BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-05-2011, 06:19 PM   #23
Steve30dMSport
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 30D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by swallowtail View Post
Yes, I am used to the mirror dipping in my Passat - very handy. Although Top View will take some of that function I suspect.

As to sound system - I have an after market setup in my VW (after ordering it with Dynaudio but it got left off the order, so the dealer paid for it LOL), and anything that BMW do isn't going to come close to what can be done aftermarket. So initially I will leave it as std basic sound system, then put an arc audio ks125.4 mini 4 channel amp bridged to 2 channels for the front. Replace all the front speakers - top quality 8"s instead of the 6"s, and active splits instead of the 4"s. That will come to about $2500 aftermarket, so similar cost to the middle BMW system, but for front seats will blow the BMW option out of the water for sound quality, whilst still leaving capability to further upgrade rears down the track if I want to.

The problem with the BMW options here in Oz is that they cop 33% Luxury Car Tax here when purchased on a new vehicle at this price range, so a total tax rate of 33% LCT then 10% GST on top of that. Kinda takes a lot of the value out of the options.

Am totally with you on the LCT and GST. As an Accountant here in Melbourne I hate it passionately. That's why I didn't order the tow bar. Just ridiculously expensive with the LCT and I prefer a local solution for half the price. I'm really interested in how your sound system comes out. By far the best sound I have ever heard in a car is in the new Jaguar XJ with the B&W speakers. It is simply awesome. If a quality after market speaker kit that slots straight in from someone like Dynaudio or Focal comes out I will definitely have a look at it.

One thing to consider is I have read somewhere on here recently that altering the sound system has big ramifications with the i-drive system and things have to be reset from scratch or something along those lines. I don't know who you would go to for confirmation of this because the car is so new, but it may be worth your while doing some research on that.

Are you going to get the windows tinted after you pick it up or are you going for the privacy glass option? My advice here is definitely get it done after market so you get the UV protection and you can get it on all windows (except windscreen of course) and I think it looks better anyway. I got BMW Melbourne to do the tinting on delivery for convenience but that was $840 and I know I could have got it for about $350 elsewhere. I was just lazy I guess. But it really cools the car down and is a nice shade of tint.

And I guess now the wait begins. I had to wait from May to October for my 30d but I think yours will be shorter now that production is well and truly ramped up for the 30d. You may only wait 3 months?

Steve
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 07:01 PM   #24
swallowtail
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Competition DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve30dMSport View Post
Am totally with you on the LCT and GST. As an Accountant here in Melbourne I hate it passionately. That's why I didn't order the tow bar. Just ridiculously expensive with the LCT and I prefer a local solution for half the price. I'm really interested in how your sound system comes out. By far the best sound I have ever heard in a car is in the new Jaguar XJ with the B&W speakers. It is simply awesome. If a quality after market speaker kit that slots straight in from someone like Dynaudio or Focal comes out I will definitely have a look at it.

One thing to consider is I have read somewhere on here recently that altering the sound system has big ramifications with the i-drive system and things have to be reset from scratch or something along those lines. I don't know who you would go to for confirmation of this because the car is so new, but it may be worth your while doing some research on that.

Are you going to get the windows tinted after you pick it up or are you going for the privacy glass option? My advice here is definitely get it done after market so you get the UV protection and you can get it on all windows (except windscreen of course) and I think it looks better anyway. I got BMW Melbourne to do the tinting on delivery for convenience but that was $840 and I know I could have got it for about $350 elsewhere. I was just lazy I guess. But it really cools the car down and is a nice shade of tint.

And I guess now the wait begins. I had to wait from May to October for my 30d but I think yours will be shorter now that production is well and truly ramped up for the 30d. You may only wait 3 months?

Steve
Yep towbar works out at $3000 once you include LCT and GST I have seen a Hayman Reese one for $1200 that includes electronics etc. What do you have on yours?

