BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-04-2012, 07:21 PM   #23
Larrylotus
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 xDrive35d (F15)

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=730718

Found this : BMW TSB: A.S.S. can be programmed to remember last setting...
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 07:29 PM   #24
midwest 340xi 6sp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant Man View Post
Then just turn it off.
I know, I know...BUT

On my M3, bmw was smart enough to have a little button on the dash. That little button keeps start/stop off or on until you push it again. Over-rides any default settings that kick-in when car is started and or turned-off.

Why would they steer away from such engineering brilliance?

Last edited by midwest 340xi 6sp; 09-04-2012 at 08:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 01:18 PM   #25
gferguson
Rep
Drives: X3

The start/stop function is about the only thing I have found that I don't like on my new X35. I try to remember to disable it every time I start the vehicle. I got a post from BMWCCA that said that the dealers can now disable it permanently. It may save some gas, but don't think it is worth the trade off in engine and other component wear. The manual even states that it may cause excessive wear to occur.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 01:28 PM   #26
denrusso
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 xDrive28i

I actually don't mind/notice it when I'm stopped and then engage the gas pedal and the engine turns on. In this workflow, with the radio on, I barely even notice it. However, if I am stopped at a long light, the engine will turn off, but after a period of time it will turn back on while I'm still stopped. It seems that this is a different type of engine turn on as the car will slightly vibrate and I will notice it. I'm not a fan of it in this instance.

Thanks,
dr
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 03:01 PM   #27
valeram
Major
Rep
Drives: 992 TTS, 991.2 GT3 T, F80 M3 C

I had my dealer coded the new settings for the Start/Stop button. Now, it will use the previous settings which I prefer.

On the side note. How much savings does it really have? I am sure that those frequent Start and Stop will be taxing for the Starter and the Battery. So the probability of earlier failure of the starter plus the depletion of the battery, not to mention the alternator, will surely increase. You can contend that it is more greener doing so but having more parts to replace will make it less green.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 03:47 PM   #28
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPoorchawa View Post
I also hate ASS! :|
Great ancronym - bardzo smieszne

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 06:48 AM   #29
wedge000
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturnZero View Post
Why? They've been doing this for a few years now in Europe, this isn't really a new feature. They're using heavy duty starter motors to make sure they don't just go bad. If there were major issues like this, surely they would have discovered them already and addressed them so they don't have to deal with a wave of warranty claims from it.

It depends on the temperature. The engine shuts off and the computer watches the temperature of the climate control, and when it detects that the air is no longer cold/hot enough to keep up with climate demand it turns the engine back on. I'm guessing when it's no longer summertime it will stay off for longer.
Cool, thanks. I have had the a/c blasting so that's probably it.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 07:47 AM   #30
Cropwell
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d msport xdrive

Really thought I would hate the auto stop start but after a while have got used to it. With the price of fuel in the UK every improvement in fuel economy helps.
You get to anticipate when it will stop and you can then override it by releasing the brake pedal slightly if the need requires.
Only problem I find is that when you pull up and then engine cuts out I apply the hand brake and put the auto box into park but forget to turn off the ignition only to be reminded by a warning light when I open the door!
This is also due to the interaction with the keyless ignition which I dislike.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 01:00 PM   #31
ReturnZero
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cropwell View Post
Really thought I would hate the auto stop start but after a while have got used to it. With the price of fuel in the UK every improvement in fuel economy helps.
You get to anticipate when it will stop and you can then override it by releasing the brake pedal slightly if the need requires.
Only problem I find is that when you pull up and then engine cuts out I apply the hand brake and put the auto box into park but forget to turn off the ignition only to be reminded by a warning light when I open the door!
This is also due to the interaction with the keyless ignition which I dislike.
The quick fix for this is instead of putting the car in park or setting the parking brake (but only if you're also using the auto hold, if you aren't then you still need to set the parking brake) just press the on/off button and it will do all of that for you. I've found myself in other vehicles (loaner cars, etc) and I shut the engine off without putting it in park because I'm so used to mine doing that for me.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 03:41 PM   #32
383vett
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i, 2012 X3 Xdrive35

[QUOTE=ReturnZero;12624909]Why? They've been doing this for a few years now in Europe, this isn't really a new feature. They're using heavy duty starter motors to make sure they don't just go bad. If there were major issues like this, surely they would have discovered them already and addressed them so they don't have to deal with a wave of warranty claims from it.QUOTE]

Tongue in cheek humor.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 07:45 PM   #33
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2022 X5 40i;

Garage List
Some people like spending our hard earned money on GAS. That's why we buy M5s and Chevy Suburbans.

You're not putting a dent in anything by auto start/stop, other than making a few hippies feel good about themselves. What are you going to save, $37 across 3 years? There are so many other things that pollute the world to worry about auto start/stop. Just shut it off, save your engine and your paranoia with the car dying from it.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 03:14 AM   #34
gareth3685
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2.0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAMidge View Post
You're not putting a dent in anything by auto start/stop, other than making a few hippies feel good about themselves. What are you going to save, $37 across 3 years? There are so many other things that pollute the world to worry about auto start/stop. Just shut it off, save your engine and your paranoia with the car dying from it.

+1

Last edited by gareth3685; 09-07-2012 at 03:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 04:52 AM   #35
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

I enjoy the sudden silence that it brings and observing whether passers by notice the engine isn't running at the traffic lights...

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0