what changing damping characteristics do to improve ride quality without losing the handling. In fact with my standard suspension I gained improved handling due to a firmer damping setting, at the same time as an improved ride. Far more mature car than the standard offering by BMW.

So when moving on, adaptive suspension was definitely on my test list. I was really impressed with the full Adaptive Drive package in the 5-series. Fast forward, and I'm enjoying Adaptive Drive in my 535i. It is far more advanced than VDC 1 in the X3, but then it is an expensive option. VDC 2 and ARS (active anti-roll bars) gives 3 base VDC settings, 2 ARS settings, makes for a very refined and flat drive in all modes. In fact AD is the best option in my car, does just as I want in my driving.

From reading, I sense not everyone sees the finer aspects of suspension tuning as having high priority, some simply saying the standard BMW suspensions are good enough. I've had other BMW users in my car saying "isn't it smooth". Had the same said of my 3-series, (once modified), I say no more.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 04:57 PM   #8
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

I must be driving in a comma then... I know the literature says the car does all this fancy stuff when equipped with the dynamic dampers but I've never noticed it... but then again that might be a good thing.

This is an extract from the website 'sales pitch':

Quote:
Dynamic Damper Control

Dynamic Damper Control uses data collected by sensors throughout the BMX X3: each second, it gathers thousands of readings about the position of the steering wheel, the strength of lateral forces, wheel rotation speeds and much more. The system calculates the best possible setting for each individual wheel and continually adjusts its suspension accordingly. The BMW X3 hugs the road through tight bends and still provides a comfortable, safe ride for all occupants.

Dynamic Driving Control is an available with the optional Dynamic Comfort Package or M Sport Package.
I would still get the option as is about the only value option BMW offers on the X3.
      04-05-2014, 09:18 AM   #9
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

It sounds like I should get VCP. In normal mode I'll get handling close to my MSport UK suspension but with better ride. I assume that in Sport mode it'll be just about the same as my current suspension with no dynamic aspect.
      04-05-2014, 03:32 PM   #10
oserx
Private First Class
Romania
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 / F30 3 Series LCI

i have VDC on my 2014 X3. It is wonderful. Very quiet suspension, really comfortable but stable on comfort mode. On sport mode you feel almost all road bumps, but also delivers a little comfort. It's something I won't regret a penny for. For this car I bought 6years warranty so I'll not be afraid about anything bad happening to any dumper.qui
Appreciate 0