Northfield have done X3s with this setup before, so it should be fine. It's all 'downstream' from the existing head unit, so won't have any impact on CANBUS etc. The amp is switched from the headunit's speaker level outputs (and tuned for it), so the car sees nothing different. I have the same amp in my VW and it absolutely rocks. No sub, just the arc audio and 4 sets of active crossover Alpine splits with 8" drivers, and it completely munches anything you throw at it. You would never believe that it is not driving a small sub somewhere in the car. With the X3 apparently having room for 8"s under the seats, and then a good set of splits in the front door (replacing the single 4" in the basic setup) the arc audio in bridged 2 channel mode will be a good setup. Then I can save up for another one in 2+1 mode in the back... :-D

I'll get windows tinted by the same guy that did my wife's 123d - comes to your home, and did a brilliant job. No way known to man that I would pay a dealer to do it LOL. Or "Paint protection"

They've told me probably April or May... ah well... Gotta get lease financing organised before I can put an order in, and then the long wait and time to sell the VW.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 08:00 PM   #25
Steve30dMSport
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 30D M Sport

Quote:
Yep towbar works out at $3000 once you include LCT and GST I have seen a Hayman Reese one for $1200 that includes electronics etc. What do you have on yours?

Northfield have done X3s with this setup before, so it should be fine. It's all 'downstream' from the existing head unit, so won't have any impact on CANBUS etc. The amp is switched from the headunit's speaker level outputs (and tuned for it), so the car sees nothing different. I have the same amp in my VW and it absolutely rocks. No sub, just the arc audio and 4 sets of active crossover Alpine splits with 8" drivers, and it completely munches anything you throw at it. You would never believe that it is not driving a small sub somewhere in the car. With the X3 apparently having room for 8"s under the seats, and then a good set of splits in the front door (replacing the single 4" in the basic setup) the arc audio in bridged 2 channel mode will be a good setup. Then I can save up for another one in 2+1 mode in the back... :-D

I'll get windows tinted by the same guy that did my wife's 123d - comes to your home, and did a brilliant job. No way known to man that I would pay a dealer to do it LOL. Or "Paint protection"

They've told me probably April or May... ah well... Gotta get lease financing organised before I can put an order in, and then the long wait and time to sell the VW.

I haven't put a towbar on yet but will most likely go the Hayman Reese route as well.

The sound system sounds excellent. I went the pro sound option but I am very open to upgrading my speakers down the track.

I couldn't believe the dealer wanted over $3k for the paint protection! I just stonewalled her but relented on the window tinting because I couldn't be bothered. Probably paid $500 over the odds for it but with the incredible discount I managed on the total package I didn't mind (good mate's cousin works there! ).

I can't believe you still have a 4-5 month wait. Well it flies initially but that last month is a killer. But you probably got that with the R36 anyway? I know when I put my order in for an R36 they said 6-9 months! But there were none anyway due to the new model so it didn't matter in the end.

You shouldn't have any issues selling your R36. They are an awesome car and are starting to become more appreciated now.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 09:47 PM   #26
swallowtail
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve30dMSport View Post
I haven't put a towbar on yet but will most likely go the Hayman Reese route as well.

The sound system sounds excellent. I went the pro sound option but I am very open to upgrading my speakers down the track.

I couldn't believe the dealer wanted over $3k for the paint protection! I just stonewalled her but relented on the window tinting because I couldn't be bothered. Probably paid $500 over the odds for it but with the incredible discount I managed on the total package I didn't mind (good mate's cousin works there! ).

I can't believe you still have a 4-5 month wait. Well it flies initially but that last month is a killer. But you probably got that with the R36 anyway? I know when I put my order in for an R36 they said 6-9 months! But there were none anyway due to the new model so it didn't matter in the end.

You shouldn't have any issues selling your R36. They are an awesome car and are starting to become more appreciated now.
While I draw breath I will not buy the dealer protection package LOL...

