BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-12-2012, 10:37 PM   #1
bcaz
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X3 28i

New owner of a new 2012 X3

Greetings -- I ordered my X3 on December 30 and was told I had a "week 3" production slot. My dealer called on January 17 to tell me my car was in -- with photograph, protective plastic included. I picked it up January 20.

It's been terrific, 600 miles so far. Having moved from a 2003 Acura, I was blown away a bit by the electronics at first (a car with no moving parts?) but I'm adapting. I got it pretty much fully loaded -- if I remember:

Metallic bronze, chestnut leather, sienna wood trim, premium package, technology package, sport activity package, dynamic handling package, convenience package, cold weather I package, premium sound package, cargo net, 2 more years (to 6/or 100) maintenance plan ... I think that covers it.

I went with the 28i over the 35 or the 2013 4 cylinder turbo. I got a good price and I'm glad I did. I'm a bit skeptical of turbos in my climate. Phoenix is the hottest big city in the world except for perhaps Palm Springs, Riyadh, Baghdad ... the I6 is a great engine, tested and proven ... I may occasionally pine for the 300/300 -- maybe twice a year -- I live in the city.

So far I'm very impressed with the engine and handling, especially with the DHP capabilities. I'm still in the break-in phase so I'm babying the little beast but I'm looking forward to taking it out on the open road. Arizona, like much of the American West, has a lot of high country nearby and plenty of unpaved roads. I'm not into bouldering or anything too rough, or I would have bought another vehicle. I expect this one will handle the occasional winter storm and the last few miles of dirt and gravel on the way to the trail head. Meanwhile, it really goes (!) and handles like a BMW 3... just taller.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 12:44 AM   #2
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Congratulations and I'm pleased things are going well. You know if you start a thread like this people will expect pictures....

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 04:21 AM   #3
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Excellent! Glad to hear you're enjoying the vehicle. As sfax said . . . . pictures!! I'm wondering what the MB looks like at sunset near a saguaro . . .
      02-13-2012, 08:29 AM   #4
Leighton
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW

I noticed that you purchased extended maintenance. Did you also purchase extended warranty? My understanding is that they are different and that both are necessary to continue the same degree of coverage as the initial 4/50 if that is your intention.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 09:36 AM   #5
bcaz
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leighton View Post
I noticed that you purchased extended maintenance. Did you also purchase extended warranty? My understanding is that they are different and that both are necessary to continue the same degree of coverage as the initial 4/50 if that is your intention.
No I didn't and yes they are. I thought about it -- it would have been a few grand more -- and I may look into it again. I had three cars in 29 years prior to this one; I tend to hang on to them. Even so, it's hard to imagine having this one for ten years, With all the technology in it, it may be far out of date by then ...
Appreciate 0