BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-19-2011, 01:30 PM   #23
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

I wish the outline of the speaker on the top of the dash didn’t reflect into the windscreen. Annoys me.

The design of the cover for the boot (trunk) is rubbish as we’ve ended up with marks on the interior of the car made by its hooks. The hooks should only protrude when the cover is in place.

Cruise control should remember it was switched on, not always default to off.

Ability to cancel the silly warning message that comes on and stays on on top of the PDC if you start to try to move the car into reverse without pressing the button.

Music Collection to work much better, play albums in the right order etc

DVD volume is way too low, should adjust automatically so you don’t get blown out of your seat when you switch the radio/CD on

A shark fin that boosts my mobile signal. Mine makes no difference at all – OK, this is a fault, will get it checked

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 02:07 PM   #24
Le Chef
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i

Would have liked blind spot monitoring side mirrors. Once you have had them you realize how often other vehicles hide in the blind spot.

Heated windshield - nice if the car is parked outside in -10F

And for real luxury ventilated seats. And laser guided cruise control.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 04:49 PM   #25
twistediron
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: Bmw X3 35i M Sport

Perforated seats... Made the mistake of leatherette and fark they get hot

Also have the display on the guage cluster match the settings for the main display. I can tell sirius to show me artist song or station, but instrument cluster only shows station name; can be a bit confusing

And i agree with the hook covers for the rear cover they are brutal
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 06:11 PM   #26
powertech83
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 20d

I haven't received my car yet, so can't say much about the interior ergonomics. As of the things i would change, i agree with some of the things already mentioned:
1. Electric steering wheel adjustment
2. LED brake light and turn signals (incl front turn signals)
3. Better interior quality, in here X3 20d is significantly more expensive than 520d (maybe its our import duties of 4x4 vehicles are higher, or could be because bmw indonesia take more profit for the x series sold here i don't know), if i don't need the ground clearance i would have gone with the 520d just because i feel the overall interior quality is better.
4. Headlight design is too squarish (i'm sure it is mentioned before), and imo doesn't flow with other bmw headlight design, i wonder why bmw always has to make the x3 different than the siblings in terms of design fluidity. Even the x1 has better shaped headlight. That said, no way i'm replacing my x3 with the x1
5. Ventilated seats would be nice, although i'm sure the feature won't make it here, and maybe bmw doesn't want to canibalize x5 sales.
6. Covered cup holders
7. Not too important, but would be nice to have interior ambient lighting a la 5 and 7 series (the lighting strip underneath the door trim)
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 07:45 PM   #27
sard
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Oh the stupid concentric circle / radar shaped heating lines in the rear window. Does this bother anyone? Get used to it?

E92 M3 - DCT - 20" BBS LM-R - KW Clubsport - Akrapovic Exhaust - Powerchip Tune - Arkym Aero Kit - HID Halo
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 07:56 PM   #28
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by sard View Post
Oh the stupid concentric circle / radar shaped heating lines in the rear window. Does this bother anyone? Get used to it?
I noticed it for about a week, used to it now and don't even see it.

BTW, do some of you know how much more expensive the X3 would be if some of your "wishes" came true? Generally, I'm very happy with the car as I ordered it. The only change I would make, which isn't really a change, more of a "wish I ticked the box" - and that is I would have got the back-up camera.
      08-20-2011, 12:44 AM   #29
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

I would change the horrible rear xline insert, it ruins the look for me

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2011, 01:32 AM   #30
ILuvMy335i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 3.0d Msport

1 Side sensors for PDC
2 the ability to permanently have things like sport mode and auto start/stop switched on and off rather than having a default setting after every start up
      08-20-2011, 01:38 AM   #31
ILuvMy335i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 3.0d Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertech83 View Post
7. Not too important, but would be nice to have interior ambient lighting a la 5 and 7 series (the lighting strip underneath the door trim)
Not sure about everywhere else, but in SA that is an option called "extended lights package" or something. It provides pavement lighting as well as the light under each door handle. I'm sure the pavement lighting can be retro fitted - if you look under the door pad you will see the pop out rectangle for the light cover.
      08-20-2011, 03:40 AM   #32
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Chef View Post
Would have liked blind spot monitoring side mirrors. Once you have had them you realize how often other vehicles hide in the blind spot.

Heated windshield - nice if the car is parked outside in -10F

And for real luxury ventilated seats.
+1

Would be great not to have to go up to the size of a 5er to get ventilated seats!
      08-20-2011, 07:02 AM   #33
midlifecrisis
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 35d, 2019 230i X

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvMy335i View Post
1 Side sensors for PDC
2 the ability to permanently have things like sport mode and auto start/stop switched on and off rather than having a default setting after every start up
I agree with you on item 2. This is very annoying to me.

I'm still not used to the shift lever. Another fix to a problem that didn't exist, as far as I'm concerned. I fear that someday I'll go for the sport button or reach for something in the storage bin and hit the Park button accidently.

The only other thing I'm not 100% happy with is the Nav system. It's sometimes very slow to recalculate a new route when you don't want to go the way it suggests. This was particularly bad last weekend when I drove to Vermont. It acutually added about an hour to my trip because it wanted me to go to the next interstate exit and backtrack to its original route. It finally figured out I didn't want to go that way and remapped. Only then did the ETA revert back to the original time. It took about 20 minutes for the system to figure it out, though. My $250 Garmin does a much better job adapting to new routes. Most of the time the Nav is fine, but I expect better considering the cost.

