BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-07-2011, 12:54 PM   #1
ccsmile
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325i

need help on color selection

I have learned a great deal about the x3 from this forum. I am hoping I can get some more help here.

I am ready to order a 2012 X3 3.5i this weekend. I got all the options figured out (premium, technology, sports activity and 40:20:40 folding seats). Now I am stuck on the color and I need help. I want something classy, sporty and easy to maintain. Since I want something easy to maintain, I am thinking either space grey, Titanium silver or mineral silver. Can someone give me suggestions on the exterior/interior combo? I just can’t make up my mind and it is killing me Any help would be highly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 01:05 PM   #2
Penso di no
lapsed
Rep
Drives: Yes

First, don't get oyster or chestnut unless you have seen them in person and are *really* sure you want them, which if you did you wouldn't be asking. They're "polarizing" colors--people seem to either love them or hate them (so they affect resale the same way). Also don't judge chestnut by the pics, you've got to see what it really looks like and even sit in it to get a sense of whether you want that every day.

The beige is is too yellow for my taste, I prefer more of a saddle color (which isn't offered in the X3). Mojave and Black are my personal favorites with the Mojave winning out because it's a bit more unusual. Definitely find one to sit in before you buy, though. Black is always safe, which is why 90% of the BMWs you'll see on the lot have Black Nevada.

HTH
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 01:17 PM   #3
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
I have a mineral silver with black nevada leather and it goes great together. I think the black interior on any of the colors you listed looks good
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 01:17 PM   #4
tagz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 xDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penso di no View Post
First, don't get oyster or chestnut unless you have seen them in person and are *really* sure you want them, which if you did you wouldn't be asking. They're "polarizing" colors--people seem to either love them or hate them (so they affect resale the same way). Also don't judge chestnut by the pics, you've got to see what it really looks like and even sit in it to get a sense of whether you want that every day.

The beige is is too yellow for my taste, I prefer more of a saddle color (which isn't offered in the X3). Mojave and Black are my personal favorites with the Mojave winning out because it's a bit more unusual. Definitely find one to sit in before you buy, though. Black is always safe, which is why 90% of the BMWs you'll see on the lot have Black Nevada.

HTH
I have not seen anyone "hate" oyster... atleast on this forum.. most of the ppl seem to like it.. some of our friends on this forum did not chose oyster bcoz of the maintenance it required... not bcoz they did not like it..

that being said, I think chestnut is really really difficult to judge by the pics..
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 01:50 PM   #5
BXM3W
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1999 RX

I haven't ordered yet and have changed my mind a couple of times mostly since the M-sport came out as an option. My interior hasn't changed, though. I've stuck with Mojave and the dark wave wood. My original color when SAP was the only sport option was Mineral Silver. My current plan is to go with Carbon Black w/same interior.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 01:51 PM   #6
Penso di no
lapsed
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagz View Post
I have not seen anyone "hate" oyster... atleast on this forum.. most of the ppl seem to like it.. some of our friends on this forum did not chose oyster bcoz of the maintenance it required... not bcoz they did not like it..

that being said, I think chestnut is really really difficult to judge by the pics..
I wanted to provide useful advice rather than just opinions, but I really don't care for the oyster. You can put me in the "hate" camp, though that's probably putting it too strongly. Among my friends, about 2/3 have expressed negative opinions about it (unprompted, just showing color options) and the others like it. So I was really surprised to see all the oyster love on the forum, but hey, that's why they offer a variety of choices.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 02:06 PM   #7
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

bear in mind beige changes more than just the colour of the seats and the leather on the doors - refer to online configurator

oyster + DSB or SB look very good IMO, but only with wave wood

don't like oyster with brushed alu much but some people do

You could play it safe and get TiAg or MinAg with black nevada + brushed alu. Easy to maintain and no colour clash drama. I have TiAg + black + brushed alu and it works well, particularly the contrast stitching. Sunroof finishes it off as it makes it much lighter inside

Overall though, you can't get more subjective than colour choice as others have mentioned. Mojave a good example. You'll find posts on this forum saying how awful it is and others saying how wonderful it is. You need to see it yourself really so look at samples if possible

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 02:13 PM   #8
nonagon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayenne GTS

ccsmile, have you looked at the X3 photos forum? You're on the right track with your external color choices for a low maintenance and classy look. Personally I really like mineral silver or space gray on a SAP X3 with the 19s. For interior colors, I think oyster is beautiful, but it isn't low maintenance. I prefer chestnut overall. Black leather would be low maintenance and is a safe choice. I'm planning on M Sport, carbon black + chestnut/aluminum as that combo has a sporty quality.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 02:31 PM   #9
Dukat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

I ordered my 2012 in Metallic Silver, Oyster with dark wood trim.

White is easy to maintain and hides scratches very well. It looks sporty & really nice with the black accents on the car.

I initially picked White but changed to Metallic Silver because it was unique/rare (I've never seen one on the road).

I planned on getting black interior but I really loved the 2 tone you get with Oyster. You will need to put more effort into keeping it clean since dirt/damage will stand out more, but I thought it was worth the risk for the 2 tone color.

Black looks great but if you don't like seeing spots/swirl marks on your car you want to stay away.

My top choices are Mineral Silver, White, Metallic Grey.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 03:03 PM   #10
jackab
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Indi Red M5

I'm awaiting my PCD of my Carbon Black, with Oyster and Dark Wood interior - doesn't come any higher maintenance than that! (Dooh!) My PCD turnaround will be less than 1 month in total
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 03:17 PM   #11
colson79
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i DSB

Color choices are difficult to assist with as everyone has different preferences. I would look at as many photo's as you can and try to see some of the different colors in person if possible. I ordered DSB and Oyster but unlike most others I went with fineline Siena wood instead of wavewood because I liked the contrast of the lighter wood.
Appreciate 0