BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-19-2011, 10:55 AM   #1
kolien
Private
Norway
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 3.0d (F25)

DAB question

Anybody who ordered DAB option know if the DAB radio automatically switches to FM reception when you drive into an area where there are no DAB signals available?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 01:33 PM   #2
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolien View Post
Anybody who ordered DAB option know if the DAB radio automatically switches to FM reception when you drive into an area where there are no DAB signals available?
It doesn't unfortunately (just cuts out and stays on DAB until signal is back) although I'm usually covered so maybe if I lost DAB altogether for a long enough it might try to switch to FM

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 02:43 PM   #3
kolien
Private
Norway
Rep

Hello sfax. Thank you for your answer.

I test drove a 5 series some time ago which had DAB. It behaved the same way... signal lost in some signal shadow zone... maybe DAB signal power will be better after they shut the FM transmitters, maybe in 2017...

I have read somewhere (can't remember where) that some other car brand does automatically switch between DAB and FM if needed, although I don't know if the both signals will be in sync (DAB signal is lagging behind FM for some seconds). Should be a "piece of cake" for modern electronics to handle, though.

Until DAB becomes standard (hopefully with better reception) I think that it is not a option worth spending money on.

Going to my dealer tomorrow to order our X3 and to sort out the details...
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 04:58 PM   #4
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Individual Edition

There s/b a setting that can be ticked to auto tune to FM when a weak digital signal is found. Should be in the manual.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2011, 03:17 AM   #5
kolien
Private
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant Man View Post
There s/b a setting that can be ticked to auto tune to FM when a weak digital signal is found. Should be in the manual.
Good news then I tried to google for the instruction manual but could only find the US type.

I will ask my salesrep later today and return with an answer.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2011, 05:15 AM   #6
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant Man View Post
Ant Man is correct. Under DAB options there is an "auto DAB/FM changeover" check box. I didn't know so thanks for pointing that out

99% of the time I find DAB signal is excellent where I am but this is probably worth leaving switched on

I also read that if you have DAB but not pro nav, the list of available stations is not automatically updated which is another reason to go for pro

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2011, 02:55 AM   #7
kolien
Private
Norway
Rep

Back from the dealer, he said that there is no such functionality for the DAB option in the X3. I guess he is not completely up to date. I am a little surprised though, but guessing that it hard to keep up with all the smaller changes as time goes.

I will ask to see if he has a "DAB car" later this week when trying out the 3.0d )
Appreciate 0