BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-16-2017, 06:55 PM   #1
mjoshi
Registered
Rep
Drives: Acura TSX, BMW X3

Reliability and Extended Warranty for 2015/2016 model year ?

Hi All,

Thank you for add in this forum. I'm considering BMX X3 x2.8i v/s Audi Q5 2.0T premium plus. I've got an offer for 2016 BMW X3 with 40000 miles on it. Considering fact that factory warranty is only upto 50000 miles, should I reconsider this particular vehicle ?
Also if I go ahead with the purchase, how reliable are 2016 BMW X3 model in terms of problems. As well as if I need to purchase extended warranty, what will be my option ? We normally keep cars for 7-10 years and on average driving is around 15000 miles per year.
This will be my first BMW, currently driving Acura.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2017, 07:01 AM   #2
MichiganMike
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 xDrive 35i

Garage List
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2016 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
Consumer Reports indicates the 2016 BMW X3 is average in reliability. A 2016 Audi Q5 is above average in reliability. For comparison, a 2010 Acura TSX is rated much better than average in reliability. You should expect maintenance and repairs on the BMW X3 to be significantly more costly than for your Acura. The AWD and turbochargers on the BMW and Audi increase complexity and maintenance requirements relative to your Acura.

How was the X3 maintained to date? Mike Miller, the tech editor for BMW Car Club of America, suggests more frequent and comprehensive maintenance for a BMW if you intend to keep it beyond 100K miles. In particular, more frequent oil changes and other fluid changes may be advisable. For example, if the X3 oil change intervals were prolonged during the first 40K miles, this may impact reliability over the years you plan to keep your car.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=652218
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2017, 07:38 AM   #3
mjoshi
Registered
Rep
Drives: Acura TSX, BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganMike View Post
Consumer Reports indicates the 2016 BMW X3 is average in reliability. A 2016 Audi Q5 is above average in reliability. For comparison, a 2010 Acura TSX is rated much better than average in reliability. You should expect maintenance and repairs on the BMW X3 to be significantly more costly than for your Acura. The AWD and turbochargers on the BMW and Audi increase complexity and maintenance requirements relative to your Acura.

How was the X3 maintained to date? Mike Miller, the tech editor for BMW Car Club of America, suggests more frequent and comprehensive maintenance for a BMW if you intend to keep it beyond 100K miles. In particular, more frequent oil changes and other fluid changes may be advisable. For example, if the X3 oil change intervals were prolonged during the first 40K miles, this may impact reliability over the years you plan to keep your car.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=652218
Thank you that was helpful. So looks like if intending to keep beyond 100K, in that case Acura or Lexus is better buy compared to BMW or Audi ?
Another related question with regards to 2016 X3 that I've found, I looked up CARFAX and it shows that car was serviced once during this 40,000 mile period. Car was purchased in June 2015, It is 2016 model but looks like in 2 years time frame, it has put on lot of miles. Should I be looking at different vehicle ?
Thanks for your input.

Last edited by mjoshi; 05-17-2017 at 07:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2017, 09:53 AM   #4
MichiganMike
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 xDrive 35i

Garage List
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2016 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjoshi View Post
Another related question with regards to 2016 X3 that I've found, I looked up CARFAX and it shows that car was serviced once during this 40,000 mile period. Car was purchased in June 2015, It is 2016 model but looks like in 2 years time frame, it has put on lot of miles. Should I be looking at different vehicle ?
Thanks for your input.
BMW changed the oil change interval to 10K miles several years ago. This X3 should have had at least three or four oil changes.
f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php…
Some owners believe the oil change interval should be 7500 miles or less, particularly for the first oil change and BMW raised the service interval to reduce cost of maintenance included with new BMWs for 3 or 4 years in the US. A BMW dealer can tell from the key fob or VIN what services were performed by BMW service. Failure to timely change the oil on a high performance turbocharged four cylinder engine may contribute to turbocharger or other expensive problems. BMWs over 100K miles, especially if not properly maintained, may be more prone to have expensive problems ($5K to $25K) with the engine (for example, timing chain guide failure), automatic transmission or AWD components than some brands at high mileages.

The Audi Q5 has its own set of common problems for high mileage vehicles.
http://www.smellmyclutch.com/audis-t...adly-problems/
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/m...tion/index.htm

I purchased my 2016 BMW X3 35i because I enjoyed driving it much more than the competing Acura and Lexus vehicles. If reliability in a vehicle you will keep for 10 years is your priority, there are better choices than BMW or Audi in my opinion.
Appreciate 0