BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-28-2013, 02:31 AM   #1
4u2nv
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i M-Sport

Clicking noise from steering colum

Hi, all. I was wondering if anyone else has noticed a clicking/tapping noise coming from the steering column of the new X3 (only apparent when turning the wheel). I bought one recently (for the wife) and noticed it after a few days driving. Booked it in with the dealership and they just mugged me off they said that if there was no real fault they would sting me for £395+ VAT. I'm just wondering if it’s me being paranoid but now I listen out for it all the time and it's driving me loopy. I don't want to get mugged off again and I know I can insist on them looking at it however the sting is a major one and the cars not even a year old yet.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 06:06 AM   #2
cooldude00
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x3 2.0d

why would they be charging you if it's under warranty?

i did have a steering column issue but it was more grinding than clicking/tapping - the dealer basically just greased it which made the noise go away... all under warranty of cos
      03-28-2013, 06:34 AM   #3
4u2nv
Enlisted Member
Rep

I'm assuming that the reason for the charge is becuase they think I'm wasting time. Pitty they didn't think that when it came to handing over my cash. Growing very tired of my local dealership especially there service department. Will call them and tell them to look into this.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 07:30 AM   #4
ozX3bimmer
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 2.0d

Sorry a side or dumb question here, can you/we go to a service department at a different dealer than the one we purchased the car from, and still have them to look at or fix the problem for free (given the car is still under warranty)?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 01:08 PM   #5
B3412
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozX3bimmer
Sorry a side or dumb question here, can you/we go to a service department at a different dealer than the one we purchased the car from, and still have them to look at or fix the problem for free (given the car is still under warranty)?
You can take your vehicle to another dealer. I complained to BMWNA about a wind noise problem that I had coming from the driver side of my vehicle that the dealer couldn't fix. BMWNA recommended for me to try another dealer that I didn't purchase my vehicle from to fix the problem.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 04:24 PM   #6
ozX3bimmer
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by B3412 View Post
You can take your vehicle to another dealer. I complained to BMWNA about a wind noise problem that I had coming from the driver side of my vehicle that the dealer couldn't fix. BMWNA recommended for me to try another dealer that I didn't purchase my vehicle from to fix the problem.
That's great, glad to know this is ok. At the end, Did you have the wind noise fixed at the another dealer? Did the other dealer's service department appreciate you came to them (knowing you didn't buy from them)?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 09:23 PM   #7
B3412
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozX3bimmer
Quote:
That's great, glad to know this is ok. At the end, Did you have the wind noise fixed at the another dealer? Did the other dealer's service department appreciate you came to them (knowing you didn't buy from them)?
I got the wind noise fixed and the service depart didn't care at all but the salesman that I was dealing with was mad. I didn't care if he was mad because I saved 4 thousand for driving an hour to the other dealership.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 02:29 AM   #8
ozX3bimmer
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I got the wind noise fixed and the service depart didn't care at all but the salesman that I was dealing with was mad. I didn't care if he was mad because I saved 4 thousand for driving an hour to the other dealership.
Cool, glad to hear that and totally worth it!!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 05:22 AM   #9
UKMS
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4u2nv View Post
I'm assuming that the reason for the charge is becuase they think I'm wasting time. Pitty they didn't think that when it came to handing over my cash. Growing very tired of my local dealership especially there service department. Will call them and tell them to look into this.
Certainly in the UK you are free to take it to any BMW dealership, anything that they say cant be fixed is always worth a second opinion at another dealership. All dealers have a Master Technician and I have always found them to be very helpful and will spend time with you if you have an issue that cant be resolved first time round. I have frequently found the service advisors (aka reception) to be the ones that on occasions BS or try to fob you off. This is not unique to BMW !

MS
      03-29-2013, 06:35 AM   #10
ozbmwx3
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: bmw x3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukstevens View Post
Certainly in the UK you are free to take it to any BMW dealership, anything that they say cant be fixed is always worth a second opinion at another dealership. All dealers have a Master Technician and I have always found them to be very helpful and will spend time with you if you have an issue that cant be resolved first time round. I have frequently found the service advisors (aka reception) to be the ones that on occasions BS or try to fob you off. This is not unique to BMW !

MS
So true about the dudes at reception. It's often the techs at the coal face that really care (and want to dig deeper to resolve a problem). They are the same guys who go and start up their own service business. Good on them.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 08:06 AM   #11
4u2nv
Enlisted Member
Rep

I think a trip back to the dealership is on the cards. Hate for the missus to be driving it with the kids and something happends. I'm going to insist they look at it. If I get any BS from the front desk then I'll take it to where my sales man went and insist he sorts it.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 09:28 AM   #12
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
you should report them to BMW corp. i know i did for sunroof noise and im taking it to a different service shop in 2 weeks
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 05:07 AM   #13
ozbmwx3
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: bmw x3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4u2nv View Post
Hi, all. I was wondering if anyone else has noticed a clicking/tapping noise coming from the steering column of the new X3 (only apparent when turning the wheel). I bought one recently (for the wife) and noticed it after a few days driving. Booked it in with the dealership and they just mugged me off they said that if there was no real fault they would sting me for £395+ VAT. I'm just wondering if it’s me being paranoid but now I listen out for it all the time and it's driving me loopy. I don't want to get mugged off again and I know I can insist on them looking at it however the sting is a major one and the cars not even a year old yet.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.
Nope, you're not paranoid. I have the same problem. Sounds worse some days than others. I will have it checked at the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 10:37 PM   #14
cohwang
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 28i

If the clicking/tapping noise you are referring to happens when you make a sharp left turn over bump, your car has the faulty steering rack. This can be fixed under warranty.
Appreciate 0