BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-03-2011, 04:41 PM   #1
Cashe77
Rep
Drives: Possible X3 M Sport Pkg or X5d

New to BMW, Please help me decide!

HI all! I'm new to the BMW family. I am currently in an 05 FX35 and was looking at the X5d, X3 and ML350 Bluetech.

I built out the 2012 X5d as
Platinum Gray/ Oyster/ Bamboo Trim
Premium Pkg
Sport Activity Pkg with 20" wheels
Running Boards
BMW Apps
Smart phone integration

MSRP $64,775
Invoice $56,900

I haven't gotten a quote on the X3 but it was
Carbon Black / Oyster / Fineline Wave Wood
Premium Sound
Cold Weather Pkg
Technology Pkg
M Sport Pkg
Premium Pkg
Split fold down rear seats
BMW Apps
Smart Phone integration
Extended Warranty

MSRP $57,234

I love the sporty feel of my FX, so that's why I love BMW, but my FX also feels more "plush" comparatively. Which is how the ML350 I test drove felt. However, I don't know if I like the play in the steering w/ the ML, however it did have less of the turbo drag and drove more like a gasoline engine than the BMWs. That being said, I've had many friends w/ MB and they complain constantly that they are always in the shop and I am so afraid that will be me. I need something reliable and my friends w/ BMWs rant and rave about them.

Anyway, knowing that this is a BMW forum, I realize I will get more opinions toward it, so if you feel that it's easier to help me choose between the X5d and the X3, I would greatly appreciate it. I love the look of the M Sport Pkg, but I like the gas mileage of the diesel and I am getting rid of the FX35 to get something a little bigger, which the X5d fit better than the X3.

I just didn't know which buy would be better in the long run. Please help!

TIA!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 05:14 PM   #2
Alanintx
ATAP
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Midnight Blue 430xi GC

I live in the DFW area and looked at the FX35 and the ML350 before I bought my X3.

(IMHO) The ML350 was nicely appointed (even with the vinyl interior), but drove like a truck. Also looked at the entry level ML SUV and that did not get close to consideration.

The FX35 is a great car with aggressive styling and was one of my top choices. As far as amenities, I think its equal to or better than the german cars. Plus, the leasing terms were very attractive.

However, I am a past BMW owner and it was evident that the FX35 did not "drive like a BMW" (you will probably hear this alot). I think the X3, as an SUV, is not the best example of "how a BMW drives", but you still know about it when you are taking a curve a bit faster than usual. Also, the FX35 was almost a foot longer than the X3, and I have a small garage so.....

The X3 that you configured looks pretty decent and once you get a real price and factor in the BMW "free maintenance" (oil change at 15K), it is comparable to the FX35.

BTW, not sure what is in the Cold weather package these days, but I just went for the heated seats and steering wheel (and technology, convenience, sport activity, and premium pkgs). Not much need for cold weather stuff around here unless you are driving north.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 05:18 PM   #3
Cashe77
Rep
Drives: Possible X3 M Sport Pkg or X5d

Cold Weather Package
$700
• Heated front seats
• Split fold-down-rear seat
• Heated Steering Wheel

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 02:00 PM   #4
Alanintx
ATAP
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashe77 View Post
Cold Weather Package
$700
• Heated front seats
• Split fold-down-rear seat
• Heated Steering Wheel

Thanks!
Ah, the 50/50 split seat for the skis makes sense. In 2011, the cold weather package must have cost more (and included more?), as I only opted for the heated seats and steering wheel which listed at $690
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 02:31 PM   #5
colson79
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i DSB

In 2011 the cold package did cost more but it also included heated rear seats and headlight washers. For 2012 they split the package in two, Cold weather 1 and Cold weather 2. Together they contain the same stuff as last year and the combined cost is the same.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 03:14 PM   #6
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

Cashe77 - buy the X5 35d and never look back. It is amazing and I love my X3 but it is no X5 diesel.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 07:42 PM   #7
fedinand
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3, '11 GTI

I think the X5 will be closer to your FX experience size-wise. The X5 will be more luxurious and get getter gas mileage. I think the X3 is the better driving/performing vehicle, as far as suvs go, but its still a suv so...
      10-04-2011, 08:29 PM   #8
Alanintx
ATAP
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by colson79 View Post
In 2011 the cold package did cost more but it also included heated rear seats and headlight washers. For 2012 they split the package in two, Cold weather 1 and Cold weather 2. Together they contain the same stuff as last year and the combined cost is the same.
Thanks! I knew there must have been some valid reason why I only opted for the heated front seats and steering wheel.
Appreciate 0