R36 I had to wait about 10 weeks for, back in 2009. Last couple of weeks were tough...
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 07:12 PM   #27
swallowtail
Private
Australia
Rep

Well, it's ordered.

xDrive30d M Sport Carbon Black, Oyster interior, sunroof, xenons, nav pro with 6NK and 6NF, Top View, Lumbar support, folding mirrors.

Leasing company came up trumps with a great price - don't let anyone tell you there's no room for movement on these.

Delivery due late April or early May... :-(
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 08:19 PM   #28
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep
Drives: Like a Demon!

Garage List
2010 BMW Z4 35is  [10.00]
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
Quote:
Well, it's ordered.

xDrive30d M Sport Carbon Black, Oyster interior, sunroof, xenons, nav pro with 6NK and 6NF, Top View, Lumbar support, folding mirrors.

Leasing company came up trumps with a great price - don't let anyone tell you there's no room for movement on these.

Delivery due late April or early May... :-(
Congrats.
We have had a trouble free run so far with ours (only one minor rattle in dash) - and the milage is getting better.
I drive it like I stole it and we are still getting 8.7 l/100kms on it.

Did you stick with the 18" wheels?
I only optioned to the 19" as they looked easier to clean...

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 08:58 PM   #29
swallowtail
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stig 2 View Post
Congrats.
We have had a trouble free run so far with ours (only one minor rattle in dash) - and the milage is getting better.
I drive it like I stole it and we are still getting 8.7 l/100kms on it.

Did you stick with the 18" wheels?
I only optioned to the 19" as they looked easier to clean...
Thanks... I stuck with the 18s... price was at the max anyway LOL - over really!

We took my wife's 123d to the Northern NSW coast from Brisbane last weekend - average fuel consumption was 4.8l/100km.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 09:27 AM   #30
Uksa007
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
don't let anyone tell you there's no room for movement on these.
Hi,

Looking for a very similar spec X3 30d. Best Deal I have come up with is about $4k off the Drive Away Price.

Would you mind sharing how much you got off and which dealer?

Thanks,

Uksa007.

Last edited by Uksa007; 01-13-2012 at 09:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 03:24 AM   #31
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uksa007 View Post
Hi,

Looking for a very similar spec X3 30d. Best Deal I have come up with is about $4k off the Drive Away Price.

Would you mind sharing how much you got off and which dealer?

Thanks,

Uksa007.
The corporate program saves you about $4k. You get four years free servicing and about $2K off the dealer delivery.

On top of that, I managed about another $4-5k off the car price to get it down to a number well under $100K... but then added another $3.5K of DVD / TV system to get it up near the $100K again...
Its not the dealer, it more the haggle and the relationship you have with them I find.
I've since been told one of the companies I own shares in has a "employee's price deal" with another BMW dealer in brisbane, so I could have saved another $5K. Not happy Jan.
Perhaps I should be thinking "Next time Gadget, Next time!"

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 07:49 AM   #32
Uksa007
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The corporate program saves you about $4k. You get four years free servicing and about $2K off the dealer delivery.

On top of that, I managed about another $4-5k off the car price to get it down to a number well under $100K... but then added another $3.5K of DVD / TV system to get it up near the $100K again...
Its not the dealer, it more the haggle and the relationship you have with them I find.
I've since been told one of the companies I own shares in has a "employee's price deal" with another BMW dealer in brisbane, so I could have saved another $5K. Not happy Jan.
Perhaps I should be thinking "Next time Gadget, Next time!"
Yea I can get the corp program, but the dealers are telling me all that BMW AU provide is the free servicing, all of the discount is from the dealer including the reduced delivery charge. I reckon thats a bit poor. You would think BMW AU could kick in a 10% discount off the list price, given the huge margins thay are making here (given the AU dollar increase, etc)

I have bought two cars from one dealer and they aren't that interesting in doing much of a deal on the X3, eg about 4K off the drive away price of a $100K car. I normally get about 10% off. So not that happy with the deal really.

