BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-28-2014, 08:34 PM   #1
PIEZON
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: In The Market For A New One

Ditch Macan S because it does not have HUD like my 35i?

My lease will be up in about 6 months and I am exploring options. I love my X3 35i just wish it was more spirited in terms of HP. Also wish it was little more aggressive with dual exhaust. I recently spec'd a Macan S for about $70k it has all of the great features that I have grown accustomed to. 20" all season tires, dual exhaust, etc. Two things I found lacking, one was no run flats. OK was able to live without. Then it came down to HUD. I really have grown to love this feature. The salesperson tells me that no Porsche has this they don't want to go in that direction. I would love an X3 M but that does not seem to be happening any time soon. The size of the X3 and Macan are really perfect. Not sure if I am staying with BMW brand or trying Porsche for the first time. I have never driven the Macan, only videos - looks and sounds awesome. Either choice will have me wanting options. Macan no HUD, X3 no dual exhaust or higher HP. I would love to hear additional experiences or insights.
      03-01-2014, 06:58 AM   #2
vrrooom
SES
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: 335ix'09,X3'11&911TCab

Garage List
2009 335ix  [0.00]
1987 Turbo Cab  [0.00]
2011 X3 3.5  [0.00]
Macan vs X3

I spent some time in a Macan at the Detroit Auto Show, amazing interior, lots of performance related options. One has to seriously consider the Macan and Audi SQ5, as alternatives to the X3. The only minus I saw to these alternatives is the space behind the back seats seems a foot less than the X3. Going to be a long hot summer for porsche, but there should be great deals on the X3 lci.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 08:11 AM   #3
PIEZON
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrrooom
I spent some time in a Macan at the Detroit Auto Show, amazing interior, lots of performance related options. One has to seriously consider the Macan and Audi SQ5, as alternatives to the X3. The only minus I saw to these alternatives is the space behind the back seats seems a foot less than the X3. Going to be a long hot summer for porsche, but there should be great deals on the X3 lci.
Thank you for the insight. I'm assuming it drives as awesome as it looks?
      03-01-2014, 11:05 AM   #4
gregwym
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive28i 2014

Is it possible to extend a lease if the LCI or new generation is coming and you really want to order one before its open to order?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 11:10 AM   #5
PIEZON
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregwym
Is it possible to extend a lease if the LCI or new generation is coming and you really want to order one before its open to order?
I think BMW will give you a month or two if you are working into a new BMW lease.
      03-01-2014, 11:29 AM   #6
gregwym
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive28i 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIEZON View Post
I think BMW will give you a month or two if you are working into a new BMW lease.
Em... Really thinking about getting the next generation when my current lease ends. I just got mine in Jan for 3 years lease.

Premium + Nav Pack | Bluetooth Audio Streaming | Video in Motion | Auto Mirror Fold/Unfold | Auto Door Unlock | Flashing Emergency Brake Light | Close Trunk w/ Button & Key Fob | Digital Speedometer | 30L/100km Fuel Meter | Gear Indicator in DS mode | M Starting Screen
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 12:03 PM   #7
PIEZON
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregwym
Quote:
Originally Posted by PIEZON View Post
Em... Really thinking about getting the next generation when my current lease ends. I just got mine in Jan for 3 years lease.
It does look nice and new features. Wish they would give it more power.
      03-03-2014, 10:09 AM   #8
vrrooom
SES
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: 335ix'09,X3'11&911TCab

Garage List
2009 335ix  [0.00]
1987 Turbo Cab  [0.00]
2011 X3 3.5  [0.00]
Macan comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIEZON
Quote:
This weeks auto car has a full Macan turbo drive where they compare it favorably to the caymans handling and performance, wo ho!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 10:38 AM   #9
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

The Macan is a much more 'premium' car than the X3 without giving anything up in performance.
      03-03-2014, 06:41 PM   #10
PIEZON
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PIEZON
Quote:
This weeks auto car has a full Macan turbo drive where they compare it favorably to the caymans handling and performance, wo ho!
Nice! Thanks for heads up!
      03-03-2014, 06:41 PM   #11
PIEZON
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh
The Macan is a much more 'premium' car than the X3 without giving anything up in performance.
Well said!
      06-11-2014, 02:50 PM   #12
valeram
Major
Rep
Drives: 992 TTS, 991.2 GT3 T, F80 M3 C

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrrooom View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh View Post
It sure is with a big price difference. Just traded my 2013 X3 35i M-Sports for the Macan Turbo. The interior is more luxurious but I didn't really like all those buttons. I still prefer the i-Drive. But from what I read, "the Porsche can get away with it". Performance is way better and drives like a car. You seat lower than an X3. The engine performance is linear comparable to a NA engine. I am sure that the X3M (if it comes) will compete with the Macan.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 02:56 PM   #13
PIEZON
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I test drove Macan S and it is far superior to X3. I love X3 but ever void it gives me the Macan fills nicely!
      06-11-2014, 05:14 PM   #14
mspringer
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i M-Sport/DHP

Garage List
2021 BMW X3 M40i  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
I have an X3 35i coming off lease next month and have cross shopped the Macan S (not Turbo) driving it 3 times. All 3 cars have had the steel spring suspension without PASM. Major differences from the X3:

1) suspension is much better tied down. Doesn't have any of the float and pogo effect I feel in the X3 on undulating surfaces while providing a ride which is as smooth or smoother. While no 911, it corners flatter and tighter than the X3, the differences in feel become greater the harder the cars are pushed.

