BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-11-2014, 10:52 PM   #23
valeram
Major
Rep
Drives: 992 TTS, 991.2 GT3 T, F80 M3 C

Porsche didn't hide their intentions when they brought the Macan to the market. They are after BMW, Benz, Audi and RR owners. But it also affected their own brand, the Cayenne.

I brush-off the Macan when it was announced last year. But further research and reading of reviews tilted me towards the Macan. I already placed an order for a Turbo before getting hold of a Macan S to test drive. It was an eye opener. The suspension and the response is really great.

It is true that the Macan S is the cheapest Porsche in its stable but just be careful with those boxes you checked. One thing for sure, I still prefer BMW electronics. BMW needs to step up and bring the X3/X4 M. This will make it exciting and more options for the consumers.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 06:51 AM   #24
PIEZON
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: In The Market For A New One

Quote:
Originally Posted by valeram
Porsche didn't hide their intentions when they brought the Macan to the market. They are after BMW, Benz, Audi and RR owners. But it also affected their own brand, the Cayenne.

I brush-off the Macan when it was announced last year. But further research and reading of reviews tilted me towards the Macan. I already placed an order for a Turbo before getting hold of a Macan S to test drive. It was an eye opener. The suspension and the response is really great.

It is true that the Macan S is the cheapest Porsche in its stable but just be careful with those boxes you checked. One thing for sure, I still prefer BMW electronics. BMW needs to step up and bring the X3/X4 M. This will make it exciting and more options for the consumers.
Well said! My sentiments! Enjoy!!!!!
      06-12-2014, 07:16 AM   #25
PIEZON
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

You are really going upstream with the turbo! That is awesome! Enjoy!! I'm most likely going for S. The one a spec is $70k. If I go with full leather, alcantra and SC I'm at about $76k high end. I could go with Turbo for about $82k with the equipment I want. A lot of the options I want on S are standard. I'm tempted to wait longer for the sport exhaust option that would add probably another $3k.
      06-12-2014, 07:22 AM   #26
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:

Agree- even an X3 equivalent of the M235i would be well received.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 07:56 AM   #27
valeram
Major
Rep
Drives: 992 TTS, 991.2 GT3 T, F80 M3 C

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIEZON View Post
You are really going upstream with the turbo! That is awesome! Enjoy!! I'm most likely going for S. The one a spec is $70k. If I go with full leather, alcantra and SC I'm at about $76k high end. I could go with Turbo for about $82k with the equipment I want. A lot of the options I want on S are standard. I'm tempted to wait longer for the sport exhaust option that would add probably another $3k.
You won't go wrong with the S. Partial leather, standard in Turbo, is already good enough for me unless you want the red leather that is only available with full leather. No pano for me since I got a lot of problems with X3 pano roofing. The alcantara roof lining is a class in itself.

Waiting, if you can, is the best move. I am getting a lot of first year production teething problems. Their production scheduling is a mess. Porsche can also change standard/option packages without the future owner's knowledge. They deleted the illuminated visor mirrors from the standard and moved it as an option in my build. My wife discovered the missing light after a week. Problem with leaking rear window washer fluid.

There are also some tidbits info about a Macan GTS that will be released in a year or two. So it will seat between the S and the Turbo. And maybe by that time, X3/X4 M are also available.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 07:00 PM   #28
PIEZON
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
You won't go wrong with the S. Partial leather, standard in Turbo, is already good enough for me unless you want the red leather that is only available with full leather. No pano for me since I got a lot of problems with X3 pano roofing. The alcantara roof lining is a class in itself.

Waiting, if you can, is the best move. I am getting a lot of first year production teething problems. Their production scheduling is a mess. Porsche can also change standard/option packages without the future owner's knowledge. They deleted the illuminated visor mirrors from the standard and moved it as an option in my build. My wife discovered the missing light after a week. Problem with leaking rear window washer fluid.

There are also some tidbits info about a Macan GTS that will be released in a year or two. So it will seat between the S and the Turbo. And maybe by that time, X3/X4 M are also available.
Nice!!!
      06-12-2014, 07:03 PM   #29
PIEZON
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I was thinking of no pano too if I went Turbo. Has a lot of great std options!
      06-13-2014, 12:17 AM   #30
Toast
Private
Rep
Drives: X3.5m, A4 Avant

Have you thought about adding a Burger tune and dual exhaust to an X3?
Tune easily gives you an extra 30 hp which and dual exhaust is an easy mod.
      06-13-2014, 06:25 AM   #31
PIEZON
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast
Have you thought about adding a Burger tune and dual exhaust to an X3?
Tune easily gives you an extra 30 hp which and dual exhaust is an easy mod.
Yes have thought about it. Concerned about warranty void and finding a good installer.
      06-15-2014, 09:30 AM   #32
335xs2dinan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335xi, 22 G80 M3

lol @ concerned about a warranty but throwing around $85k for a new car instead.

macan is a great car and im sure you will love it but the rationalization that we do sometimes for our cars is comical and im guilty of it at times as well...

