BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-24-2016, 12:35 AM   #1
Portimao318
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 318i Touring MSport

UK votes OUT

So, our British friends do not wish to be part of the EU anymore

Pound Sterling has collapsed already.... I wonder what that will do to the prices of new BMWs in a while, they will go (a lot) up for sure.

Last edited by Portimao318; 06-24-2016 at 12:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2016, 01:12 AM   #2
Tjalle
Major
Rep
Drives: X4 35i

My reading of the result is that, probably, most of the people on this site have been in favour of staying. Hence we ought to be nice.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2016, 06:02 AM   #3
Pinewood
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 30d M sport LCI

Narrow win for leave. Sad day :-(
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2016, 08:13 AM   #4
Tjalle
Major
Rep

I will try to persuade your neighbour not to plug the Tunnel.

Move to Scotland? Clean air and whisky.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2016, 03:43 PM   #5
poiuytre111
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 sdrive 1.8 & E81 120D

Comments from recent TV coverage:- the "out" voters feel they were promised more retained money for health and welfare plus far fewer "immigrants". Not clear now who/where they expect to deliver on these promises, now that the "in" and "out" lobby groups have disbanded.

Last night after the vote they were trying to predict outcomes by region using some simple metrics e.g. in university cities the voters with a university education would have enough sense to see through this nonsense but in other areas...not so much. I kid you not.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2016, 05:46 PM   #6
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiuytre111 View Post
Comments from recent TV coverage:- the "out" voters feel they were promised more retained money for health and welfare plus far fewer "immigrants". Not clear now who/where they expect to deliver on these promises, now that the "in" and "out" lobby groups have disbanded.

Last night after the vote they were trying to predict outcomes by region using some simple metrics e.g. in university cities the voters with a university education would have enough sense to see through this nonsense but in other areas...not so much. I kid you not.
That's because there is truth in that... This chart shows the less well educated voted to leave in the highest numbers in the EU vote:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-25-2016, 04:27 AM   #7
plymjack
Nuclear Chief of the Watch
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25) 2.0D, i3 BEV

Sadly a lot also used it as a protest vote against the government, following on from the huge vote for the new opposition leader - who was very "on the fence" in his support.

The only winners will be the politicians -very sad and feel our young people will carry the pain and cost of this for the next 50 years.
Sony QX10 & GoPro Hero 3
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2016, 04:38 AM   #8
poiuytre111
Private
Rep

Click this link to sign the petition "EU Referendum Rules triggering a 2nd EU Referendum"
https://petition.parliament.uk/signa...o7HPcaBR4d0xb4
Thanks,
The Petitions team
UK Government and Parliament
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2016, 06:39 AM   #9
Tjalle
Major
Rep

There is a strong feeling within EU that this - like a divorce - should go quickly. EU might not wait for the UK to have a 2nd Referendum.

There are voices saying that EU should go ahead regardless of formal application from Cameron or new PM.

One question remains:will the UK go back to old practice with plumbings outside the walls?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2016, 08:58 AM   #10
poiuytre111
Private
Rep

I wouldn't hold your breath on that one, the "EU" has rules for this stuff. The current situation is that the UK government has held a non-binding referendum on the issue of leaving. The real process will only start once a formal request is registered with the EU officials by the UK government.

Might also be interesting to look into the 12th June 2008 Irish referendum on the treaty of Lisbon - which was rejected. A second referendum was held 2nd October 2008 with a quite different outcome.

Sometimes you have to give people a second chance to come up with the right answer
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2016, 01:35 AM   #11
plymjack
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Sometimes you have to give people a second chance to come up with the right answer
Would be nice to think you are right.... as very sad at the moment
Sony QX10 & GoPro Hero 3
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2016, 12:30 PM   #12
Pinewood
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjalle View Post
There is a strong feeling within EU that this - like a divorce - should go quickly. EU might not wait for the UK to have a 2nd Referendum.

There are voices saying that EU should go ahead regardless of formal application from Cameron or new PM.

One question remains:will the UK go back to old practice with plumbings outside the walls?
Article 50 can ONLY be invoked by the leaving country, that is written in black & white
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 04:17 AM   #13
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 640d,X5 45e, 911c4s, 635csi

I am a Brit living in Ireland, not sure how this will shape up, may have to apply for an Irish passport on the basis my wife is!
I hope the agreements between Ireland and UK go as normal, they go back way before the EU, and hope the EU will not try to punish the UK by limiting Ireland setup with the UK (Free movement and all).
I was surprised with the narrow result, the referendum was not a re-run, I voted to stay, but frankly not surprised about the result, Politics of the two camps in EU was never going to work, The Germans and the French always on the opposite side, add the issue of a currency Euro with no country…..
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 06:53 AM   #14
poiuytre111
Private
Rep