2) Interior has a more premium feel. But I actually like the infotainment interface in the X3 better (not a fan of touch screens in a car). The X3 feels more open and airier (probably due to the the large console in the Macan.

3) I'd always thought the 8-speed transmission in the X3 was great, but the PDK is still better, faster shifting and smoother, didn't detect any confusion in which gear its starting off in, and no throttle response delays.

4) As I said, I drove the Macan S, and in a straight line thought the X3 was at least as fast, perhaps faster.

4) No run flats, and with 19 inch wheels tires are 55 series up front, 50s in the rear. That combination is going to be more pothole proof and is probably at least partly responsible for the better ride/handling characteristics of the Macan. For the me the lack of run flats and the presence of a spare (even though its a collapsed spare) is a huge plus.

5) Cargo space behind the rear seats reduced by a 1/3 due to the sloped rear deck.

6) Price: depending on option choices a Macan is going to have an MSRP 5-10K higher than an X3, Differences is selling cost will be higher since a Macans are going for MSRP while X3s can be had for invoice or below.

So which would I pick:

If cargo space isn't an issue:
vs SQ5 - Macan hands down

vs X3 - harder call depends how price sensitive one is. The Macan is a better ride but I'm not sure its that much better.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 05:25 PM   #15
midwest 340xi 6sp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspringer View Post
I have an X3 35i coming off lease next month and have cross shopped the Macan S (not Turbo) driving it 3 times. All 3 cars have had the steel spring suspension without PASM. Major differences from the X3:

1) suspension is much better tied down. Doesn't have any of the float and pogo effect I feel in the X3 on undulating surfaces while providing a ride which is as smooth or smoother. While no 911, it corners flatter and tighter than the X3, the differences in feel become greater the harder the cars are pushed.

2) Interior has a more premium feel. But I actually like the infotainment interface in the X3 better (not a fan of touch screens in a car). The X3 feels more open and airier (probably due to the the large console in the Macan.

3) I'd always thought the 8-speed transmission in the X3 was great, but the PDK is still better, faster shifting and smoother, didn't detect any confusion in which gear its starting off in, and no throttle response delays.

4) As I said, I drove the Macan S, and in a straight line thought the X3 was at least as fast, perhaps faster.

4) No run flats, and with 19 inch wheels tires are 55 series up front, 50s in the rear. That combination is going to be more pothole proof and is probably at least partly responsible for the better ride/handling characteristics of the Macan. For the me the lack of run flats and the presence of a spare (even though its a collapsed spare) is a huge plus.

5) Cargo space behind the rear seats reduced by a 1/3 due to the sloped rear deck.

6) Price: depending on option choices a Macan is going to have an MSRP 5-10K higher than an X3, Differences is selling cost will be higher since a Macans are going for MSRP while X3s can be had for invoice or below.

So which would I pick:

vs X3 - harder call depends how price sensitive one is. The Macan is a better ride but I'm not sure its that much better.

I drove the Macan as well and agree with your assessment 100%...I will say I do not like all the buttons in the Porsche but I am nitpicking...

IMO the Porsche is the much superior driving vehicle to the X3. That said, you pay a stiff premium for that uptick in driving experience.

And true to their reputation, Porsche makes it very easy to tick a bunch of options on their mind-blowing list.

If $ is no object? I would go Porsche.

If you're into leasing, the Porsche is not competitive at all. I spec'ed a relatively modest Macan and was looking at a $950/mos lease with $5k cap cost..

Ouchie mamma...
      06-11-2014, 06:37 PM   #16
PIEZON
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

The Macan gives me one thing I've yearned for in the X3 - dual exhausts! Even Kias have dual exhausts!!!!
      06-11-2014, 06:41 PM   #17
PIEZON
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by valeram
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrrooom View Post
Quote:
It sure is with a big price difference. Just traded my 2013 X3 35i M-Sports for the Macan Turbo. The interior is more luxurious but I didn't really like all those buttons. I still prefer the i-Drive. But from what I read, "the Porsche can get away with it". Performance is way better and drives like a car. You seat lower than an X3. The engine performance is linear comparable to a NA engine. I am sure that the X3M (if it comes) will compete with the Macan.
Turbo is serious! Congrats!
      06-11-2014, 06:44 PM   #18
PIEZON
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspringer

So which would I pick:

Let us know what you decide!
      06-11-2014, 06:46 PM   #19
Oslermarine
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 35i M-sport X3

The Macan S is certainly good looking and probably much more rare on the street compared with the x3. Which one do you think is better looking? I see the Macan S has 340 hp compared with the 300 in the 35i x3 but is much speed given up on the 0-60? Porsche has it at 5.2 compared with what for the x3? 5.6?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 06:48 PM   #20
PIEZON
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oslermarine
The Macan S is certainly good looking and probably much more rare on the street compared with the x3. Which one do you think is better looking? I see the Macan S has 340 hp compared with the 300 in the 35i x3 but is much speed given up on the 0-60? Porsche has it at 5.2 compared with what for the x3? 5.6?
If you go with sport chronos it's 5.0
      06-11-2014, 08:39 PM   #21
Coreyn
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X-3 35i

Garage List
2014 BMW X-3  [0.00]
2014 BMW X-3  [0.00]
Never knew the Macan existed until I saw this posting on the forums. Car is definitely a step up but the lease is about 325 more a month than I pay currently then my current 2014 X-3 3.5i. Will stick with my X-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oslermarine View Post
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 08:59 PM   #22
ghostdog1108
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 X4 M40i CARBON BLACK

Quote:
Which, of course, you pay for...,