Which share gives you 5K off.. Might buy some if they are any good, as I trade a few shares and an extra $5k off sounds nice!

Which dealer did you end up doing the deal with?

Thanks.

Last edited by Uksa007; 01-14-2012 at 07:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 04:41 PM   #33
swallowtail
Private
Australia
Rep

You won't get 10% off list. Maybe off drive away, but that's a very different thing. LCT, GST, stamp duty make the difference. A 6% off list makes for almost 10% off drive away.

I'm not going to post public details of my deal, sorry. I don't know which dealer you are going thru, but I got a LOT more off than 4K off driveaway. Talk to another dealer.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 10:06 PM   #34
Uksa007
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You won't get 10% off list. Maybe off drive away, but that's a very different thing. LCT, GST, stamp duty make the difference. A 6% off list makes for almost 10% off drive away.

I'm not going to post public details of my deal, sorry. I don't know which dealer you are going thru, but I got a LOT more off than 4K off driveaway. Talk to another dealer.
I was referring to the corporate program. I reckon BMW Australia should kick in a 10% discount off the list price and the options, given the huge profit they are making here due to Australian Dollar increase and many other factors that I won't get into here.

I got 10% off drive away of my last bmws, should that be possible with the x3 or is still too new?

Maybe motorline are up for a deal?

Regards.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2012, 12:06 AM   #35
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
Quote:
Which share gives you 5K off.. Might buy some if they are any good, as I trade a few shares and an extra $5k off sounds nice!
The shares are in a Private company. We are not capital raising currently. Sorry.

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 11:16 PM   #36
Uksa007
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Hi,

So I am looking at getting a 30d here in Australia, do you think I should wait and see what happens in March.

I realise that a lot of these questions we don't yet have definitive answers, but maybe someone who has seen changes in Model years etc., can comment on how they have happened in the past.

Questions:

Will Australian production cars also see a change in line with US End of production in March.

Does anyone have the Start and end of production details for Australian cars?

Does anyone have any idea if there will be any changes to the Australian 30d.(I wish for paddle shifters with the M sport kit, as we don't get them currently, or even better it being replaced with the 35d at the similar cost.. now I'm really dreaming!)

Will Australian production cars change from 2011MY to 2012MY around March or will it be September this year? (Current 2011MY will have been around for 12months in March)

Will prices change in Australia?

If I order the car now it would be manufactured in March... If there is a change over in march for Australian cars, when does it occur? At the start of the month, middle or whenever they feel like it.

Thanks for your assistance.

Last edited by Uksa007; 01-18-2012 at 02:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 05:56 AM   #37
OOOSQ
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M / CLA45 AMG SB

Quote:
Hi,

So I am looking at getting a 30d here in Australia, do you think I should wait and see what happens in March.

I realise that a lot of these questions we don't yet have definitive answers, but maybe someone who has seen changes in Model years etc., can comment on how they have happened in the past.

Questions:

Will Australian production cars also see a change in line with US End of production in March.

Does anyone have the Start and end of production details for Australian cars?

Does anyone have any idea if there will be any changes to the Australian 30d.(I wish for paddle shifters with the M sport kit, as we don't get them currently, or even better it being replaced with the 35d at the similar cost.. now I'm really dreaming!)

Will Australian production cars change from 2011MY to 2012MY around March or will it be September this year? (Current 2011MY will have been around for 12months in March)

Will prices change in Australia?

If I order the car now it would be manufactured in March... If there is a change over in march for Australian cars, when does it occur? At the start of the month, middle or whenever they feel like it.

Thanks for your assistance.
I'm pretty sure cars being built in September/October onwards were plated 2012. My original car was due for delivery first week of December and it was 2012 plated.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 06:06 AM   #38
Uksa007
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OOOSQ View Post
I'm pretty sure cars being built in September/October onwards were plated 2012. My original car was due for delivery first week of December and it was 2012 plated.
Hi,

Thanks for the response.