Other than that, I'm exceptionally happy with my X3. I have 4500 miles on it, and it exceeds my expectations in every way but those mentioned above. It is a very smooth, comfortable highway cruiser and great on the twisty back roads, too!
2000 328i sedan (UUC suspension - still the favorite), 2006 M3 slick top - Alpine White/Cinnamon
SOLD! 2008 E90 M3 SOLD! 1991 325iX (both great), 2019 Miata RF - various others not as memorable but gone.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2011, 08:17 AM   #34
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

1. Continued improvement of the iDrive interface including simpler radio station programming and retained memory of last screen viewed, and ability to turn on the rear-view camera while driving forward at speed.

2. A real, 3-pedal, 6-speed manual transmission option with the petrol engines in the US market.

3. A real engine oil dipstick. I don't trust the electronic oil level monitor and hate having to drive (5) miles just to check the oil level.

4. Fill and drain plugs on the transmission, transfer case and differentials. "Filled for life" lubrication is fine for the initial owner, but ultimately leads to earlier component wear-out or failure.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2011, 12:05 AM   #35
Marmik
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 35i titanium & black

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMMER UK 76 View Post
I would change the horrible rear xline insert, it ruins the look for me
You know I sort of hated that too. I popped it off one day and spray painted it matte black. Looks better to me now. This on a titanium silver x3.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2011, 09:39 AM   #36
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmik View Post
You know I sort of hated that too. I popped it off one day and spray painted it matte black. Looks better to me now. This on a titanium silver x3.
Pictures??
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2011, 11:06 PM   #37
CarolinaBlue
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02420X3 View Post
Eliminate the iPhone cradle, and provide all of the same functionality off of a USB cable.
This is already the case.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 05:47 AM   #38
02420X3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBlue View Post
This is already the case.
There's at least one difference. iPhone video does not play off of the USB cable. iPhone video does play off of the cradle.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 07:55 AM   #39
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
After about 3+ months of ownership, I am still very happy with the X3. I guess the OP's title of "what would you change..." was bound to become a wish list thread. I was thinking more along the lines of what I don't like as much about the design and what things don't seem to work right (or should work better, perhaps).

I find it hard to complain too much about visual and tactile design elements - because quite simply if these were that important and I didn't like them, I should never have purchased the vehicle. Sure, I thought the headlight design was an afterthought, but I saw it and bought one so I really can't whine. I'm okay with that, as well as some other things like the cheaper plastic in the lower door panels - doesn't bother me, and I have an E70 X5 for comparison.

Couple things that do bug me a bit:
1. I really don't know why they changed the design and location of the cruise control. It's not that I can't live with it, but my four other BMWs all had the CC stalk on the left of the column and it worked wonderfully. By moving it to the left of the steering wheel, they have not only forced non-new BMW owners to re-learn the functions, but they have robbed several steering wheel controls in the process.
2. If you have M-Sport, they should make the fasteners in the wheel wells body colored. The black fasteners against the white body color may look "industrial chic" to some, but are a bit tacky. There is also a section of unmasked white body showing through in the rear wheel wells that - again if you have white - is quite noticable and looks "unfinished".
3. Agree on the panorama sunroof observations, our previous E91 and our current E70 both have two panel function for the venting position. Nice for rear seat passengers.
4. Voice commands have changed significantly. I fully understand that as technology marches forward, things must change - but there is no reason they could not have maintained the previous voice commands, even if adding the new ones.
5. Connected Drive still has a long way to go. The iPhone app is unreliable. Hopefully this will improve as real developers add content and BMW stops trying to pretend that they understand the technology.
6. Agree about the LED brake and signal lights. This is an expected technology in a luxury brand in this price range.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 10:00 AM   #40
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Ledzep, #2 (the unmasked part of the rear wheel well) was something I noticed upon delivery and thought it looked aweful too. Whatever color the car is shows in a big patch that you can see (in my case Mineral Silver). WTF did they do that?? I also don't like how you can see the muffler from the rear. Wish they would have hid it a little more.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 10:12 AM   #41
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02420X3 View Post
There's at least one difference. iPhone video does not play off of the USB cable. iPhone video does play off of the cradle.
I thought all of the wizzie 6NR stuff (including video) only worked with a media cradle, not with standard USB (otherwise the media cradle wouldn't be a prerequisite for 6NR)

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 10:34 AM   #42
tagz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 xDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sard View Post
It was mentioned in one of the reviews... CNET I think

I got used to it though!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 11:32 AM   #43
YOYO1111
Private
Rep
Drives: M3

I don't like the location of the manual gear display. Should be larger and in the center. Not low and small.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 11:57 AM   #44
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want the thrill View Post
Ledzep, #2 (the unmasked part of the rear wheel well) was something I noticed upon delivery and thought it looked aweful too. Whatever color the car is shows in a big patch that you can see (in my case Mineral Silver). WTF did they do that?? I also don't like how you can see the muffler from the rear. Wish they would have hid it a little more.
People complaining about car manufactures leaving the muffler "silver" seems to be a big gripe. Many have painted them using a high temp primer and paint, ie bbq or engine paint in a flat or stain black.
Appreciate 0