BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-06-2012, 05:59 AM   #1
gareth3685
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2.0D

Carrying Bikes - Most Efficient Method

I'm just interested in people's thoughts on the most efficient ways of carrying bicycles on a car (aside from having them inside of course).

I used to have a roof mounted system in my previous cars and on the motorway it was like a huge spolier and noticably slowed the car down and increased consumption.

I used my towbar based system for the first time last weekend and must say I didn't notice it slowing the car down with the bikes hidden at the rear of the car however I understand that the rear part of a car does affect drag so I expect it would make some (albeit small) increases in consumption?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 07:09 AM   #2
faztaz
08 X3 6spd
Rep
Drives: 13 X3 35i MSport

I have mine mounted on a yakima 4 bike hitch rack. The rack can actually be extended away from the rear to allow for easy loading of items in the trunk. The only issue is that its heavy and probably does add drag. The best part is you never have to worry about accidentally scratching your roof while loading a bike and if someone rear ends you nothing happens to your car (already happened to me once in my old X3).
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 07:12 AM   #3
jsbos
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X3 28i

Honestly in my opinion the best way to transport bikes is on the roof. I've got the BMW cross bars and 2 bike attachments and can't feel any power loss. I keep it on the car either for the summer months only or when I need to carry bikes. On the roof there is no loss of visibility and they don't get in the way of the rear hatch.
I had a Land Rover in the past which allowed 2 bikes and lots of gear inside which was great. When I'm not using the rack especially in the winter months, I take it off the roof and store it.
Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 08:26 AM   #4
Cropwell
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d msport xdrive

Having tried various methods I believe that the best way to carry bikes is on a Thule rear mounted tow bar carrier. With this you do not get any of the drag/noise that you get with the roof carriers and do not risk any damage to the car that you get with the carriers which attach to the back of the car.
Unfortunately I do not have a tow bar on the X3 but have used the rear mounted carrier on my wifes Golf and this is very practical. The rack can be tilted down with the bikes attached to enable the rear hatch to be opened.
Have looked at carrying the bikes in the back of the car, the BMW internal bike carrier only only fits the previous X3 not the F25. Wonder whether the bikes could be secured in the rear using the boot lashing points ?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 08:38 AM   #5
gareth3685
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2.0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cropwell View Post
Having tried various methods I believe that the best way to carry bikes is on a Thule rear mounted tow bar carrier. With this you do not get any of the drag/noise that you get with the roof carriers and do not risk any damage to the car that you get with the carriers which attach to the back of the car.
Unfortunately I do not have a tow bar on the X3 but have used the rear mounted carrier on my wifes Golf and this is very practical. The rack can be tilted down with the bikes attached to enable the rear hatch to be opened.
Have looked at carrying the bikes in the back of the car, the BMW internal bike carrier only only fits the previous X3 not the F25. Wonder whether the bikes could be secured in the rear using the boot lashing points ?
BMW do sell a rear mounted bike rack that does not require a towbar but when I investigated further I found out that this option requires 4 hours labour to install so the towbar route made more sense.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 09:07 AM   #6
DonC
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 3.5i M sport, etc

I have the BMW tow hitch and the Thule Partway or Roadway 4 bike carrier. I like this set-up.
2018 i3S
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 09:34 PM   #7
thrasher-b
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 xDrive 35i

Garage List
2012 BMW X3 28i  [0.00]
I went with the Thule Aeroblade bars and they work great. No need for a fairing and the drag is hardly noticeable.

http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showth...4#post12295584
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 04:05 AM   #8
Polar_Bimmer
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 (F25) xDrive 28i

Once you put something on the roof (bike, kayak, box, ...), you break the aerodynamics of the vehicle so you increase fuel consumption and noise. It is a matter of physics and logic.

In addition, you can't enter the parking garages.
Appreciate 0