BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-01-2013, 09:42 AM   #1
Paulus
Poland
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 20d

X3 F25 and Gladen One 201 speakers

I am very happy with the car, the only thing that bothers me is a weak base audio system. In Europe, the "base" means a set without an amplifier with 6 speakers (4 in front and rear doors, no tweeters, two under the seats). I'm thinking of changing the factory speakers in doors on Gladen ONE 201. And here I have a few questions:

1. Does anyone on the forum have these speakers, if so, what is the opinion of them?

2. Replacing the speakers without install additional amplifier will improve the sound quality?

3. Is it possible to use an existing installation without replacing cables? Gladen One 201 speakers have impedance 3 ohms.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2013, 02:51 PM   #2
plymjack
Nuclear Chief of the Watch
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25) 2.0D, i3 BEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulus View Post
I am very happy with the car, the only thing that bothers me is a weak base audio system. In Europe, the "base" means a set without an amplifier with 6 speakers (4 in front and rear doors, no tweeters, two under the seats). I'm thinking of changing the factory speakers in doors on Gladen ONE 201. And here I have a few questions:

1. Does anyone on the forum have these speakers, if so, what is the opinion of them?

2. Replacing the speakers without install additional amplifier will improve the sound quality?

3. Is it possible to use an existing installation without replacing cables? Gladen One 201 speakers have impedance 3 ohms.
Would be keen to see what replies come up for this. The base system is "ok" but would love to wind it up a bit to something a bit better without spending another £1000.
Sony QX10 & GoPro Hero 3
Appreciate 1
      09-01-2013, 03:42 PM   #3
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

1. Can't answer, have not used them.
2. The answer is general terms is; yes. Will it improve SQ? Probably yes; but speakers that are very accurate will actually be more revealing of bad amplification. Maybe call Galen and ask. If needed, many after market amps have speaker level inputs that could be installed quite easily.
3. Yes you can use your existing wires. I've read that BMW speakers can be 2 or 4 ohm impedance. Three ohms probably won't bother the amplification. Remember impedance in a speaker is not straight but varies in response to the input signal. I would be more concerned with the speaker's efficiency(SPL) compared to the stock speakers.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2013, 08:52 PM   #4
Cobb2819
Some Random Audio Guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1981 R80GS/PD

You will run into a problem using this Gladen system with your Base radio. Based on the research I've done, you don't have an amp, except the 4 channels in the head unit. The front output of the radio goes to the underseat and then from there to the front doors. The Gladen speakers require a 4 channel amplifier or the factory HiFi amp which have separate feeds for the underseat and doors.

I have used the speakers and found them to be quite an amazing option.

http://www.highdesertme.com/?p=1305

Last edited by Cobb2819; 09-01-2013 at 08:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2013, 11:47 PM   #5
goyoyl
Rep
Drives: X3

You might want to check out what I did.

I used Focals..

http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=876437
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2013, 01:28 AM   #6
Paulus
Poland
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 20d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb2819 View Post
You will run into a problem using this Gladen system with your Base radio. Based on the research I've done, you don't have an amp, except the 4 channels in the head unit. The front output of the radio goes to the underseat and then from there to the front doors. The Gladen speakers require a 4 channel amplifier or the factory HiFi amp which have separate feeds for the underseat and doors.

I have used the speakers and found them to be quite an amazing option.
Thank you for your help! It seems that this is not as easy as I thought. To change the cables and add an amplifier I have to wait for the end of the warranty.
Appreciate 0