BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-11-2012, 05:15 PM   #23
Le Chef
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i

I'm glad someone else with a professional design perspective can see the intrinsic value of the Evoque and the LR/RR design language.

The X3 is a design mess: too fussy down the flanks, a nose that is out of proportion to the rest of the design ("Look at me! Look at me! I'm a BMW!"). It looks overweight and flabby and tries to hide it, to no avail, with an exaggerated rising belt line. The best part of the design is the rear.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 05:55 PM   #24
xG35c
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330i

The wife currently drives a Q5 with the lease ending soon. We initially wanted the Evoque, but they did simply make it too short. The width is decent, and it certainly is the most stylish choice out there, but not having any rear legroom in a 4 door SUV is a bit pointless. Rumor has it RR realizes their mistake and will have an XL model in a couple of years? Regardless, the dealer told us RR expected to sell as many 2 doors as 4 doors (??) so there are NO deals or remotely reasonable lease programs available on the 4 doors. If you're in the lunatic fringe and think a 2 door ultra compact SUV is a good idea, you can probably get a good discount!
Even though the Q5 was excellent, we don't want to get the same car AND it is getting a facelift this fall. That leaves us with the X3 which looks OK, has the cheapest looking interior but is practical and drives like a dream. I would probably keep looking but she's happy! Hopefully it will be a 2013 with the turbo four and give her more trips to the malls between fillups!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 08:17 PM   #25
powertech83
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 20d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stig 2 View Post
Was dropping off a car to get detailed this morning, and there was an Evoque being cleaned.
It was tiny.
It looked about the same size as a countryman.
Very small rear seats and tiny boot space.
I can't see how it gets compared to the X3 so often. They are in a different size class completely.
The Evoque is supposedly X1 competitor in terms of size, but the price made people compare it to the X3.
Here though, the price is the same as the X5 I'd rather take the X5.
I've seen the Evoque on the road once, and I still think it has ugly butt, and weird proportion when seen from behind.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 09:47 PM   #26
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Chef View Post
I'm glad someone else with a professional design perspective can see the intrinsic value of the Evoque and the LR/RR design language.

The X3 is a design mess: too fussy down the flanks, a nose that is out of proportion to the rest of the design ("Look at me! Look at me! I'm a BMW!"). It looks overweight and flabby and tries to hide it, to no avail, with an exaggerated rising belt line. The best part of the design is the rear.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think the rear is the WORST part!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 02:10 AM   #27
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Profession design perspective is all very well but most that I know want to design something to make themselves stand out so they often like weird things, calling them cutting edge. The Evoque does not take auto design forward in any way.
      02-12-2012, 04:54 AM   #28
Filski
Private
Rep
Drives: None

Well what does? I mean really?
Bigger engines, faster 0-100 times? Most places in the world means you can have 5.6 sec of fun in the 30d and the you are breaking the law.

Exterior styling... It's in the eye of the beholder. I may not know car design but I know what I like? That's blind faith because you outlaid a wad of cash or follow a marque. Interior design is the same.

Maybe doing something outlandish is taking design forwards. The more you try to challenge conventions the easier it becomes. The evoque does do that, it's lines have caused so much debate. Those passenger window, the near lack of a rear window (which has never bother bus, truck and van drivers before)... It challenges how we use a car, what we should expect - rear cameras are a necessity for safety. Is that forwards or backwards? What about the 4 point cameras which make vision at a t intersection so easy?

Tell me, what are the real - not cosmetic - differences in design between the q5, x3, the offerings from Porsche, and for that matter the Kia's, mazdas and Nissan and so on? There's a nice little Internet abbreviation called IMHO. It should be tacked on when ever somebody tries to pass off personal feelings as fact.

It is very interesting to read what previous cars people have owned and how driving their new cars makes people feel on forums for both the x3 and the Evoque. It does seem to me though that the evoque is instillng just a little more joy so far.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 05:10 AM   #29
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filski View Post
There's a nice little Internet abbreviation called IMHO. It should be tacked on when ever somebody tries to pass off personal feelings as fact.
I know what you mean by this but every post has an implicit IMO attached to it really. That's all it is. One person's opinion. I can see why people will like the Evoque. I like it except the back and the fact it wouldn't be big enough for me. I'm sure you'd get some very different views on RR forums

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 05:48 AM   #30
Filski
Private
Rep
Drives: None

I probably went a bit over the top with that post so I quite like both cars and struggle to separate them
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 06:47 AM   #31
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filski View Post
It does seem to me though that the evoque is instillng just a little more joy so far.
I like this comment. That's a great thing about the lives most of us here are probably lucky enough to lead -- that we can simply enjoy something like that makes us smile. And it's not a zero sum game. I can enjoy apples without you no longer being able to enjoy oranges. So much advertising and our receptivity to it has changed all debates to a question of "best" equating to winners and losers. There's really no reason it needs to be that way. Revel in the joy.
      02-12-2012, 06:46 PM   #32
jk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '12 x3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnw View Post
I really like the look of it (for me it would have to be the 4dr though, I can't get my head around the 2dr), I just wish it was 10% bigger in all directions, had six cylinder engine options and wouldn't fall apart...
so, if i understand you, except for needing 2 more doors, 33% more volume [="10% bigger in all directions"], 2 more cylinders and much better reliability, it's perfect.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 01:08 AM   #33
KF
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X3 30D

Garage List
Hi All

We walked past the Evoque, test drove a Discovery 4 and an X3. The X3 3.0d arrives Friday, I never considered it any thing other than good looking. The Evoque is just plain ugly in my eyes!! and tiny and overpriced!!

KF
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 10:30 AM   #34
jsbos
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X3 28i

It is all in the eye of the beholder and brand experience. I once owned an LR3 (Discovery3) and liked the vehicle very much. I've been driving BMW since 1987 and just feel at home in them, nothing else quite compares in my personal opinion.
The Evoque gas mileage is good for LR. Driving a 4 cyl Ford derived transverse mounted engine isn't for me and I'm not a huge turbo fan. The design is interesting but I'd feel odd driving it. Again, just my personal opinions...
Love my naturally aspirated 2012 X3 28i
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 10:32 AM   #35
jsbos
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X3 28i

And to contradict myself... If I had the opportunity to purchase a turbo diesel X3 in the US, I may have done so.
Appreciate 0