BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-24-2011, 03:33 AM   #111
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razel View Post
Like you, I believe all-season tires are more than adequate for winter driving. Getting winter/snow tires is just tossing money aside. Besides, it's much easier to carry chains. (Getting others to see outside the box can be an exercise in futility.)
It is perhaps futile for some but I hope some people find the debate and the information useful and make informed decisions. It's good to have both sides of the argument represented, albeit one side wholly qualitatively.

To be honest I don't know that much about all seasons, I just think that winters (or perhaps all seasons) are only necessary if you see frequent snow in the winter, not 1-2 days in a year and a week or two of freezing temperatures like we get here.

If you want to make a significant impact on your stopping distance simply replace your tyres more regularly and drive conservatively when the conditions are adverse. Both actions have a much greater effect in non-icy/non-snowy conditions, e.g. the 7C myth

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 10:56 AM   #112
gmazet
Captain
Rep
Drives: Broken 2020 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmazet View Post
these look pretty good with the centers..
we had snow about a week ago.. these tires were awesome on pretty bad roads.. didn't get a lot, prob 3 inches, but the roads were pretty much uncleared so packed snow/slush.. very confidence inspiring!
Past: 2008 E92tt 6MT, 2001 E46 6MT 2009 Z06 1997 Camaro SS 6MT
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2012, 10:07 PM   #113
Razel
Rider and driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

Will be interesting to see how folks in the UK fair after the storm this weekend.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16883674

I work for Keyser Söze
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 06:11 AM   #114
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razel View Post
Will be interesting to see how folks in the UK fair after the storm this weekend.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16883674
You would not believe the hysteria whipped up in the media each time it snows here. This is the sum total of the snow where I am and it's thawing fast as even tonight temperatures won't drop below zero here so most of this will be gone by tomorrow.

Further north it might be more of an issue and Kent usually get some more. It's not cold enough here for ice to be an issue but will be taking the X3 and her winter shoes out this afternoon for the first snow of the winter

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 06:44 AM   #115
fedinand
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3, '11 GTI

Wow thats it? - I thought you were all frozen and covered in all kinds of snow, and we wouldn't see you until the thaw!
      02-05-2012, 06:47 AM   #116
DJ Daddy-O
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMX X3 F25 2011

We have had more snow in the north of England. Moving from a rear wheel drive Mercedes pretty much everything was going to be better in the snow.

Just how much though is amazing. Travelled about 30 miles on the motorway and 3 miles on minor roads yesterday evening and had no problems at all. X drive coped perfectly (I don't have winter tyres). Some cars were struggling and a chap who was simply going too fast spun and hit the central reservation.

All in all very happy with performance in snow. Want more snow now.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 07:22 AM   #117
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Daddy-O View Post
All in all very happy with performance in snow. Want more snow now.
+1 more snow please

Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 02:17 PM   #118
Razel
Rider and driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
You would not believe the hysteria whipped up in the media each time it snows here. This is the sum total of the snow where I am and it's thawing fast as even tonight temperatures won't drop below zero here so most of this will be gone by tomorrow.

Further north it might be more of an issue and Kent usually get some more. It's not cold enough here for ice to be an issue but will be taking the X3 and her winter shoes out this afternoon for the first snow of the winter
Ya might want to make that photo your sig photo until Spring arrives.

I work for Keyser Söze
Appreciate 0