Quote:
Yes have thought about it. Concerned about warranty void and finding a good installer.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 11:01 AM   #33
Mingstar88
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i

macan will sell like hot cakes...we see so manny cayennes on the road here, most would definite downsize to macan. the only thing i dislike i the dashboard.. so many damn keys like the audis
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 11:04 AM   #34
PIEZON
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335xs2dinan
lol @ concerned about a warranty but throwing around $85k for a new car instead.

macan is a great car and im sure you will love it but the rationalization that we do sometimes for our cars is comical and im guilty of it at times as well...

Quote:
Well said! You are lucky you have a Dinan tune! I think if I had a tune is stay with it. I am thinking about Burger tune.
      06-24-2014, 06:46 AM   #35
PIEZON
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Wow! I am excited about this! I put a lot of thought into this. Struggled between Turbo and S but went with the S. MSRP $73,125. Pretty nicely loaded. Still about $10k away from Turbo so I did not want to go to that level. Dealer gave me $2k off MSRP so it was very appealing. Leaving my BMW X3 35i M-sport. IMHO in this class the Macan rules. The S gives me more performance than I have now. Fills many voids that I have had with X3 and there is nothing to speak of on the horizon that will compete with the Macan from BMW. Not even any performance upgrades that are appealing.
      06-24-2014, 02:52 PM   #36
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIEZON
My lease will be up in about 6 months and I am exploring options. I love my X3 35i just wish it was more spirited in terms of HP. Also wish it was little more aggressive with dual exhaust. I recently spec'd a Macan S for about $70k it has all of the great features that I have grown accustomed to. 20" all season tires, dual exhaust, etc. Two things I found lacking, one was no run flats. OK was able to live without. Then it came down to HUD. I really have grown to love this feature. The salesperson tells me that no Porsche has this they don't want to go in that direction. I would love an X3 M but that does not seem to be happening any time soon. The size of the X3 and Macan are really perfect. Not sure if I am staying with BMW brand or trying Porsche for the first time. I have never driven the Macan, only videos - looks and sounds awesome. Either choice will have me wanting options. Macan no HUD, X3 no dual exhaust or higher HP. I would love to hear additional experiences or insights.
I'm likely doing a Macan S for about $72k and couldn't be happier about getting rid of my X3. My other two cars don't have an HUD and I'm perfectly ok with that.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 05:59 PM   #37
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Wow! I am excited about this! I put a lot of thought into this. Struggled between Turbo and S but went with the S. MSRP $73,125. Pretty nicely loaded. Still about $10k away from Turbo so I did not want to go to that level. Dealer gave me $2k off MSRP so it was very appealing. Leaving my BMW X3 35i M-sport. IMHO in this class the Macan rules. The S gives me more performance than I have now. Fills many voids that I have had with X3 and there is nothing to speak of on the horizon that will compete with the Macan from BMW. Not even any performance upgrades that are appealing.
Congrats- when does it arrive?

Interesting to see folks considering the Macan in the same class as a well-equipped X3 considering the ~$15k diff at similar equipment levels.

I feel like the X3 35i M Sport comparable in the VAG family is the SQ5, which tops out at ~$60k.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 07:32 PM   #38
PIEZON
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive35i View Post
I'm likely doing a Macan S for about $72k and couldn't be happier about getting rid of my X3. My other two cars don't have an HUD and I'm perfectly ok with that.
Yes I am accepting no HUD, Google Maps, Run Flats and Top View. But feel like I am gaining more. Having a little hard time getting away from the brand but making strides every day.
      06-24-2014, 07:35 PM   #39
PIEZON
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by riM3 View Post
Congrats- when does it arrive?

Interesting to see folks considering the Macan in the same class as a well-equipped X3 considering the ~$15k diff at similar equipment levels.

I feel like the X3 35i M Sport comparable in the VAG family is the SQ5, which tops out at ~$60k.
I am expecting by 9/12. They said most likely end of August best case scenario. Yes it seems like the Macan S that I spec'd is about $12k from a loaded X3. X3 is a great vehicle IMHO. Just leaves me wanting. If Dinan had some performance mods that would be under warranty I would stay. I called them and he said they have not even considered X3. No time frame nothing. All focus is on M's, etc.
      06-24-2014, 10:09 PM   #40
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

I'm envious. Congrats.
Quote:
I am expecting by 9/12. They said most likely end of August best case scenario. Yes it seems like the Macan S that I spec'd is about $12k from a loaded X3. X3 is a great vehicle IMHO. Just leaves me wanting. If Dinan had some performance mods that would be under warranty I would stay. I called them and he said they have not even considered X3. No time frame nothing. All focus is on M's, etc.
      06-24-2014, 10:52 PM   #41
335xs2dinan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335xi, 22 G80 M3

great choice, congrats and enjoy your new ride!

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 03:49 AM   #42
Broch
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35d M-Sport

Do you guys not get the ALPINA X3D?
Think that will be my next car
      06-25-2014, 07:17 AM   #43
PIEZON
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh
I'm envious. Congrats.
Quote:
Thank you very much!
      06-25-2014, 07:19 AM   #44
PIEZON
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broch
Do you guys not get the ALPINA X3D?
Think that will be my next car
Where can you get it?