BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-06-2013, 08:07 PM   #23
gator4life108
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tango131 View Post
Folks, Pirelli in North America has a 1 yr road hazard warranty where u get free replacement, and pro rated afterwards. We got a nail in tire at 3200 mi in odo. Dealer replaced tire. They bitched and moaned, but had to show them the Pirelli warranty bulletin from their website. If dealer refuses, just go to any authorized Pirelli dealer, like ntb, discount tire, etc. it's free for a year.
This would of been nice to know. All the work was done at Discount Tire, but they did not have the tire in stock. Matter of fact nobody within a 25 mile radius had one. Only the BMW dealership had one but they would not install the tire. Had no choice since I was an hour away from home.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 11:10 PM   #24
ozbmwx3
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: bmw x3

I picked up a nail on a rear continental on Saturday. Got a low pressure warning. Took it to nearby the tyre shop. They advised it could not be repaired because the nail was on the outer tread pattern.

They had a secondhand (near new) Continental 275/19 in stock. Put on for $500. That is half price in Australia. A new continental is $1,000. Their advice was to put on Pirellis when the time comes to replace worn tyres. They are "only" $750 ea.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 12:07 AM   #25
brissim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30d (2011 F25) - now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozbmwx3 View Post
They had a secondhand (near new) Continental 275/19 in stock. Put on for $500. That is half price in Australia. A new continental is $1,000. Their advice was to put on Pirellis when the time comes to replace worn tyres. They are "only" $750 ea.
Which is another reason why I swapped out the runflats for non-runflats on delivery. And when you consider that you don't get the same milage out of RFTs you can get out of non-RFT (based on indicated wear indexes), the longer term cost of having RFTs really does become a double-whamy even without punctures.

Tony
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 07:43 AM   #26
woodchuck1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 X-drive 35i

So basically the decision to continue driving on run flats after a TPMS warning is a decision to throw the punctured tire away, regardless of tread wear. I plan to carry a compressor and sealant, and switch to non-run flat Michelins as soon as the Pirellis wear out.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 05:04 AM   #27
ozbmwx3
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: bmw x3

Quote:
Originally Posted by brissim View Post
Which is another reason why I swapped out the runflats for non-runflats on delivery. And when you consider that you don't get the same milage out of RFTs you can get out of non-RFT (based on indicated wear indexes), the longer term cost of having RFTs really does become a double-whamy even without punctures.

Tony
Hey Tony,

are you carrying a full size spare or a puncture repair kit/ compressor sealant in lieu?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 04:57 PM   #28
brissim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30d (2011 F25) - now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozbmwx3 View Post
Hey Tony,

are you carrying a full size spare or a puncture repair kit/ compressor sealant in lieu?
I carry a full size spare permanently tied down in the back.

Tony
Appreciate 0