BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-08-2016, 04:48 PM   #1
JohnnyBxo
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Rough idle, Check Engine Light

Hello forum,

I am seeking the kind assistance and advice from you all about an issue I am having with my 2008 X3. The symptoms are a rough idle that feels like misfiring and I have hesitation when trying to accelerate from a stop. The check engine light is on.

I pulled codes for the check engine light and I get P0015, P0303, P0302. I am not surprised about the misfires as that is what I am feeling, but P0015 had me perplexed. The P0015 is camshaft "B" bank 1. So I replaced the camshaft position sensor in the exhaust position. This did not fix the problem. I swapped the camshaft position sensors. This did not fix the problem. So I moved onto the VANOS solenoids. I have swapped the positions and the same codes appear. I have also try to spray out the solenoid with compressed air and this has also not fixed the problem (same codes).

When I swapped position sensors or the VANOS solenoids I was really hoping the codes would change around, but none of them have changed. I have not checked the spark plugs yet on the 2nd and 3rd cylinder, but I have checked the coils and both those coils are functioning (I tested it simply by unplugging the coil from the cylinder to see if I would notice if the engine ran a little rougher and both cylinders caused that).

I am not really sure what the problem is and I would greatly appreciate any help from you knowledgeable folks. What am I overlooking? What could be giving me this code? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by JohnnyBxo; 06-10-2016 at 11:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 10:56 AM   #2
KOMODOX3
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW X3 (manual)

Hi Johnny - Hope you're doing well and fixed your issue! I'm new to the forum and running into a very similar issue and looking for some help. I have a 2010 BMW X3 (manual) that has a CEL on with P0015. Very similar symptoms with slow acceleration from stop, and surge of power around 3K RPM or so. I've tried changing the VANOS solenoids, valve cover gaskets, spark pluggs recently but no luck.

Were you able to resolve this one? If so, how did you go about fixing it? Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2017, 12:36 PM   #3
Evanallan1
Rep
Drives: 2010 X3 3.0xDrive, 2015 VW GTI

My girlfriend just had this same issue happen on her 2010 3.0xdrive and it turned out that the crankcase vent value was bad, but it is inside the whole crankcase cover so we had to get it fully replaced which was about $1200. The solenoids that help control the VVT were also going so we had to get those replaced which was about $400 but now it runs like new and have not had this problem since. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0