Redbook shows the changes in October, but shows it as a 2011.

Did you end up getting a car, what is it plated?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 04:12 PM   #39
OOOSQ
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

My car arrives March, January build so 2012 plated.

I can assure you my original order that came in December was 2012 plated.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 06:54 PM   #40
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OOOSQ View Post
My car arrives March, January build so 2012 plated.

I can assure you my original order that came in December was 2012 plated.
Mind you, for the mark up we pay in Australia they shoudl all be "gold" plated.

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 10:57 PM   #41
OOOSQ
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Mind you, for the mark up we pay in Australia they shoudl all be "gold" plated.
Not wrong mate. We sure do pay a premium don't we...
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 03:03 PM   #42
saulgoodman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 N52T

Garage List
2015 BMW 328XI  [0.00]
Quote:
OK, am looking at the following:

xDrive30d M Sport
Carbon Black (fell in love with the colour, even though I wanted to like white at $2000 cheaper LOL) with Oyster interior
Sunroof, xenons, nav pro with 6NK and 6NF, Top View, Lumbar support, folding mirrors. RRP AU$101,000. Now on to the negotiation phase...
Whoaa...AU$101K??? with AU$1 = US$1.04, for that price we can buy TWO fairly loaded X3 35i's or TWO base X5 35i's or a loaded X5/X6M here in the States...
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 04:27 PM   #43
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sivakumarbalu View Post
Whoaa...AU$101K??? with AU$1 = US$1.04, for that price we can buy TWO fairly loaded X3 35i's or TWO base X5 35i's or a loaded X5/X6M here in the States...
Yes, but BMW is just taking advantage of the fact that we are all so incredibly rich here in Australia. With our mining boom and the extent of our coal and iron ore resources, the average wage makes just about everyone a millionaire these days. Even junior office assistants earn six figure salaries and drive luxury European cars. Its not strange to see small wads of banknotes left on a bench, when they fall out a pocket and its easier for the person who lost it to go to an ATM and get some more than it is to remember where they might have left it. You'll find the same problem in the OPEC oil states. BMW spots a wealthy market and adjusts their pricing to what the market can pay. MB, Audi, Ferrari, Lamborghini and Bentley all do the same.

And if you believe any of that bullsh*t I'll sell you a bridge.
We live in a country with draconian taxation rates to pay for our inefficient government and overly generous and much rorted welfare programs, a protected car industry which makes private imports complicated and prohibitively expensive, and a set of Australian Design Rules which means every car in Oz has to meet some puritanical restrictions on the most obscure car design elements in order to be able to be road registered.
BMW gouge us incredibly, but we stupidly keep going back because we like the product.
Rant over.

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 08:00 PM   #44
OOOSQ
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Yes, but BMW is just taking advantage of the fact that we are all so incredibly rich here in Australia. With our mining boom and the extent of our coal and iron ore resources, the average wage makes just about everyone a millionaire these days. Even junior office assistants earn six figure salaries and drive luxury European cars. Its not strange to see small wads of banknotes left on a bench, when they fall out a pocket and its easier for the person who lost it to go to an ATM and get some more than it is to remember where they might have left it. You'll find the same problem in the OPEC oil states. BMW spots a wealthy market and adjusts their pricing to what the market can pay. MB, Audi, Ferrari, Lamborghini and Bentley all do the same.

And if you believe any of that bullsh*t I'll sell you a bridge.
We live in a country with draconian taxation rates to pay for our inefficient government and overly generous and much rorted welfare programs, a protected car industry which makes private imports complicated and prohibitively expensive, and a set of Australian Design Rules which means every car in Oz has to meet some puritanical restrictions on the most obscure car design elements in order to be able to be road registered.
BMW gouge us incredibly, but we stupidly keep going back because we like the product.
Rant over.
Nail. Head.
Appreciate 0