BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-19-2011, 06:35 AM   #1
Ben Lee
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 528i and BMW X3

Is this Normal?

I just got my new X3 not long ago and overall, really enjoy it. Just a few nitpicking problems that bothers me.

First, every morning when I start the engine, there is a low "clicking" noise from the aircon, sort of like a grinder. While not loud at all to be disturbing, it's definitely audible. It last for about 10 mins and then gone. My dealer insist this is normal as it is the AC blower trying to circulate the air and it's like that for all X3. I also own a 5series sedan and the aircon was perfectly quiet when I just switched on the engine.

Second, the start/stop function seems to have a mind of it's own. Theoretically, whenever the car stops and it's not too warm outside, the engine will turn off temporarily and restart again when pressing the accelerator. Mine just seems to stop as and when it pleases with no pattern at all.

Third, in the manual, the boot should swing open when I press the button on the remote. Yet my car only unlocks the boot. I still have to manually open the door. The dealer says it's a safety feature and also my car doesn't come with the "auto-open" feature?? That despite mine supposed to be a top-of-the-line Xdrive35i. Am I missing something?

As X3 is still so rare in where I come from, will be great to hear from fellow X3 owners if they encounter the above. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 07:04 AM   #2
thefreeze
Hans
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 2.0D

Hi Ben Lee,

I'm a BMW virgin and if there's one thing I've learned in my short history with BMW it's this: no matter how luxurious you Bimmer is, if you haven't ticked an option in the option list, you're not gonna get it! I have driven Volvo's before and if you take the "summum" pack you also have the dimming mirrors etc. But that's not how it works with BMW.

On the start stop: I have the same "issue". I stop in a traffic jam, engine turns off. Drive 100 meter and then stop again: engine turns off. Another 100 meter: engine does not turn off. I also wonder why that is.

Aircon: can only be jealous. >80% of the BMW drivers are now experiencing winter conditions :-(
X3 20D auto High Executive. Moonroof, privacy glass, sport seats, professional audio & sat nav, 19" 309 wheels summer, 18" 307 winter, X-Line, Xenon, parking heater. Mineral Silver / Oyster leather interior, wave trim. V70 2.5T (private)
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 07:08 AM   #3
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

I second the start/stop randomless. Makes no sense to me sometimes. Leave house, engine cold, drive 100m, stops. Drive 50 miles without stopping, come to a standstill, doesn't stop.

If you don't have the automatic boot, it just unlocks. I think it would only pop if it was a saloon. A hatchback can't swing open quite so easily.

Never experienced the clicking when using aircon in the "summer" that we had this year

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 09:11 AM   #4
FASTTOYS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi R8, X3M, XC60 R-Line

I have the start stop button on my 2011 M3. In the USA you can disable it not sure about overseas. BMW has a very sophisticated computer system moderating the engine. Depending on many conditions out of our control this feature will never be consistent. So don’t expect it to turn off the motor from stop to stop. It could shut the motor off at one stop light then two minutes later its stays running. sfax: When you drove for 50 miles I can see why the engine stayed running when you reached your stop. Dont forget once you turn off the motor oil stops being pumped into the engine. A hot piston ring sitting against the cylendar wall without oil to be restarted one minute later is not ideal. Its not broken its doing what BMW engineers programed it to do. I never use it on my M3. To me shutting down the motor and re-starting it even with an over-built starter system this could not be ideal for the longevity of the motor. The funny thing I only keep my cars for two years so I don’t understand why I care other than being OCD.

Last edited by FASTTOYS; 12-19-2011 at 09:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 09:23 AM   #5
TogMogX3
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 F25

Ben,

No "grinder"in my aircon system.

I find that the Auto Stop/Start function is only 'female' and dependant upon various conditions, i.e. outside temperature and even how one comes to a stop. Coast a stop and apply light braking seems to 'fool' the system into keeping the engine running; while a harder braking actions seems to stop the engine. After a while you will 'switch off' to these anomalies and just get on with enjoying the beast. A bit like being married really.

In the UK one has to specify the automatic boot opening/closing and now that the weather is so foul here I regret missing it off my specification........come back Lexus all is forgiven!
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 11:43 AM   #6
powertech83
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 20d

I haven't noticed any grinding noise from the air conditioning system, I'll be paying more attention next time.
Regarding the auto start/stop, the 'erratic' behavior is why I always have it deactivated. The manual stated it won't activate if the engine has not warmed up enough, but I find when I start the car first thing in the morning, drive out of my house for like 30-40 meter, and then start/stop activated
About the tailgate, sadly all X3s sold here don't have automatic tailgate. I just wish we can add options to our car at reasonable price.
Appreciate 0