If anyone is interested in long-odds bets, I offer the following:
Cameron has resigned and Boris seems a likely successor. Most pundits suggest an election is needed following a change in party leader and it looks like the UK may see a change in the leaders of both main parties. The popular press are now owning up to the reality that the main claims of the brexit campaigns were bogus - incompatible and undeliverable. Scotland has re-opened its exit claim if Brexit is confirmed. If Brussels could only start dealing with the elephant in the room - the immigration issue, with sensible changes to the holy-cow open-border principle, then the coming UK election could act as an effective re-run of the referendum and quite possibly see us step back from the brink. If only...
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 10:49 AM   #15
plymjack
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Cameron has resigned and Boris seems a likely successor. Most pundits suggest an election is needed following a change in party leader and it looks like the UK may see a change in the leaders of both main parties. The popular press are now owning up to the reality that the main claims of the brexit campaigns were bogus - incompatible and undeliverable. Scotland has re-opened its exit claim if Brexit is confirmed. If Brussels could only start dealing with the elephant in the room - the immigration issue, with sensible changes to the holy-cow open-border principle, then the coming UK election could act as an effective re-run of the referendum and quite possibly see us step back from the brink. If only...
Its not such a long shot, other then it will be T May who gets in.... the EU can fudge free movement (as it did in the first place when we declined the option)...
Sony QX10 & GoPro Hero 3
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 01:15 AM   #16
Portimao318
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 318i Touring MSport

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/06/27/sp-cu...-from-aaa.html

Nice going Boris and Nigel.... GREAT BRITAIN will become "little england".
      06-28-2016, 04:53 AM   #17
poiuytre111
Private
Rep

Quote:
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/uk-ministe...073958606.html

Does Jeremy Hunt (UK Minister of Health) have a BMW X3 ?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 06:57 AM   #18
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 640d,X5 45e, 911c4s, 635csi

Last time I checked this very rating agency missed the big Lehman fall and give it A rating a week before the crash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endre2 View Post
http://www.cnbc.com/2016/06/27/sp-cu...-from-aaa.html

Nice going Boris and Nigel.... GREAT BRITAIN will become "little england".
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2016, 09:26 AM   #19
atomic
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 x3 x-line white

I don't get the doom and gloom about brexit. Britain was an independent country before and was fine. Plenty of countries are not in the EU and are doing fine.

Why would you want to give up your independence for a trade deal? I think the EU only benefits a couple countries. Basically Germany. Countries like Greece, Portugal, Spain and Italy have inflated currencies that cause their products to cost more than they are worth. If they were on their own currencies their products would be cheaper to the world and they could sell a lot more goods.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2016, 09:27 AM   #20
atomic
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 x3 x-line white

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endre2 View Post
So, our British friends do not wish to be part of the EU anymore

Pound Sterling has collapsed already.... I wonder what that will do to the prices of new BMWs in a while, they will go (a lot) up for sure.
They can only sell them for what people can afford and are willing to spend. BMW's are a lot cheaper in the US than they are in China. I am sure the prices will stay pretty much the same.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2016, 10:16 AM   #21
Andy_o
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 20d Xline Melbourne Red

Garage List
  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3   [0.00]
I don't get the whole clever people voted in and thick people voted out argument

I think it is more complicated than that.

Virtually the whole of England and Wales voted leave apart from London and a few small localised remain votes( setting aside Scotland and NI for a moment)

I think it was startling and show a massive chasm between the "metropolitan elites" and the rest of the country but not only that a massive disconnect between politicians and the electorate.

Conservative MP's completely out of kilter with grass roots constituency parties and even more so on the labour side.

The revolt against Corbyn blaming him for not getting the working classes to vote remain is far more telling on those making the claim than the voter and shows a spectacular misunderstanding of their core voters and the issues that are so real for those in the so called labour heartlands

I feel Westminster has lost the plot and both parties need massively to reconnect with people who live/work outside the elite north London bubble

As an example I have a friend who was married to a labour MP who represented a safe northern constituency. The MP only visited the constituency when absolutely necessary. My friend lived in the constituency house full time. When the MP was beaten and lost the seat she scuttled back to Islington never to set foot again north of the Watford gap !

My friend stayed in the north having found a love for the place

Scotland confuses me, nationalism has been stoked hard in recent years and those that are continuing to stoke are doing Scotland a disservice. I can see why Scotland voted in, but if put to another independence vote I think they would vote to remain with the U.K. Rather than be cast adrift.

NI Is a non issue, it will never vote to leave the UK, unionism and the Protestant majority is far too strong and will be the reason why any calls by the nationalists for a united Ireland's will fail

I think the roots to all this probably fall back to 1997 and the New labour project.

Just my opinion mind, and let's face it everyone has one

I do however feel, that the Uk will do better outside the EU than the countries within

Interesting times .. But a week on from the vote the world is still turning and there has been no apocalypse as predicted from a leave vote

Anyway ... My car is running very well thank you

Gone :X1 23d Msport manual, Space/Beige Pro Nav, Adaptive zenons, privacy glass, 18's, ext storage,

Current: X3 20d Xline auto, Melbourne/Beige, Sport seats, Viz pack, heated steering wheel, Folding mirrors, privacy glass, luggage net, pro nav

Current: E85 Z4 3.0si roadster titanium/Syrah individual

Current: F31 320d touring black/black work hack
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2016, 05:06 PM   #22
Pinewood
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

"Interesting times .. But a week on from the vote the world is still turning and there has been no apocalypse as predicted from a leave vote

Anyway ... My car is running very well thank you"

Thanks for making me smile - good post
Appreciate 0