BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-21-2013, 04:27 AM   #1
cc3
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, GT4, M2 M140i G40

Competition hotting up!

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/News/Se...cial-pictures/
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2013, 07:36 AM   #2
RhoXS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 Z3 3.0i + 2016 X3 28i

Not sure I agree. The Mercedes products, even the AMG machines, have a different feel and character than BMWs. I am certainly not suggesting one is better than the other but, for the most part, I think BMW and Mercedes each appeal to different market segments. Athough there certainly is competition between the two, I dont perceive them as arch rival head to head competitors.

I want a luxury car that not only performs well in terms of power and handling but is also a bit rough around the edges. I perceive (and perceptions are my reality), Mercedes products are big, heavy, cumbersome, very luxurious machines that totally insulate the driver from the driving experience. This perception has been validated to me every time I ride in a Mercedes. Many people want this type of car and it was exactly what my Dad wanted when he switched from big heavy metal Buicks to Mercedes in the late 1970s. On the other hand, my BMWs were never the car that appealed to my Dad.

In other words, for me, and I believe for a very significant segment of the BMW customer base, a Mercedes is not a vehicle I would ever seriously consider. My X3 is so much more satisfying than a friends similary sized Mercedes SUV (that he loves).
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2013, 09:35 AM   #3
DonC
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 3.5i M sport, etc

I would take a look at it.
2018 i3S
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2013, 01:35 PM   #4
Tangsta
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '22 x3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoXS View Post
Not sure I agree. The Mercedes products, even the AMG machines, have a different feel and character than BMWs. I am certainly not suggesting one is better than the other but, for the most part, I think BMW and Mercedes each appeal to different market segments. Athough there certainly is competition between the two, I dont perceive them as arch rival head to head competitors.

In other words, for me, and I believe for a very significant segment of the BMW customer base, a Mercedes is not a vehicle I would ever seriously consider. My X3 is so much more satisfying than a friends similary sized Mercedes SUV (that he loves).
Agree for the most part... I barely even gave the GLK a second glance when I was cross shopping the X3 competitors.

The GLA looks to be more of an X1 competitor, and the AMG's are a totally different breed. Try hopping behind the wheel of a C63... If I was in the market for a smaller SUV, I think I'd probably end up with the GLA45 over the X1.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2013, 05:23 PM   #5
nonagon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayenne GTS

It's small and front drive biased, but I bet it's a rocket with 355 HP and around 3500 lbs. I agree that the GLA is much more an X1 competitor than X3, especially since the upcoming X1 will be built on a front drive platform and proportions are looking similar to the GLA (looks good actually) in spy shots.
Appreciate 0