BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-18-2014, 03:38 PM   #1
buze
Owner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 30d M-Sport

Garage List
X3 with extra high sitting position

I had flagged problems with my clutch a couple of times, and they never 'found anything', despite it being pretty obvious. Basically the pedal not coming back properly to it's original position, and it being a bit 'clicky' sometimes.
I also had the case where I did a few motoway mines with the clutch partially engaged, leading to a 'clutch overheating' warning...

Anyway, this week-end, the car wouldn't start at all, the clutch is now more or less stuck in a middle position, and the engine won't start because of that. All of that in the middle of nowhere, 200 miles from the garage of course.

I suppose it'll be a new pedal box, or/and a new clutch... So much for me buying the legendary german reliability. My old Renault Scenic did 133k without any major issues like that.

08-18-2014, 04:08 PM   #2
///Mposter
Macgyver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

They (BMW) need to get rid of the clutch delay valve . Anyone who buys a stick shift should already know how to smoothly engage the clutch. If you get a chance after they replace the other components , see if you could find an independent shop that can remove the CDV. It will make your second clutch last as long as your other cars.
      08-18-2014, 04:41 PM   #3
buze
Owner
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
I've read about that CDV -- pretty much since day one when I realised I couldn't do a 'clean' slow start with that car. It would pretty much systematically stutter from a stop, unless I rev the engine some (on a diesel!). Some explanations were that the engine has too much torque for the manual gearbox... Or that I needed the clutch to bed in (after 27k miles, errr)

But I haven't found any clear evidence or how to remove the CDV from the f25. There's loads of stuff on loads of other models, but nothing on the f25 :/

I picked the manual transmission because I fear I'd get bored with the auto one.. I love my driving, and often take the A roads and not the motorway so have the time to enjoy the driving. Well, I'm definitely not bored... :/
      08-18-2014, 05:33 PM   #4
ianfp
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40D M Sport

Sorry to hear about your clutch troubles! When my car was in for its I drive screen replacement, BMW loaned me a F31. It was a nice car, but the clutch was very difficult to master. It was so easy to stall the car, I'm sure it would have driven me nuts before too long!

Your car looks great even on the back of the truck!

Last edited by ianfp; 08-18-2014 at 05:35 PM.. Reason: Added words
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 04:08 PM   #5
buze
Owner
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Thanks ianfp :-) seems it always has some sort of trouble after I wash & wax it somehow; might leave it all dirty next time :-)

I got the car back, they changed the pedal box, and it's all working. The "bitting point" is considerably higher than it was before, it will take a bit of adjusting on my part, but, it no longer stutters when doing slow start..

The CC told me they had another X3 with the same problem recently, and they they had a note from BMW about it, wich they didn't have when I first reported the problem...

Not sure I believe that but hey, it wasnt too much of a problem, lets hope it's the last I hear of the CC for a while now!
      09-12-2014, 05:11 AM   #6
m_alnimah
Lieutenant
Qatar
Rep
Drives: 2016 Mini Cooper S 5 Door

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [10.00]
Well i'm sorry to say this but THATS WHY we recommend the 8spd Auto
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2014, 12:00 PM   #7
Rodion
First Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25)

How much you had on the clock when this happened?

At the first service of my car they replaced the clutch pedal as I complaint it being noisy (yes, it made some cracking noises time to time). They said that they replaced the whole pedal because of some spring was gone... That was 33 000 km on the clock back then.

Now the clutch bites in a bit higher and it takes more power from your leg to press the pedal down.

Compared to our current 2nd car, New Beetle 1.2TSI manual, the difference is big. After driving around with X3 and getting back into the Beetle the clutch feels limb as a dead fish.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2014, 04:01 PM   #8
///Mposter
Macgyver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

Glad you got your car fixed and it's running correctly.
      09-14-2014, 09:04 AM   #9
buze
Owner
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
It roughtly had the same mileage as you @Rodion. And yes, the new pedal bite is higher that it used to be, but I'm getting used to it now... I /still/ need to apply power then release the clutch when doing a slow start, and that still feels wierd on a diesel!
      07-30-2015, 03:28 AM   #10
buze
Owner
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
As a bit of news on this; I've put my car today for it's second service, and they decided to change the clutch pedal (again) -- seems that BMW has decided that it was a design problem after all, and they are installing a new one for free...

Just in case any of you guys want a new pedal :-)

The one they had installed as replacement worked a lot better, but it was never as /smooth/ as on other cars, still does a bit of shuddering most of the time when starting in 1st.